Turkey Roast - How do I log?

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to log this? I'm pretty sure the information given is raw, but I'm pretty sure I'm not going to eat it raw. I am going to try it as an alternative to the Oven Roasted Turkey that I am using (4 oz) on my lunch salads now.

img022b.jpg

I couldn't find anything in the database that I thought was right. The only thing I found on a Google search that might make sense was this...

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/poultry-products/925/2

Thanks for any tips.

Replies

• onehurt
    onehurt Posts: 143 Member
    Just add it to the database if you can't find it....... You have all the info there to add it... Kind of a pain, but then it will be there for everyone and you too! Raw is the way most foods are listed before cooking. Too many variables if fried etc. I think that youlog it as the raw calories even if it is less weight after cooked. Somebody correct me if I have this wrong

Mark
  • DavidC1857
    DavidC1857 Posts: 149 Member
    Most of the roasted turkey listings I see are much higher in calories than that. That's the problem. I imagine some fat is going to cook off, and probably quite a bit of water. If I log it as it is, it seems like I'm going to be getting a lot more calories than I'm reporting.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Most of the roasted turkey listings I see are much higher in calories than that. That's the problem. I imagine some fat is going to cook off, and probably quite a bit of water. If I log it as it is, it seems like I'm going to be getting a lot more calories than I'm reporting.
    OK, here's what I'd do ... but my wife says I'm OCD. (Feel free to agree)

Weigh it frozen/uncooked. Weigh it once it's cooked and drained. (yes, a little fat will drain, but it won't skew the result that much...)

Divide the frozen/precooked weight by the roasted weight, multiply your calories and macros by the result.

IE: if it's 10lbs uncooked and 8lbs cooked, 10 / 8 = 1.25 ... multiply your calories and macros by 1.25 for the same serving size on the label, and you're quite safe in your totals, because if anything you'll over-report your fat and calorie intake instead of under-report. (Assuming the nutrition label is correct, and the USDA allows a 20% margin of error, so it's close-ish.)
  • DavidC1857
    DavidC1857 Posts: 149 Member
    I was kind of thinking something like that myself. I will have to cook it and see what I get.

I have to thaw the thing first and that is going to take a bit.