First Half Marathon on Sunday!

Options
I'll be running my first half marathon on Sunday. I'm really excited and also REALLY nervous!

My normal daily calorie goal is 1540 (I am currently aiming to maintain my weight). I have mfp set to sedentary and so eat back my exercise calories - I find this way works best for me. How many calories should I be aiming to eat per day in the run up to my half marathon? I know I need to be properly nutritioned up so I can get round the run!

My aim for the run is to keep jogging the whole way and simply to finish! Please wish me luck too :-)

Replies

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    FUN!! FUN!!! FUN!
    Good luck and have a blast!
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Have an awesome time! Good luck!!!!
  • GaryinPilling
    Options
    You don't need luck, you've worked hard for this!
    Hope you really enjoy it, should be a blast.
  • ruwise
    ruwise Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    My husband is running his first marathon on Sunday and for that he needs to eat about 3500 calories a day so I'd guess you should up your calories to at least 2500 for the next few days at least. Good luck.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    For my half last year I ate my same normal healthy diet. I wasn't tracking calories at the time so I can't really give you a guess on how many I was taking in but I didn't change anything in the days up to the race. It worked for my 13 mile training runs that sometimes went up to 3 hours so I thought id be okay for the race that I finished in 2:20 with no fatigue issues. Of course everyone is different, I don't have any background in this stuff and the more I read the more confused I got so I stuck with normal. Good luck!
  • weatheredcheese
    weatheredcheese Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Havent a clue about the calorie situation but good luck and great respect for this, I have recently run my first 10k.
  • momofJandA
    momofJandA Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't change your eating habits this close to race day- you've established a system of eating that has worked for you thus far in your training- STICK WITH IT . . . you don't want to feel bloated or fatigued on Sunday.
    I do "carb load" the night before a half- which for me means a plate of spaghetti, meatballs, and a slice of garlic bread . . .and quite possibly a chocolate peanut butter ice cream cone from Stewarts ;)
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    OMG! have FUN!!!!! you're gonna do great and remember to post after the race and tell us all about it
  • kingofcrunk
    kingofcrunk Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the support :-)
  • hazymary
    hazymary Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I would carb load for 2 days...but nothing new or different, also HYDRATE !! Best of luck on race day...YOU GOT THIS !!