Should I do heavy lifting? Where do I start? Help!

Options
So I've lost weight but it seems as though I'm just looking flabby. I really don't see a difference when I look in the mirror, just fat. And now the scale is not budging much. I still have about 100 lbs to lose, is heavy lifting recommended at this time? Where should I start? Is there a specific program that can be one at home? And what do I eat?

HELP! Anyone have success with heavy lifting at home? And how much weight have you lost?

Replies

• jujuki47
    jujuki47 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Well Im new on here , Ive lost a total of about 12 lbs but only 5 since MFP. I do love the Les Mills Body pump tho... It really tones you up fast if you stick with it.. I bought the set so I could do it at home ... you will ache all over after this ( a good ache ). Im interested in heavy lifting later maybe when My weight is where I want it but I think the Pump series is a perfect way to start out.... makes you stronger!!
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    You could always start with basic bodyweight exercises. Squats, pushups, etc. You want to be able to settle into a good squat position before you even put a bar on your back.

Resistance training (i.e. lifting heavy) is always a good idea for any exercise program.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Yes, I strongly believe you should do heavy lifting! I do it and have lost 107 lbs in total. Lifting has changed more than just my physique, it is a huge confidence booster and I'm strong as hell! :happy: As for starting I really recommend reading either The Female Body Breakthrough by Rachel Cosgrove or New Rules of Lifting for Women by Alan Cosgrove (and co-authors, can't remember their names) I love both books. Another good starting point is Starting Strength, focusing on all the major compound lifts. There are also groups on here for NROLW and Starting Strength full of knowledgeable people. Good luck!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Look into the book, "New Rules of Lifting for Women." I also recommend Mark Riptoe's "Starting Strength." I'm a huge proponent of building up a good foundation of functional strength with low rep, high weight compound lifts. These aren't lifts to bulk you...these reps are not in they hypertrophy range, they are in the strength training rep range but also go a long way in changing body composition, especially if you're new to the weight room. These types of lifts (squats, bench press, dead-lifts, overhead press) work the biggest muscles of your body to their fullest extent for optimal results.

If you don't have access to the equipment and can't get to a gym, look into resistance bands and/or body weight stuff. Nerd Fitness has lots of good ideas.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/

The term "lifting heavy" is most often synonymous with the big compound lifts I noted earlier...that aside, it is important to do some form of resistance training regardless of where you are in your weight loss journey. If you aren't using your muscles, you're losing your muscles. In the absence of resistance training while eating at a calorie deficit, you will lose a lot of muscle as well as the fat.
  • niqua215
    niqua215 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I have the les Mills Pump set but I see it more as cardio. I'm wondering if heavy lifting would help me shed more fat.
  • sheleen302
    sheleen302 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Heavy lifting has helped me shed fat, and shrink in inches, quite a bit. I started with a program (also a group here) called Strong lifts. It's the basic compound moves. Wishing you many strong days ahead!
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I have the les Mills Pump set but I see it more as cardio. I'm wondering if heavy lifting would help me shed more fat.

I agree Les Mills is more cardio and endurance. And yes HL will help with the fat shedding. Your scale weight may stall but you will drop inches like crazy! Which is better than scale drops any day, IMO! So take measurements.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    yes it will definitely help. heavy lifting and strength training will ensure that your body predominantly burns fat while you lose weight and not fat and muscle. the result is that you 2will look as if you've lost more weight than what the scale shows

start with body weight first to make sure you have the form correct and then gradually start adding more weight.

look into programs like starting strength, strong lifts and wendler 5/3/1
  • niqua215
    Options
    What about cardio? How much of it would I need to do? And how much of a calorie deficit?
  • niqua215
    Options
    Bump for more advice.
  • Dana_gets_fit
    Dana_gets_fit Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Still do your cardio. Do about 30 minutes a day or every other day. I started heavy lifting last week. I follow the Labrada 12 week program. Its a combination of lifting and cardio. He will also advise you on calorie deficits, also. www.labrada.com or check out bodybuilding.com. It has a few programs to help with fat loss.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Start lifting now. Pick a compound lifting program like Starting Strength, Strong Lifts, or the New Rules of Lifting for Women. You can still do cardio, but you don't need to do a lot of it (you don't need to do it at all, honestly, but I still like to).

Calculate your TDEE and subtract 20%. Eat that level every day. Aim to get at least 0.8g of protein per pound of lean body mass. Set your fat and carb macro goals accordingly.
  • niqua215
    Options
    I'm ready ya'll gonna start tomorrow with my husband's 25 lb dumbells and my Body pump weights for now.
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Yay, friend!!!!! Welcome to the club!! I'm looking forward to seeing your progress. Oh yeah, if you're ever unsure of how to do certain lifts, YouTube is a really good tool. Also check out some of the groups in the community forum:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/12919-girls-who-lift-the-guys-who-spot-them
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/12971-nrol4w-spring-2013
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/102-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,550 Member
    Options
    I have done a lot of different lifting, but I think StrongLifts 5x5 is the best beginner program. There are only 5 lifts and you alternate 2 groups, 3 times a week. Squats, Bench Press, Rows one day and Squats, Overhead Lifts, and Deadlifts the next. Then the first group again, etc. You start with the unweighted Olympic bar and add 5 lbs each session. Until things get really heavy, you are only focusing on form. I added onto this a set of abs workouts - crunches with kettlebell or hanging leg lifts or slant board sit ups. It was easy and very effective.

I've had to take time off due to non weight lifting-related injury, but am getting back to the gym again!

Here is the link to the SL5x5 program (it's free) - http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/
  • OneEyeUp
    OneEyeUp Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    You should absolutely lift. Women with muscles is quite "dreamy." Look up womensfitness.com . They have planned out weight lifting programs for women from beginner to advanced. Good luck.
  • brittyxx
    brittyxx Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I love hitting the heavy weights! I work out with a personal trainer, if that's in your budget I strongly recommend it! (i live someplace where I have him for an hour for like 20$, I feel like I'm getting away with murder!) It'll help you with your form and it's good to have someone who can spot you and gauge what your weights should be like after assessing your strength! Good luck girl!!!
  • niqua215
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I'll be starting with the strong lifts routine.
  • dirtyd89
    dirtyd89 Posts: 170
    Options
    If your trying to lose weight I wouldn't advise you do heavy lifting because that will put on muscle weight which will make the scale go up and not down.
    I recommend you do lighter weights and more reps.
    That's what I'm doing.
  • EdNorthcott
    Options
    Start lifting now. Pick a compound lifting program like Starting Strength, Strong Lifts, or the New Rules of Lifting for Women. You can still do cardio, but you don't need to do a lot of it (you don't need to do it at all, honestly, but I still like to).

Calculate your TDEE and subtract 20%. Eat that level every day. Aim to get at least 0.8g of protein per pound of lean body mass. Set your fat and carb macro goals accordingly.

Quoted because good advice bears repeating. Nothing reshapes the body like building strength, lean mass, and a good diet to fuel the fire and carve off fat.

Just pay very close attention to movement quality and form when performing compound lifts. There are those who claim that squats are bad for the knees, or that overhead presses are risky for the shoulders, etc; these things are only true if poor form is used, or there are pre-existing mobility issues.

Stretch thoroughly, use full range of motion, pay close attention to form (it can be daunting at first, but hang in there), and you'll do fine.