disapointed

Options
So instead of going to the gym last night. I walked almost 3 miles with my mother and aunt. I even jogged.. just a LITTLE but I did mix it up a couple times. I wore my cheap watch calorie tracker thing. Well it said that all I burned was 100 calories! UGH that sucks. I thought it would have been more than that. We, well I lol was walking at a fast pace and then mixed in the jogging a couple times. Today my upper legs and buttox are a little sore. But all it burned was a measley 100 calories. I enjoy doing that instead of going to the gym for cardio. But when I do the arc trainer, I burn close to 400 calories in 35 minutes. What a bummer

Replies

• StarryEyedGirl
    Options
    how much do you normally burn at the gym? at least it was a chance of pace for you!
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    how much do you normally burn at the gym? at least it was a chance of pace for you!

• maryann73
    maryann73 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Give it a try again on another day. I find that happens to me too some days depending on humidity, how I feel, etc. I can walk the dog one day and burn 300 calories and do the same walk the next day and burn 90. So if you enjoy it, just try it again. Plus, it is always good to mix it up and keep the body guessing. :smile:
  • KateDonnelly
    Options
    I agree. Try it again. It's good to mix it up and rewarding yourself with exercise that's fun for you seems like a really good tool for overall health. Mental and physical. You also use muscles while walking that you don't use for other activities. Ones that lift mood as well as burn calories.
  • fraochin
    fraochin Posts: 48
    Options
    You may not have lost as many calories but it definately helps you lose inches AND tone up so don't be worrying! Sometimes the fresh air we get on a walk is just what we need! x
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I think you explained it yourself when you said your "Cheap watch calorie tracker thing." It sounds as though you don't trust your tracking watch...and if you did walk at a serious pace for 3 miles, your calorie burn should've been higher than your watch showed.

I walk my dogs brisky for 20 minutes each...I have 3 dogs. I travel just over a mile with each dog and generally burn between 120-140 calories per dog. So, at the end of an hour, and getting around 3.5+ miles in, I'll burn somewhere in the 400 calorie range. When I was less fit, it was closer to 500, but I'm becoming much more efficient as my fitness progresses, so my calorie burn is lower now.
  • april522
    april522 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    How often did you take your heart rate while doing all of this? If it wasn't fairly frequent, it might be off for that reason.
  • elzettel
    elzettel Posts: 256
    Options
    Hmmm...100 seems a little low. I walked yesterday for about an hour (roughly 3 miles) and my Polar said I burned about 265. The terrain was a little hilly but I for sure was not pushing myself hard--I'm a little less than 10lbs heavier and I know that can make a difference. You might want to consider a better calorie tracker/Heart Rate Monitor. All the same just getting moving is always a good thing!
  • popplylily
    popplylily Posts: 97
    Options
    yeah but, in my experience lord knows why, but jogging walking has a MASSIVE effect on weight los totally out of proportion to cals burned.. youll see if you keep it up!
  • sweetbn
    sweetbn Posts: 318
    Options
    I wore my cheap watch calorie tracker thing.

There's your problem! I am sure you burned more than 100 calories in 3 miles. Especially if you are sore today. Definitely get a new HRM!! Mine was only 35$ from buy.com and seems to be VERY accurate. GL!!
  • S_H84
    S_H84 Posts: 75
    Options
    It sounds about right to me. I ran 1.5 miles the other day and had 120 or something calories. Personally, I don't do running as a single work out, unless I go more than 20 minutes, but use it either as a warm up, or after my cardio to burn some extra calories.

You have to think, that if you walk with the occasional jog in between you probably don't keep your heart rate up where it needs to be. Even if you did over 20 minutes (because that is when glucose stops burning and fat calories are being used), I cannot image that your heart rate was were it needed to be?!
    The reason you were sore the other day is because for jogging you use other muscles or use them differently than on a normal day-to-day basis.

However, I know it is discouraging but jogging is a good work out if you throw it in between other work outs. But as a single work out it just doesn't cut it if you don't run (or keeping you heart rate up with fast walking) for at least 30+ minutes.
  • S_H84
    S_H84 Posts: 75
    Options
    I wore my cheap watch calorie tracker thing.

There's your problem! I am sure you burned more than 100 calories in 3 miles. Especially if you are sore today. Definitely get a new HRM!! Mine was only 35$ from buy.com and seems to be VERY accurate. GL!!

Soreness has nothing to do with burning calories. All it means is that there are little tears in the muscle because we did an exercise that our body wasn't used to (such as running) or because we pushed our body too far.....
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    Theres no way you only burned 100 calories. Lose the watch. :laugh:
  • Mary_Burris
    Mary_Burris Posts: 120
    Options
    There is nooooo way you only burned 100 calories in 3 miles.....My HRM says I burn 100 calories JUST Cleaning my house in 30 minute! lol. if you can get one with a strap that would be the way to go, I have a Polar F6 and I LOVE mine!!!!!
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    I agree that the HRM isn't accurate.

1, 14 minute mile burns about 125 calories. When I walk my dog for 2.5 miles in about 35 minutes I usually burn about 250 calories.
  • sweetbn
    sweetbn Posts: 318
    Options
    Soreness has nothing to do with burning calories. All it means is that there are little tears in the muscle because we did an exercise that our body wasn't used to (such as running) or because we pushed our body too far.....

Soreness is an indication of muscle fatigue. In order to fatigue muscles you must work them harder than normal. I venture to say any day that you are sore you did a decent amount of calorie burning. Just saying if she's sore I'm sure she worked harder than burning 1-2 calories a minute.
  • pfenixa
    pfenixa Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    How often did you take your heart rate while doing all of this? If it wasn't fairly frequent, it might be off for that reason.

Read my mind. I have a cheap HRM and it counts my calories burned very accurately, but I do have to regularly have it check my HR. I don't know how other HRMs work but if your's is like mine and you only did your HR at the beginning then it was only counting calories at the lower HR. That definitely won't reflect your true calories burned.
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    Theres no way you only burned 100 calories. Lose the watch. :laugh:
    x2
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options

Soreness is an indication of muscle fatigue. In order to fatigue muscles you must work them harder than normal. I venture to say any day that you are sore you did a decent amount of calorie burning. Just saying if she's sore I'm sure she worked harder than burning 1-2 calories a minute.
    Not really. For example, if you lift a very heavy weight, you could tear the muscle fibers, experience a ton of soreness the next day and burn next to nothing as far as calories...
  • lmr9
    lmr9 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Don't be discouraged - keep up the walking!! :flowerforyou: I went for a walk last night, and as I was walking I put each of my hands on my side just above my hips, and I could feel my muscles moving with every step. That was totally motivating and encouraging for me - and hopefully it is to you too - to know that our muscles are working and we are walking our way to fitter, healthier bodies!!! :bigsmile: :flowerforyou: