Anyone Else With Reflux?

Options
Is anyone else out there struggling with acid reflux? I've had it for a long time, and I take the chewable version of Pepcid. My doctor has recommended stronger prescription medication, but I prefer to make as little medication as possible. It gets worse at a certain hormonal time and also with certain spicy foods. I'd really be interested in any natural methods others have used to tame it down. I know I should avoid trigger foods, but unfortunately they're all things I like.

Replies

• fabulara
    fabulara Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I have reflux and have the same trouble as you with the foods I'm supposed to avoid. They're my favorites! My doctor suggested that I sleep with my head higher than my feet, so my husband added blocks to the top legs of the bed. That helped quite a bit! Also, I cut down on my coffee consumption, as the doctor said that that was the single most important thing I could do. He also said that my ongoing weight loss should help quite a bit with the GERD or reflux thing. So you may be doing something for *your* GERD just by being on this site and taking care to be slim and fit.
  • kendunn579
    kendunn579 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I used to get it quite bad. Was on medication for a while to reduce acid production, but didn't like the idea of messing about with my body's natural procuction without detailed tests.

So I was popping antacid tablets by the score, well 8 or 10 a day anyway.

Then when I lost weight it all stopped. I haven't had an antacid tablet since August, and do eat spicy food and drink coffee.

My guess is it's to do with internal fat and now that's gone so has the heartburn.

So keep at it, as Fabulara says this site will help and you will reach a tipping point and with luck the pain will disappear.
  • youcantfoolme
    youcantfoolme Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I also had it along time and developed barretts esophagus (a pre cancerous condition - thank God it hasn't developed into cancer as this often does and 2 stomach ulcers as well) from not treating the acid reflux with a ppi (proton pump inhibitor) sooner. Now I have to have a upper and lower G.I. with biopsies done every year the rest of my life as there is no cure for barretts so if it ever does turn cancerous my doctor can catch it early to give me the best chance for longevity. Do not wait any longer and see a gastroenterologist asap so you can get immediate relief.
  • suz155
    suz155 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I understand,,,,too well. I used to get it every night, for a long time,,,, when I was trying to sleep. Ive lived on ppis and tums for years. Did the whole gastrenologist visits , every year....he would say the same thing,,,,lower your fat and lose 50 lbs. Someone already mentioned,,,,the cure,,,,weight loss. I havent had any reflux since I joined MFP and changed my eating habits. Number one offender for me, was high fat.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Hi!

First, that looks like Tony Dabaloni (sp) from Dancing with the Stars in your picture! :love:

Anyway, I too have reflux and wish like crazy I had quit the foods that aggravated it 3-4 years ago, continued in my weight loss/exercise regime, before they did perm damage to my esophagus.

When I was 48 I had dropped 35 pounds and the symptoms pretty much went away of both the reflux/ibs.

After a few bumps (ok sinkholes:laugh: ) in the road, I quit exercise and eating right. It all came back with a vengence!

Keep exercising, lose some weight, stick for 1 month to the diet your doctor has prescibed to get it under control. I bet you feel better!!

Do it now and your body will thank you later. :flowerforyou:
  • nornyb
    nornyb Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I used to have wicked reflux and took some kind of med twice a day to help, as well as drinking baking soda with water when the med didn't control it. Less than a week into tracking my food with MFP it just went away, except for meals that have a high tomato content. I haven't taken Zantac or Pepcid or any other med since January.
  • sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Hi!

First, that looks like Tony Dabaloni (sp) from Dancing with the Stars in your picture! :love:
    Yep, that's Tony! I write about Disney and got to dance with him in Beast's ballroom at a media event. I was totally swooning!

I'm glad to hear weight loss helps with reflux. It's so annoying to live on the "complete" antacids. I probably should try the prescription meds, but I just hate to tinker with my stomach's natural function.
  • dymaxxion
    dymaxxion Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I will second and third and fourth that starting a weight loss regime has helped my reflux. I used to have to take a lot of pills to keep mine at bay because all my favourite foods were triggers. (I love coffee, alcohol, and spicy things!) Since I started MFP a couple weeks ago I've only had to take pills a couple of times instead of a couple times a day.

It's helped that I've been avoiding alcohol but you can't keep me away from my coffee!
  • KyliAnne26
    KyliAnne26 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I was bulimic in highschool and college and now I have chronic reflux and heartburn, I take omeprezol magnesium daily and as long as I'm consistent with it every morning, it keeps everything under control no matter what I eat (Which is great, because I also LOVE spicy food!). However, my fiance's parents take a natural papaya supplement for their heartburn, maybe give this a try? They swear by it.

I understand what you mean about not wanting to take meds, but the risk of Barrett's syndrome that other people have mentioned is real if you don't get it under control - either naturally or with medication. Good luck, hope you find something that works for you!!
  • allikat93
    allikat93 Posts: 236
    Options
    Peppermint tea and Camomile tea!!! They are a god sent. I suffer from acid reflux. At one point I had two stomach ulcers (I had lost 60 lbs in 3 months.. 180 to 120.. I looked sickly) my dr put me on Prilosec but I hate pills. I started drinking camomile tea and peppermint tea and I now rarely if ever have acid problems. I have noticed my bfs fav cookies trigger my acid reflux but if I have tea right after it is avoided. Also..avoid laying down for at least two hours after eating.
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Hi!

Yep, that's Tony! I write about Disney and got to dance with him in Beast's ballroom at a media event. I was totally swooning!

I'm glad to hear weight loss helps with reflux. It's so annoying to live on the "complete" antacids. I probably should try the prescription meds, but I just hate to tinker with my stomach's natural function.

Squeel! Lucky you:love: I love him.

I resisted the scripts too until my friend told me about her Barretts. I am taking it now only because I am waking up with that taste in my mouth, sore throat and coughing. you know exactly what I mean! So I figure while I am sleeping it is doing it's damage.

That is what is funny about mine. I stop eating at 5 pm. My reflux only comes on at 5 am in the morning! (as well as my ibs symptoms)

The exercise seems to do a lot for the symptoms. Even someone I know with severe reflux has found a great deal of relief in exercise and weight loss.

If we want to stay off the meds, I guess we will get to dancing, huh! :wink: :laugh:
  • MamaZappa
    Options
    New to the boards, but I'm a refluxer as well, all my life. Even as a kid, I would "revisit" whatever I'd eaten (not vomiting, just burping it up). Sorry for that image!!

As an adult, I've had heartburn for decades. At times I've "controlled" it with just Tums or other calcium antacid (great when I was pregnant - needed the calcium then anyway!) but it's worsened over the years to the point where I started taking omeprazole daily, a few years ago.

Lately it's worse even with the omeprazole - mainly severe hoarseness and seemingly-worse asthma. The asthma's been ruled out, as well as a couple of other likely "asthma mimics", so all this got me a trip back to the gastroenterologist and another endoscopy which fortunately "just" revealed worsening reflux-related damage - no Barrett's etc., phew!!

I'm hoping the weight loss will help, though when my weight was down a few years ago it didn't seem to make much difference. I'm doing the usual lifestyle changes (don't tell the doctor I was eating a bowl of chili as I wrote this!!!) - not avoiding spicy foods etc. entirely but trying to eat them earlier in the day, and making dinner something less challenging. No desserts in the evening either, sigh, as that's one thing that made me reflux very very obviously.

Right now I'm also on a different PPI - not sure if it's stronger, per se, but it has immediate and delayed-release components. Obviously long-term PPI use isn't ideal given what they're finding these days.

Something else to look at is whether anything else you're taking might worsen reflux - I've been on an older asthma medication for, well, decades, and it's a known aggravator. I don't know if I'll be able to stop that long term, but am trying a dosage reduction for now.
  • notmac
    notmac Posts: 89
    Options
    I don't have problems with reflux, but my husband has in the past. I would rather avoid medications, and he take's enough different medications, so I look things up on the internet. My favorite site is Earthclinic.com. I would suggest ginger. For him, I just cutt a chunk of fresh ginger, and made a ginger tea, let it steep for like 5-10 minutes, you can drink what every amount you want/need. Also, candied ginger may help.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Apple cider vinegar used to work for me, though I know it doesn't work for everyone. It depends on what's causing the problem.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/272447-acid-reflux-remedies-with-apple-cider-vinegar/

My reflux problems went away immediately and entirely when I began my diet, and I realized later (much later) that it was because I'd quit eating potatoes. I've added all of the other major groups of carbs back to my diet, no problem, but still can't eat potatoes without that old pain coming back. I never get a hint of heartburn otherwise.
  • nautral_fan
    Options
    I used to have to avoid orange juice and the like - but on a recent business trip found a product Caye Vida which is Cayenne with Green Tea Extract in a capsule and after 5 days the result was amazing. No more burning trouble. I bought the product at kingnature.ch. Brilliant stuff
  • pennydreadful270
    pennydreadful270 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend the liquid type of antacid - like gaviscon - as they actually have a secondary action* and are far more effective than the plain chalky chewy stuff. Tastes like soap though.

But exercise and losing weight really does seem to be the best cure. Like so many things.

(*they have an alginate component that forms a "raft" on top of the stomach contents to stop it sloshing back up.)
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    I'd recommend the liquid type of antacid - like gaviscon - as they actually have a secondary action* and are far more effective than the plain chalky chewy stuff. Tastes like soap though.

But exercise and losing weight really does seem to be the best cure. Like so many things.

(*they have an alginate component that forms a "raft" on top of the stomach contents to stop it sloshing back up.)

Thank you for the info. I wondered and couldn't find an answer. This makes sense.
  • emmas42
    emmas42 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm on omeprazole (Or however you spell it!) but a couple of little things that help me are:
    Little sips of water throughout the day. It sounds so obvious, but it helps me a lot and makes me avoid the coffee a bit more.
    Sleeping on my left side. Again it sounds like a daft thing, but it works. It's due to the stomach leaning over to the left. If you sleep on the left hand side the opening is higher and so there is less likely to be "leakage" (Eeww!)

As with everyone else, I find as I lose weight, the symptons affect me less and less.