Travel Kettle Cooking!

Options
Hey everyone,

I'm off on holiday in a couple of months, stopping in a self catered hotel with no kitchen! :noway: All we'll have is a Kettle and due to baggage restrictions we won't be able to take a microwave or anything with us.

So, this is a very random question but does anybody have any ideas of healthy-ish foods that we can cook with just a kettle?

Simply so we are not spending a complete fortune in restaurants every night! We can buy in cold food but we don't have a fridge so we would have to eat it straight away.

Things like Oatmeal, Instant noodles....

Thanks in advance for any comments! :bigsmile:

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I asked my son (qualified personal trainer) and his advice was "doner kebab flavour Pot Noodles".

He will get a slap for that when I get home!!
    (If I can catch him...)
  • PrincessNikkiBoo
    PrincessNikkiBoo Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I asked my son (qualified personal trainer) and his advice was "doner kebab flavour Pot Noodles".

(If I can catch him...)

LOL! Nice but not the healthiest! :laugh:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

(If I can catch him...)

LOL! Nice but not the healthiest! :laugh:

this just makes me fancy kebab meat and chips!!!!!
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Can I have chicken tikka on pitta, lots of salad please? That's actually quite healthy.... :wink:

ETA, sorry about that, I didn't even address your question because I was drawn by the allure of kebabs. I'm not sure about the 'healthy' aspect - I dare say you'd be able to make your own salads with cheese/meat/tinned fish and those would be healthier - things you just need to add water to tend to be very processed. How about the little boil in the bag foods that you get in camping shops, I'm not saying to boil the kettle with them in OBVIOUSLY, but you could immerse them in the hot water?
  • kornmaiden
    kornmaiden Posts: 109
    Options
    Look for boil in bag entrees at your local supermarket. Also most supermarkets have packages of pre grilled chicken and already mixed salads with dressing on the side. Some even have salad bars. Get mostly fruits and veggies. If refrigeration is a problem canned fruits packed in juice or water are a good option. Just buy what you are going to eat in a day.
  • abadmum
    abadmum Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    boiled eggs....
    rice.. (boil the water put rice in, seal the lid over with clingfilm.. let the rice steam)..
    cous cous..
    go to a climbing/outward bound type shop.. they will have lots of freeze dried meals in bags that you add boiling water to.. my brother climbs and lives off them in the moutians