Please check my deadlift form (link to video included)

Options
Hey guys!

So I recently started deadlifting and just really would love to get some feedback on my form. Thanks so much! :flowerforyou:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10200455226721424&l=1731336842390449403

Replies

• KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    bump :smile:
  • ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Excellent! That's some good weight to be starting on, kudos!

I'm somewhat of a novice when it comes to the deadlift, so I'm going to bump this for others to see as well. If you don't get a reply after my comment, then maybe post this in the "Strength Training" group forum.

Your back looks pretty straight and tight, which is good. But it looks like your deadlift is happening in two motions. Watch, and you'll see what I mean. You're kinda straightening your legs first, and then you're pushing your hips forward/shoulders backwards. From my understanding, you want to start pushing your hips forward as soon as you start pulling, and you want the lift to be one smooth motion.

Part of this might be starting position. I can't see where the bar is at the beginning on your feet, but it might be a little far forward. I'm pretty sure you need to bring it a little closer to your shins.

I hope someone a bit more experienced can provide some feedback. From what I can tell, there's nothing seriously wrong with your technique (that would indicate potential injury or anything). And just keep practicing.

Again, awesome job thus far!
  • charlierefvem
    charlierefvem Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Nothing looks obviously bad. I would suggest getting your butt a little lower, which will cause your knees to move further over the bar a little. This will activate your quads a tiny bit more and let you do more weight. I agree with the poster above saying you should try to focus on one fluid motion. One of the greatest benefits of the deadlift is teaching your nervous system to use all of your muscles together effectively.

I'm impressed by your ability to keep your chest up and your back in a relatively neutral position, which is the MOST important thing for deadlifting. It should be at relatively the same curvature as when you are standing. you are doing the right thing with your head as well, looking forward instead of down/up/any other direction.

I'd also suggest letting the bar come to a complete rest on the ground, if only for an instant, before your next rep. Otherwise you are not doing a deadlift because the weight is not dead.
  • cng31183
    cng31183 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • MiamiKid305
    MiamiKid305 Posts: 357
    Options
    looks good just as long as you keep the bar as close to you as possible and keep your hips back
  • fenna3107
    fenna3107 Posts: 46
    Options
    Excellent! That's some good weight to be starting on, kudos!

I'm somewhat of a novice when it comes to the deadlift, so I'm going to bump this for others to see as well. If you don't get a reply after my comment, then maybe post this in the "Strength Training" group forum.

Your back looks pretty straight and tight, which is good. But it looks like your deadlift is happening in two motions. Watch, and you'll see what I mean. You're kinda straightening your legs first, and then you're pushing your hips forward/shoulders backwards. From my understanding, you want to start pushing your hips forward as soon as you start pulling, and you want the lift to be one smooth motion.

Part of this might be starting position. I can't see where the bar is at the beginning on your feet, but it might be a little far forward. I'm pretty sure you need to bring it a little closer to your shins.

I hope someone a bit more experienced can provide some feedback. From what I can tell, there's nothing seriously wrong with your technique (that would indicate potential injury or anything). And just keep practicing.

Again, awesome job thus far!
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    You're kinda straightening your legs first, and then you're pushing your hips forward/shoulders backwards. From my understanding, you want to start pushing your hips forward as soon as you start pulling, and you want the lift to be one smooth motion.

I agree, looks like you're straightening your legs first then lifting the rest of the weight with your back... It may be a condition of the weight being too light...
    When I deadlift I think about pushing my legs down into the ground through my heels (kind of like you would on a leg press machine), then driving through with my hips.
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    not too bad at all.

135lbs? good stuff!

couple of things i see: hips coming up too fast (as has been mentioned :P ). you wanna get your hips a little lower at the start and use your legs more to initiate the lift. then use your glutes to finish it off. you'l know you are getting it all right when your start scraping your shins. :p

this will all come with experience though.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the feeback guys! Very much appreciated!
  • hungryhobbit1
    hungryhobbit1 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for this thread, with the video! I've just started deadlifts again after 8 years, and I knew I was doing something obviously wrong. It's very awkward to do them at my gym because there's no rack for the olympic bar and nowhere good to do them, and no one else ever does.

Don't know what I'd do without the internet for help.
  • DostThouEven
    Options
    +1 to start with butt lower. otherwise looks pretty good.