natural sugar and fat -how do i deal?

de1amo
de1amo Posts: 266 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
i eat quite a bit of fruit and nuts in my diet which always pushes my fat and sugar totals over the recommended levels--should i ignore them because they are natural products not processed or saturated fats--i eat almonds which are suspose to be a healthy nut!

Replies

• sophieshaped
    sophieshaped Posts: 228 Member
    I had this same problem with fruit as it was pushing my sugar over. I asked my dietician friend – obviously this is only her opinion and is not based on mfp – but she said not to worry too much about the natural sugars (from pieces of fruit – not sure about dried fruit) as the benefits of eating the fruit outweigh the added sugar.

However I think there's a limit with the nuts as your body can't deal with too much of the fat at once. I personally stick to a small handful a day.

I have to say I've found it way easier to stick to the sugar limit once I excluded natural sugars! :o)
  • de1amo
    thanks--i think sense tells me you are right about fruit--its processed sugar that should be avoided.
    İ read up about almonds though and they have very good health qualities unlike lot of other nuts and using the same logic as fruit being healthy could i take the same stance?--its not saturated fat in almonds
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    thanks--i think sense tells me you are right about fruit--its processed sugar that should be avoided.
    İ read up about almonds though and they have very good health qualities unlike lot of other nuts and using the same logic as fruit being healthy could i take the same stance?--its not saturated fat in almonds

Fats are not bad for you and fat limit should not be lowered so much...........

It is important for vitamin absorption, hair, skin, nails, helps to retain skin elastisity...........

And Saturated fat is not bad for you like they like to report.....................It is a natural fat also.
  • de1amo
    i have trouble equating things like dried almonds and olives with fat content--i live in a country where nuts are a regular provider of protein due to the heat and cost of meat--its disportionate to the rest of costs of living meat so people tend not to include it in their diet--nut and olive shops are on every street corner but i still need meat for my anglo saxon cravings!!--i bought 300 grammes of prime steak mince the other day and it equated to 3/4s of an hour's work for a teacher
This discussion has been closed.