The High when you feel "In Control" of your eating

Options
So do you feel it too? When you walk away from something you want to eat and just say no. Do you feel that High? The one where you realize that the whole time you were walking by that bowl of candy at work you were holding your breath ...and you got far enough away from it that you breathed again! How about when you go to lunch with a coworker and they order pizza while you struggle with ordering a salad....but after you suffer through smelling that yummy pizza you can't help but smile from ear to ear that you made it through....that's what i call the "in control high" or " I did it high" I love that feeling and the more I do it the stronger I get!
Every single day I wake up and have to battle these little food wars! Do you? Do you have tips or tricks that you do to get you through these hard moments?

Replies

• DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Yes! Totally know what you mean. You feel good for making a good choice! It's much better than the moment of depression you have when you've eaten something you know you shouldn't have, and you can't take it back. You will never regret making a healthy choice, but you will always regret the bad ones :)
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    It feels great!
    It makes it easier to not eat the wrong thing just to remember how great it feels
    to be in control.
  • REDI4CHANGE60
    Options
    I absolutely get it also! I love the feeling of turning my back on cakes, candy, cookies and other sweets now when I couldn't do that a year ago. And bread?? I loved bread ... but now it is an occasional treat, not a staple, and I can turn away and leave it alone. Each and every time I do it I feel stronger!
  • krissypea79
    krissypea79 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Yes! I feel that way every day that I go to bed and I stuck to my good eating. It makes it that much easier to stick to it the next day, not wanting to mess up all the hard work I did the day before by not giving in to temptation. I find that eventually, I don't even want the bad stuff because I know how bad I feel (mentally and physically) afterwards. It's just not worth it! Feels way better to say no!
  • dandandee
    dandandee Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    totally! my roommates bought ice cream tonight but I didn't have any! I felt oddly proud of myself.
    Sadly, occasions where I splurge and eat happen more often than those where I don't
  • taniamatts
    Options
    One of the best feelings in the world!
  • mncodergal
    mncodergal Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Oh boy, do I ever know what that feeling is like. I get giddy when I make it home after work without veering off to the land of chips and dip. It's such a positive boost that even I'll want to exercise! For the 2nd time that day. Wow. :)
  • patti04005
    patti04005 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Yes! I feel that way every day that I go to bed and I stuck to my good eating. It makes it that much easier to stick to it the next day, not wanting to mess up all the hard work I did the day before by not giving in to temptation. I find that eventually, I don't even want the bad stuff because I know how bad I feel (mentally and physically) afterwards. It's just not worth it! Feels way better to say no!

Yes! When I go to bed knowing that I made it through the daily food battles and won ...the next day is so much easier to wake up to! And it is sooo true how yekky I feel when I eat wrong, just sluggish and tired and pay with it with a stomach ache afterwards!
  • patti04005
    Options
    totally! my roommates bought ice cream tonight but I didn't have any! I felt oddly proud of myself.
    Sadly, occasions where I splurge and eat happen more often than those where I don't

Awesome! Doesn't it feel great to know you won the battle :-) one step closer to being in control hang in there!
  • aikasm
    aikasm Posts: 63
    Options
    i know EXACTLY what you mean :) good for you
  • krissypea79
    krissypea79 Posts: 362 Member
    Options

Yes! When I go to bed knowing that I made it through the daily food battles and won ...the next day is so much easier to wake up to! And it is sooo true how yekky I feel when I eat wrong, just sluggish and tired and pay with it with a stomach ache afterwards!

Exactly!!!! When faced with temptation I try to remind myself that it will taste good, but that taste is only very temporary (seconds sometimes, lol), versus how yucky I will feel for hours afterwards. Most of the time, it just isn't worth it!! I feel so much lighter and have so much more energy when I am doing things right.
  • americangirlok
    americangirlok Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I don't know that I feel it specifically when I turn something down so much as at the end of the day and I log my stuff and it's in the green zone and I'm like yay!! I like feeling like there's an area of my life I can exert control over- sometimes it wears me out and Im like "I'm tired of this having to be an always thing." But most days being in the green and feeling in charge of my choices feels pretty damn good.
  • jennagoogles13
    Options
    I let those moments be the ones that define me and not the occasional little slip ups I make. I totally know the feeling and I love it. Every night I make a list of all the temptations I avoided throughout the day and I use that as my motivation:)
  • ryank81283
    Options
    I don't really get that "High" from that, i get it the most when i wake up the next day knowing i made it through all of yesterday getting my calories to lose weight and getting enough protein.
  • aeg176
    aeg176 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I don't know that I feel it specifically when I turn something down so much as at the end of the day and I log my stuff and it's in the green zone and I'm like yay!! I like feeling like there's an area of my life I can exert control over- sometimes it wears me out and Im like "I'm tired of this having to be an always thing." But most days being in the green and feeling in charge of my choices feels pretty damn good.

^^THIS^^ it is a great feeling!
  • patti04005
    Options
    I let those moments be the ones that define me and not the occasional little slip ups I make. I totally know the feeling and I love it. Every night I make a list of all the temptations I avoided throughout the day and I use that as my motivation:)

Very Inspiring! Thanks!
  • elfin168
    elfin168 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    no. i feel no high. i only seem to crave sweet foods when i am not eating enough. otherwise i can take it or leave it. i have a bite of chocolate cake this afternoon - and was like meh - no thanks - where as if i was hungry or calorie deprived i would have had trouble not eating it - and my body would have needed the energy
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    YEP,,, but not when it is about food,,, after 2 hours of cardio, WHAT A FEELING!