tattoos and possible weight regain!

Options
de1amo
de1amo Posts: 266 Member
someone asked about what happens to tattoos when you lose weight but i am wondering what happens to a tattoo you get when you are thin and heaven forbid ever gain weight--i am considering one as a reward for getting to my target weight--must add i am 47 and wonder if old skin is 'nice' with new tats--my wife loves tattoos and i am becoming attracted to them--she has 6!

Replies

• IrishChik
    IrishChik Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I have eight tattoos on various parts of my body. I have gotten them at various stages of my life as well as weight. I know some people had mentioned problems with extreme weight loss or gain depending on where you place the tattoo and how your skin is. Personally, I have no problems. My tats are all in the same spot. I also tend to put a lot of moisturizer on them to keep the color. Could have helped, never know.
  • de1amo
    Options
    would it be possible to say the place you have them?? and where are the trouble places--i am off putting them on my legs because they are hairy but my upper arm or bi-cep seem favourite and discreet--
  • fraochin
    fraochin Posts: 48
    Options
    I have some on my hip and have gone up and down since I got them and I am fine!
  • sweetn3ss
    sweetn3ss Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I have 9 tattoos - 3 on one leg, 2 on the other, 1 in between my shoulder blades, 1 on a shoulder blade, 1 on the back of my neck (my favorite), and on my arm in the shoulder area. I was much lighter 150lbs when I got most of them and they are all in the same spot and the color is great.
  • de1amo
    Options
    sounds like a thumbs up then--my wife's are mid dark green with blue outline--anyone got any favourite combinations suitable for a man
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I have 8 also..........

One on my stomach, both arms, right hip, left chest area, both ankles, and my right shoulder.............

I have gained and lost weight since I have had them and 2 of the tats I have had since I was 17 years old and weighed 110 pounds. The shape and form is great, but the color has faded, I need to get them retouched.
  • PapaPolarBear
    Options
    as long as it's not extreme loss or gain, your skin has a certain amount of elasticity so as long as you lose or gain gradually it won't really affect a tattoo other than the size of it. you may need a little touch up, but i haven't had any problems with mine and I gained about 40 lbs since i got my first one on my leg back in 2000, and then i've lost 30 lbs in the last 3 months and if anything they look a little more defined but they never really streached out too bad to be distorted.
  • de1amo
    Options
    thats another thing that worries me--when does this elasticity go? i am 47 so no spring chicken for getting my first tattoo
  • de1amo
    Options
    thats another thing that worries me--when does this elasticity go? i am 47 so no spring chicken for getting my first tattoo
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    My tattoo artist explained that if you gain weight, think of your tattoo like a balloon. You stretch out the balloon and the color saturation decreases, you loose weight and the color saturation returns to normal (if you lose more weight than gain, the color can be darker)
  • karlita0408
    karlita0408 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    same here I have gained and lost over and over with all mine. I have 5 and my oldest one is 19 years old. They all look the same as far as stretching goes. A tattoos biggest enemy is the sun. ALWAYS apply sunblock to all your art. It is so sad when someone ruins there tats with tanning. Ever notice how tattoo artists and people with lots of art tend to be very pale? They know what they are doing. LOL. My only suggestion is, NO wolves or native american themed tattoos. Those are so out of style. Traditional american tattoos are what is hip now, and since they are traditional, will never be out of style. Think of old sailors back in the day and what they would get. Have fun!!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I remember asking my SIL what her tattoo will look like when she is 70 years old! She said "Well I WILL be 70........so who knows what ANY part of my body will look like??"

She has doubled her weight since getting one in such a place as very few will ever see it.......and it looks the same today with a bit of fading, I am expecting from stretching. (we are 49 btw)

If you want a tatt...........go get one where ever you want it. Life is short.
  • de1amo
    Options
    up til recently i have always been against tattoos but i sense this may be a mid life thing lol--my dieting was started back in January on my birthday when i drew up a list of goals for the coming year--that in its-self was a first --i am looking to see if i can have my eye sight corrected next! there is a long list lol
  • sweetn3ss
    sweetn3ss Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Correct your eyesight first, that way you are sure your new tat looks great. lol
  • princessorchid
    princessorchid Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I have 20+ tats in various places.

I have flowers on both feet
    a kanji symbol on my right ankle
    an anklet on my left
    daffs from ankle to knee on my right leg
    a gorgon on my right thigh
    chinese charachter on my right inner thigh
    a chain on my left outer thigh
    a art nouveau design linking some more tropical flowersacross my stomach and down my right hip#
    a paisley swirl under my bellybutton
    a sun on my ribs
    flower petals on my chest
    my mum's name and an orchid on my waist
    my mum's nickname for me and an orchid on my waist on the other side
    7 star outlines filled in with flower petals down my back
    a catseye on my back, around bra level
    a snowflake onmy shoulder
    a dolphin on my shoulder, a little lower down
    angel wings on my right upper arm
    a tiny star on right front shoulder
    3 bird silhouttes just above my bum on the right side
    a lizard on my spine
    an eye on the back of my neck

I got my first ones when I was 16 and skinny as a toothpick, gained about 50lbs and then lost the weight again...now have gained that weight back unfortunately and am on the road to losing it again...anyways, other than two I got when I was 16 (a heart on my left breast and a devil on my hip, which have since been covered up) none have changed or been affected by my weight fluctuations. I think the reason those 2 took it so badly was because I was a flat chested teenager who grew boobs almost overnight (before the weight came on), so it must have just been my shape wasn't properly developed yet.

The otehrs are all fine!
  • jdsouthernbelle
    Options
    up til recently i have always been against tattoos but i sense this may be a mid life thing lol--my dieting was started back in January on my birthday when i drew up a list of goals for the coming year--that in its-self was a first --i am looking to see if i can have my eye sight corrected next! there is a long list lol

I am 30 years old and I have 3 tattoos on my back...I have lost and gained weight over the years and they are all just fine. I also have had lasik done 4 years ago and it was the BEST thing I have ever done for myself. DO IT!
  • de1amo
    Options
    lasik is something i have to explore--if by lasik you mean the eye sight ops--i am at the stage in life when my lenses are stiffening it seems and i need to get a check up done soon because i would have difficulty seeing the right tat in a ill lit salon with my current glasses--years ago they said once you get to a certain age you cant be rectified???
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I have 9 tattoos - 3 on one leg, 2 on the other, 1 in between my shoulder blades, 1 on a shoulder blade, 1 on the back of my neck (my favorite), and on my arm in the shoulder area. I was much lighter 150lbs when I got most of them and they are all in the same spot and the color is great.

I've been wanting a tattoo on the back of my neck--can you tell me if it hurt at all? I currently have one on my lower back and for the most part it was pain free just tickeled me...

As for the original post---If you really want a tattoo--go for it :) its a great reward and reminder of how far you have come (if you are doing it as a weight loss reward) I have one currently and even though I've gained/lossed weight it still looks great, and I want more :)
  • pfenixa
    pfenixa Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    [I've been wanting a tattoo on the back of my neck--can you tell me if it hurt at all? I currently have one on my lower back and for the most part it was pain free just tickeled me...

I don't have one on my neck but a friend of mine got a phoenix at the base of her neck/top of her back (not really ON her neck so it may be different) and she was crying the whole time. The main time a tattoo is gonna hurt is if it's on a bony area. I have one on my right shoulder (near the blade) which didn't hurt that bad and one on the back of my left hand that was the same way.

I've been curious about this topic too because I've been wanting a third tattoo for a few years. I wanted to get it on the side/back of my left calf but I waited since I wanted to lose weight first. Now I finally am so I think the time might be approaching. :wink:
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    My tattoo artist explained that if you gain weight, think of your tattoo like a balloon. You stretch out the balloon and the color saturation decreases, you loose weight and the color saturation returns to normal (if you lose more weight than gain, the color can be darker)
    My ''tramp stamp'' is most def darker now than when I got it done 7yrs ago - and its been thru 2 pregnancies.