Clean, fresh, RAW Challenge for JULY!!!

Options

Replies

• butterfly08uk
    Options
    Hi Mindy

I have ordered some books on Amazon, 80/10/10 and Food Rules and also Ani's Raw Food Essentials to get me started.
    The only raw food I have ever had has been some fruit and veg...lol
    I had fruit for breakfast....but mixed apples and banana with some defrosted berries....
    I live in Ireland and everything fresh is very expensive here.
    I am off to the Framer's Market on saturday morning to see what I can find..... and Aldi supermarket have a few specials each week in the fruit and veg dept.
    Some of the things you recommend like juicers and blenders etc are very pricey....
    But hey I will start small, read the books when they get here (next week I suppose)

Thanks
  • kickitlarson
    kickitlarson Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    RMccully, did the pasta say it was raw? Pretty sure that it isn't and the bread isn't raw either - but since you are in transition they are both very good foods to keep you on the right track. However in the beginning you may have days where you just don't feel good mixed with days of super energy - this will happen as you adjust & clean house. Also make sure your eating enough!! Are you hydrated as well?

Butterfly, yes many of them are super expensive - that's why I gave alternative (even some of those are expensive!!) Really since I have streamlined my diet the only thing I use is a blender & I still don't have a vitamix...just a cheap blender. This doesn't have to be very complicated and its much easier & healthier when its not. Eating fruits & veggies in the whole food form is optimal and nothing else even needs to be done.
  • rmccully
    rmccully Posts: 319
    Options
    MY BLENDER AND MY JUICER ARE WHAT I USE ... I LOVE THEM! I USE ONE OR BOTH AT LEAST ONCE A DAY. WHO AM I KIDDING THEY BOTH GET USED A TON. OH AN A GOOD KNIFE.

MY SON MADE DINNER BY HIMSELF YESTERDAY AND WANTED IT TO BE A SECRET.

HE FIXED QUINAO PASTA, CUT FRESH RAW ZUCHINI, CORN, AND RED BELL PEPPER. HE MIXED IT ALL TOGETHER IN A BOWL AND POURED A FRESH TOMATOE/BASIL/OREGANO/CILANTRO BLEND OVER IT. THE FRESH ROMA TOMATOES FOR THE BLEND WAS GREAT.

WHAT A SON. :)
  • kickitlarson
    Options
    YUMMY!!! How old is your son? He is very well educated on nutrition or he just has some pure tastebuds. Great job mama!! Sorry I haven't been around very much as I found out my husband is coming home earlier than expected so my week to do list got chopped into two days. Keep up the great work!! Fresh clean & simple = Yum!
  • moreveggiesplease
    Options
    I'm in! :P
  • sailady
    sailady Posts: 26
    Options
    I love juices for breakfast - the one I normally have is a dan the man special:
    1 lemon
    3/4 hot green chillis
    1 cucumber
    1 bunch celery
    1 bunch coriander (cilantro for yanks)
    1 bunch parsley
    I also throw in a load of kale that I have growing in my garden.
    oh and some ginger!

Its amazing!!!!
  • rmccully
    Options
    I HAVE DONE MY BEST TO SHOW HIM RIGHT. HE EATS GOOD WHEN HE IS HOME BUT NOT THE BEST WHEN HE IS OVER AT HIS DADS. BUT OVERALL I THINK HE EATS BETTER STUFF THAN A LOT OF KIDS. ONE OF HIS FAVORITES IS BROCCOLI, HE ALSO LOVES KIWI AND STAR FRUIT.

I DONT BUY JUNK WHEN WE ARE AT THE STORE AND HE DOES NOT EVEN ASK FOR ANYTHING. OH AND YOU ASKED HOW OLD HE IS, 12.

HAVE A QUESTION WITH ALL THE BANANAS AND FRUIT ...THAT MAKES YOUR BLOOD SUGAR GO REAL HIGH AND THEN CRASH. THATS NOT GOOD RIGHT?
  • kickitlarson
    Options
    Great to have ya Leah!!

Dan the man is an awesome asset to the raw food movement - glad your enjoying some of his creations! Good for you being able to drink veggie juices - I just can't - wish I could but it doesn't seem to work out for me.

RMC - i don't think its something to worry about as long as your staying close to 80-10-10. Here is Harley's hilarious video on this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSJ_rhJuxYE
    And a thread where people are discussing and tracking their info: http://www.30bananasaday.com/forum/topics/blood-sugar-testing?id=2684079:Topic:553115&page=1#comments
  • UmmBinat
    UmmBinat Posts: 39
    Options
    Here I am to do my best starting tomorrow. I've got to read though the whole thing. But it's past time for bed. DD (toddler) DH along with me but not exactly participating.
  • yentess
    yentess Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I have a question for everyone that juices. I have a very picky 7 year old who refuses almost every vegetable. So I was wondering if anyone has juice recipes that use fruit and veggies and taste sweet and not too much like veggies??? I can get her to drink the carrot apple juice that I make, so I am hopeful I can get more of a variety of veggies into her body if I juice them.
  • rmccully
    Options
    add cucumber and celery to the carrot apple. they are good. you can add different leafy greens aswell. kale, spinach, romaine, swiss chard.

last night I made a carrot cucumber....2 cucumbers fresh from the farmers market and 6 carrots
  • UmmBinat
    Options
    I ate breakfast and some more raw yesterday for dinner too. I got to bed after 10:00pm, in fact way, way later than that but I have a goal to change that to 10:00 pm this month and thereafter as I do know it is healthier. DH works nights though..

Now, July 2nd, I’m doing wonderful today!! Just saying that I can see I am going to become more positive staying on this way of life!!!

Today I rose early and did oil pulling which I do regularly each morning, I brushed and flossed then drank lots of water not one liter though but I am still sitting here drinking some. Maybe that gets easier all at a time? I then had about 27 chunks of cantaloupe, which are approximately 3lbs as per Dr. Graham’s menu plan you listed!

I then lay in light sun for 15 minutes (I have to up my intake of sun by a lot) I live in Canada and don’t get out a lot during sunny hours.

I then did light exercise for ½ hour. I have to get back into this as well. I am too sedentary at home and have being like that for a long time. Saying that, I am not overweight, if anything I am underweight. I ate quite healthy for my body for the last 5 years (with tons of food allergies I deal with) and just want to do this challenge to make myself in optimum health and why not increase better sex as well.

I do try to eat local and organic when I can. I don’t drink our city tap water for all it’s chemicals, I drink spring water only. I am not vegan at this point so I do consume local unpasturised honey (raw). I am dairy free but noticed you have yogurt in one of the menus, I know that raw type is meant but do you recommend that? I understand dairy to be more bad than good. Saying that I don’t consume milk and haven’t for a long time and here is one recipe worth a raw try, Sesame Mylk, my own recipe: http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/sesame-tahini-milk-dairy-free-392870

I loved my experience with sprouting quinoa and would like to do it again and try other sorts of sproutings as well.

I don’t eat kiwis as I find my lips tingle and swell a bit if I eat them. :s

I tried to access your files on http://bit.ly and signed up as well but I still can’t open them once downloaded.

When should we drink (water) before or after eating and by how much? I always thought you are better off drinking after eating although that contradicts the before breakfast ritual.

For optimal well being, I have to play more and not on the computer, specifically RecipeZaar ;) I need more security in my life. I am in quite a precarious situation and my environment is not very pleasant right now.

May I know which diary you are referring to related to the contest as I would like to be in :)
  • rmccully
    Options
    http://caloriecount.about.com/truth-starvation-mode-ft28742

someone posted this link what thoughts do you guys have with this?
  • sailady
    sailady Posts: 26
    Options
    woo hoo 2 days completely raw!
    only 6 more to go and I'll beat my personal best!!!!

I'm actually enjoying this healthy kick..... just the maintaining it that I always struggle with.
    I have just started Bikram Yoga which is yoga done at 110f or 45 celsius for us british people

The only thing I am slightly concerned about is that it does say not to do bikram when fasting or detoxing - now i know my body is detoxing!!!! does this count?

Oh well I'll carry on my merry way.

Mindelicious when I first juiced vegetables a few years ago I threw it all up and then went and had a big curry! I have adjusted more now - my husband and myself have been juicing for about 4 months - just invested in a breville (its amazing!)
    I started on 2/3 fruit to veg juice and can now stomach full veg juices.

I tend to drink the juice I listed above in the staffroom (I'm a head of performing arts) and people look at me as though I'm crazy but I'm really digging it!
  • UmmBinat
    Options
    I have a glow today. I don't remember ever looking like this and this is my first full raw day! Also with the little excersize. I wonder what I will make for dinner..
  • kickitlarson
    Options
    Ahh!! I feel so behind on everything! My husband came home yesterday & we also got two itty bitty puppies yesterday AM so I've been running around like a crazy woman. Puppies are bathed and husband is at work. You have all been quite busy!! Glad to have you join us Ummbinat!!
    So far here is the list of RAWkin peeps:
    Ummbinat
    Sailady
    RMcCully
    Yentess
    MoreVeggiesPlease
    Rahshe03
    Eliblish
    Butterfly08uk

Ummbinat, the diary is the food log here on MFP - you can also refer it to a RZ recipe & i don't mind checking it out - I might even make it too!! Congrats on your first full raw day - glad your feeling great!! Your day sounded amazing!! I can't wait until things mellow down around here and I get some "health & happiness" time - hopefully tomorrow.

Way to go Sailady! I would love to try Bikram - they don't offer anything like that around here though. You are doing a very easy detox through raw foods & I would think that bikram would cause detox anyway. I would just make sure to drink plenty of water and just know that you are eating the best foods possible!!!

Yentess - cutting veggie juice with fruit is probably the easiest. Apples & pears are great for that. Cucumber, carrot, and celery are easy to disguise. I can even put a couple handfuls of spinach into smoothies and not even taste it - usually turns out green but its thick and bubbly because of the smoothie & you could tell him its slime!!!! Slime is tasty - most kids know this :D

Keep rawkin' it out beauties!!
  • UmmBinat
    Options
    Ahh!! I feel so behind on everything! My husband came home yesterday & we also got two itty bitty puppies yesterday AM so I've been running around like a crazy woman. Puppies are bathed and husband is at work. You have all been quite busy!! Glad to have you join us Ummbinat!!
    So far here is the list of RAWkin peeps:
    Ummbinat
    Sailady
    RMcCully
    Yentess
    MoreVeggiesPlease
    Rahshe03
    Eliblish
    Butterfly08uk

Ummbinat, the diary is the food log here on MFP - you can also refer it to a RZ recipe & i don't mind checking it out - I might even make it too!! Congrats on your first full raw day - glad your feeling great!! Your day sounded amazing!! I can't wait until things mellow down around here and I get some "health & happiness" time - hopefully tomorrow.

Way to go Sailady! I would love to try Bikram - they don't offer anything like that around here though. You are doing a very easy detox through raw foods & I would think that bikram would cause detox anyway. I would just make sure to drink plenty of water and just know that you are eating the best foods possible!!!

Yentess - cutting veggie juice with fruit is probably the easiest. Apples & pears are great for that. Cucumber, carrot, and celery are easy to disguise. I can even put a couple handfuls of spinach into smoothies and not even taste it - usually turns out green but its thick and bubbly because of the smoothie & you could tell him its slime!!!! Slime is tasty - most kids know this :D

Keep rawkin' it out beauties!!

I will try adding the diary here and refer to RZ recipes if I used them in this thread :)
  • butterfly08uk
    Options
    I am enjoying the 80/10/10 book (I'm in to p65) been 75% raw so far and feeling great!

I read Michael Pollan's Food Rules in about an hour..... I think I might have to demand that ALL my friends and family read it....lol

Thanks Mindy for enlightening me

Good luck everyone

xx
  • UmmBinat
    Options
    I made http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/pear-slush-390605 Pear Slush as a snack just now. I am just guessing some amounts in my Food Diary since I don't measure. Since I didn't have a food diary before, the first two days I added what I remember.