Old Lady Dieting

Options
LainMac
LainMac Posts: 412 Member
Hi Folks,

Here is the intro. I'm in my late 40s. (50 is less than 2 years away.) I'm finding using the MFP food diary less obnoxious to use than the "pen and paper" method. I am trying to not use "special foods" but eat stuff that I already have in the house. Started at 216, aiming for the low 160s. Not that anyone but me would think 160 is an okay weight for someone of my height but at that weight I am in a size 12 or 14 which I’m happy to be at. (You can shop the clearance racks at all stores at those sizes.)

I am a mum to 4 kids (ages 9 to 16). My youngest three are very active, quite slender, and my lone daughter has to be cajoled into eating enough food. So I am in the interesting position of preparing calorically dense nutritious foods while preparing myself low calorie nutritious foods. That kind of sucks.

I am on day 6 of keeping the diary. So far I notice that I am eating fewer carbs and fat but more protein and fiber than recommend by the program. Does anyone know where MFP got these recommendations?

Also, despite having this breakfast in the morning, I’m still stupid hungry at 10:30am

Pepperidge Farm - Whole Grain Soft Honey Oat Bread, 2 slice 200
Teddie - Unsalted Old Fashioned Natural Peanut Butter, 1 tbsp 95
Hero - Blackberry Fruit Spread (Jam), 1 Tbsp 50
Fresh - Watermelon, 1 cup 46
1/4 Cup Whole Milk - Vitamin D Milk, 1/2 cup 76
Coffee - Brewed from grounds, 2 cup (8 fl oz) 5
Milk - Nonfat (fat free or skim), 1 cup 86

Total Calories 558

I only have 1770 for the day. Any suggestions?

Thanks for listening.

Lain

Replies

• MrsBattousai
    MrsBattousai Posts: 171
    Options
    Welcome!

My idea for your breakfast is Oatmeal and fruit really filling and also All-bran fill me up pretty good. Also try eggs or egg white cottage and some lean Protein helps as well! I find if I eat toast in the morning I'm hungry as well!

Good luck!
  • fowlmeli1093
    fowlmeli1093 Posts: 199
    Options
    You could try to use a low calorie bread too. I use Village Hearth bread. You could save an additional 70 calories by just switching the bread you use.
  • blakgarnet
    blakgarnet Posts: 343
    Options
    I've found that it takes a bit of time of doing this to adjust to eating less. If you're still hungry, go for some lean protein (4oz chicken breast is 100 calories) or fruits or veggies. Breakfast for me is oatmeal with fruit in winter or yogurt with kashi cereal and fruit in summer. most of the time is is under 200 calories and very filling, but it did take a few weeks to no longer be hungry around 9 or 10am
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Welcome Lain!

Glad you found us - as far as being stupid hungry, maybe plan some small snacks mid morning/afternoon. String cheese, if you have some or a small amount of nuts. You can work them in, also make sure you have protein with your breakfast, it will help it "hold" longer.

Going over on protein and fiber is a good thing. Their settings are kind of low in those two. And staying under on carbs is probably helpful too. You seem to be trucking along well - good job!
  • linzismith
    linzismith Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    i'm going to have to third the oatmeal idea. it's the only thing that keeps me full for longer than two hours. i do 1/2 cup dry oatmeal, half a banana, and half a tbsp of peanut butter, with some cal-free sweetener like stevia. it's delicious.
  • LainMac
    Options
    I love oatmeal but sadly, *SIGH*, it doesn't hold me at all. The hubby makes a vat of it for the crew a couple of Sundays a month. The Irish Steel Oats kind.

I did have some chicken which helped and then got a bag of trail mix from the vending maching. (2 servings my Aunt Fannie - 2 servings for a mouse).

Went over today but I think I"ll be even for the week.

Thanks to all who responded.
  • sandara
    sandara Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    The more protein you can get in the morning helps. Unless your worried about cholesterol a two egg omelet with low fat cheese is good. I skip the toast. Sometimes I make an egg and cheese sandwich with low-cal bread. You can add lean ham or I prefer just tomatos and cheese. Sometimes I make an egg and cheese sandwich with low-cal bread. I usually only cook breakfast on the weekends though. I've even made a ham & cheese sandwich for breakfast using the flat sandwich rounds. Cottage cheese is high in protein also and I sometimes have cottage cheese and low cal fruit like applesauce or peaches.

You can change your settings in your food diary if you want to. I increased my protein and lowered my carbs a little bit. Just experiment until you find the right combo for you.
  • LainMac
    Options
    Sandara- love the new twist on the old tag line.
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    try kashi cereal- very dense in fiber, it tends to fill you up with fruit and milk.:wink:
  • astrosnider
    astrosnider Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I always come out over on protein and fiber even though I am under on calories. I wouldn't worry about it because protein and fiber should make you feel fuller.
    As far as breakfast goes, I have found that if i have 3/4 cup of Nature's Path pumpkin seed granola with 1/2 cup of plain nonfat yogurt and a cup of strawberries I can go from 7:30 a.m. to noon without getting too hungry.