Options
I snack on fruit a lot of the time?

Is this good for losing weight though?

or is it full of sugar?

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter what you eat as long as you stay in your calorie budget.
  • chellendannyhollie
    Options
    I eat a lot of fruit too and was wondering the same thing.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Just watch your carb and calorie intake.

Fruit is fine.
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Fruit's as natural as can be, it's fine :wink:
  • ukheather
    ukheather Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I eat fruit for snacks, but make sure you count the calories as they can be high calorie
  • Whipppets
    Whipppets Posts: 267
    Options
    I read an article that countries that eat whole watermelons daily are the heathiest people in the world.
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    I eat fruit for snacks, but make sure you count the calories as they can be high calorie
    Which fruits are these?
  • Fit4Ibiza
    Fit4Ibiza Posts: 39
    Options
    I eat a lot of banana's which I know are quite good for you

and apples and grapes

grapes are full of sugar I know
  • Fit4Ibiza
    Fit4Ibiza Posts: 39
    Options

I'm sorry but I don't know that much about nutrition....

But that is wrong!
  • Gail3260
    Gail3260 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Like the others have said.....fruit is good for you but if you eat a lot you will rack up the calories. Make sure you log it all and as long as you are under your calorie goal don't worry about the natural sugar it contains. Try replacing some of it with raw veg instead....carrot sticks, cherry tomatoes etc.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Australian healthy eating guidelines suggest 2 fruit and 5 veggies every day. I think fruit is a great snack, as long as it's part of a varied diet - in other words make sure you get a range of veggies and other good stuff in there too.
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Fruit is an excellent snack, handy, tasty and portable. TBH I don't pay much attention to fruit sugar, natural sugar is different to eating spoonfuls of white sugar.
  • Loisxyz
    Loisxyz Posts: 17
    Options
    Fruit sugar is fructose and fructose is not good for the system. Therefore don't eat too much fruit. Those highest in fructose are bananas and tropical fruit. Lowest are berries. Check this out... http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/nutrition/a/fructosedangers.htm
  • wllwsmmr
    wllwsmmr Posts: 391 Member
    Options

But that is wrong!

I'd be inclined to disagree with this! I do believe that for most people, as long as there's a calorie deficit, you can lose weight/fat. Fruits are healthy and come with lots of fibre and vitamins, so I don't really think it is that much of an issue unless you have some medical condition that limits sugars! As long as you count those fruit calories and they fit your caloric goal. That said, I have read that your macros (carbs, proteins, fats) affects your body composition and A LOT of fruits bump up carbs by quite a bit. Optimally it'd be better to eat more proteins so if you could eat some proteins instead of some of the fruits then go ahead! But if it's something you can't change then heck fruits are better than processed junk food.
    I myself have been one that has dieted quite a bit, and have always looked at calories and never paid attention to macros much because I love my fruits and love my carbs. I still lose if I stick to my caloric goal.

ETA: you can lose weight eating junk, you just get to eat less of it to meet your caloric goals because junk food are usually void of nutrition and not filling but very calorie dense. It makes it harder to feel full and energized by trying to eat junk. That is why the whole eating healthy works because you get to eat a whole lot more and feed your body the right nutrition to fuel your body.
  • pollyineedtobeskinny
    Options
    Always tell myself it's better than choc!:love:
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with a bit of fruit so long as you're not dealing with some sort of blood sugar-related issue. Just make sure you're tracking it. If you're concerned about the amount of fruit you're eating, replace some with veggies. Make sure you're hitting your protein and fat goals as well.
  • wavedancer123
    wavedancer123 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I eat one fruit serving a day, has it has lots natural sweetness in, and I vary the choices.

If I want a snack I eat 5 green olives, pickled cucumber spears (from a jar) or couple of slices of lean ham, all low on the GI scale.

I stay with my calories, and it works for me.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options

But that is wrong!

Based on what?