Help me find a good protein bar!

Options
Hello fellow MFP'ers! I need help finding a good protein bar!

So, I've been eating ThinkThin protein bars for a while as a snack and I really like them, but they're getting a bit expensive - boo. I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for protein bars that have a lot of protein, not a ton of sugar, and are decently priced. I'd appreciate all your input! thanks so much!

Replies

• amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Quest all the way! Higher protein than ThinkThin (I believe) good for you where proein bars are concerned, taste AWESOME and you can find them on sale on a regular basis
  • sgtlee13
    sgtlee13 Posts: 66
    Options
    I make my own! You can put in pretty much whatever you want and don't get all the other additives and preservatives you find in commercial ones. I make mine with oats, any type of raw peanut butter, golden raisins or dried cranberries or any other dried fruit, raw sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds. You can add dates if you want a it a little bit sweeter. There's a ton of recipes out there I'm sure.I picked one to just get started and just made it my own from there. Good luck!
  • celestinha
    celestinha Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I actually hadn't really considered making my own, but that's a great idea and it would save me sooo much money! I'll have to look into it!
  • TheShrinkingKween
    TheShrinkingKween Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I've been eating the Atkins chocolate chip granola bars for a morning snack. Although not "technically" a protein bar, they have 16 grams of protein and are only 3 net carbs. And they are really yummy, and under $7 for a box of 5!
  • justrun52
    justrun52 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Try Power Crunch bars (peanut butter is the best) They are about 200 calories, 5g of sugar, but 14g of protein and 11% calcium. I could eat them all day and they really satisfy me. Try Amazon, Vitacost, or Walmart.com for the best prices.
  • JHB2011
    JHB2011 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    i make my own too. i found some recipes on pinterest. i roll them in balls instead of bars because protein balls are so much more fun to eat ;]
  • Stumason2105
    Stumason2105 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Highly suggest you trying Quest Bars. High in protein, very low in NET Carbs, high in fiber to help you feel full. Very clean protein bar, check them out, I promise you will not be disappointed
  • zahid222
    zahid222 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    i always say eat your protein and try not to get it from shakes and bars...

I rarely ever have a shake or bar and I still hit my macro goal for protein with no problem ....

chicken, eggs, greek yogurt, steak, etc....
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I always keep atkins bars around. I only buy the Atkins Advantage Meal Bars because they are higher protein and more of a meal than the rest. I especially like thr chocloate chip cookie dough and peanut butter granola bar (both have a ew carbs and about 15 or so grams of protein).

I also keep isopure low carb protein powder around for shakes mixed with peanut butter or fruit. this is more expensive but has 50grams of protein per two scoop serving.
  • cdswicky
    cdswicky Posts: 43
    Options
    I personally like the Pure Protein Bars, the chocolate chip or the peanut butter chocolate are the best. I had open heart surgery about a year ago and need extra protein. So I called the company and told them how much I loved their bars and asked them if they could send me some coupons. Guess what, they sent them..YAY! The Giant brand are pretty good too, but the Pure Protein are better, low in sugar and they have 20 gm of protein.

I actually hadn't thought about making my own, but now maybe I'll look into that. That's what I love about MFP, these chat boards are so full of cool people sharing ways to be healthy.

Thanks MFP peeps. You guys RAWK!
    :love:
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Currently on hand here:

Quest bars
    Promax Fit N Crisp
    Luna Bars
    Clif Builders
    Balance Bar
    NuGo
    Corazona Breakfast bars

We like variety ;^)
  • annakath9
    Options
    YES!!! PowerCrunch are my favs after trying many, many kinds. I like the candy-bar-like crunch, it's good psychologically. And the specs are good - low sugar, good protein, etc.
  • schaapj2
    schaapj2 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    bump for later!
  • jenndymond
    jenndymond Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Cliff builder bars!! 20g and you can read every item on the ingredient list. And they taste awesome. I love the chocolate mint the peanut butter is good to.
  • americangirlok
    americangirlok Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I make my own! You can put in pretty much whatever you want and don't get all the other additives and preservatives you find in commercial ones. I make mine with oats, any type of raw peanut butter, golden raisins or dried cranberries or any other dried fruit, raw sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds. You can add dates if you want a it a little bit sweeter. There's a ton of recipes out there I'm sure.I picked one to just get started and just made it my own from there. Good luck!

I might have to make this a weekend project!
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I also make my own but for convenience - NuGo OR Quest are awesome to have!
  • stephanie40403
    stephanie40403 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I actually hadn't really considered making my own, but that's a great idea and it would save me sooo much money! I'll have to look into it!

Google Jamie Eason protein bar recipe. That's the one we use in our weightlifting program at my gym.

My gym owner also sells the quest protein bars