Has WeightWatchers Ruined Me?

Options
I've been on WW since October last year. I got 7lbs off lovely and quickly but over the last month everything has stalled and now (in the last week) my appetite has vanished entirely.

I'm an old member of MFP so I know that I should be eating more calories than I am (I average 1200 a day, today I'm forcing 1500, I should be ideally on 1800) but now I'm not interested in food this is feeling like a very hard task.

I can't help but think that 6 months on 1200 has caused this, I'm upset that I was dumb enough to think that WW would be right for me this time.

For the first time in my life I'm not worried about losing weight, infact I don't care if I stay this weight forever, I just want to enjoy food again. I'm scared that as I'm still working out a couple of times a week that I'm going to do myself some damage

As I said, I'm doing a little increase over the next week now, a good 200 extra cals per day until I start hitting at least 1700 again.

Has anyone else experienced this kind of appetite loss from a low cal diet?

Replies

• kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Don't force yourself to eat more with such a large jump in calories! Just increase your calories by a 100 a week or so until you get comfortable again to 1800kcals.
  • marshallexi
    marshallexi Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Oh, I will be going steady on the increases, believe me. Most days lunch is a daunting task!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    It's pretty common for people to lose their appetite when under-eating for a long time. Up your cals gradually and give it some time. You should find that your appetite returns. In the meantime, aim for calorie-dense foods (cheese, nuts, avocados, chocolate, eggs, olive oil, peanut butter, full-fat dairy etc) that will help you get to those higher goals without making you feel stuffed. Looking at your diary - use full fat Lurpak instead of the "lighter" version, maybe 2.5 or 3 tbsp of peanut butter instead of 2 (that sounds amazing by the way!), a little extra protein powder, full fat guacamole instead of reduced fat, when you have a baked potato, add a little butter or cheese, 3 slices of full fat leerdammer, not 2 slices of "light", 20 g of almonds instead of 15 g, proper noodles instead of "slim" noodles (whatever they are...) etc. Just getting more calories in could really help with your appetite.

When I'm bored of my food, I try to buy new things from the supermarket I haven't tried before, or search for recipes on the internet. It's so easy get stuck in a rut. Maybe trying some new things would give you more enjoyment.

If you manage to get to your goal in calories and do so for a few weeks, and still find you have no appetite, it might be worth talking to your doctor to make sure there isn't something else going on.
  • kellehbeans
    Options
    Oh, I will be going steady on the increases, believe me. Most days lunch is a daunting task!

Good luck with it. Also, I agree with JesterMFP. Eat higher calorie stuff just to get those calories up!
  • Bighiker2
    Bighiker2 Posts: 100
    Options
    I am on a 1200 right now to lose the last 3 lbs. and haven't lost my appetite at all. Once I reach goal, then I will need 1500 to maintain it, according to MFP. Do you need 1800 daily to maintain? =)
  • marshallexi
    Options
    Again, Weight Watchers brain fog, I would never thought of going back to full fat cheese and butter, but that does make sense.

(I'm allergic to cows milk, hence all the soya/almond/coconut milks and yoghurts).

I've already made a promise to my husband (who is rather concerned) that if there's no improvement within a couple of weeks then I will go see my GP.

Top tips, thanks guys.
  • marshallexi
    Options
    I am on a 1200 right now to lose the last 3 lbs. and haven't lost my appetite at all. Once I reach goal, then I will need 1500 to maintain it, according to MFP. Do you need 1800 daily to maintain? =)

I'm 5ft 6, I walk 4 miles a day, run once a week and weightlift. I'm surprised my body still works right now on 1200 cals.
  • spaceystace1989
    spaceystace1989 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use other sources than MFP to help sety my goals two sitesi use often for these are

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

and

http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc.

Thinking about your body needing nutrition to do all the amaing things it does for you might help you through as wellxx
    Hope things get better
  • kellehbeans
    Options
    Again, Weight Watchers brain fog, I would never thought of going back to full fat cheese and butter, but that does make sense.

(I'm allergic to cows milk, hence all the soya/almond/coconut milks and yoghurts).

I've already made a promise to my husband (who is rather concerned) that if there's no improvement within a couple of weeks then I will go see my GP.

Top tips, thanks guys.

I understand how you feel. I used to hate going for full fat/sugar items because of the calorie content - when I've realized that butter is probably a hell of a lot better than margarine - and is definitely tastier!

Seeing your GP will help, a lot. They will point you in the right direction. Just try not to stress and just gradually add full fat cheeses and such back into your diet. If there's a will, there's a way.
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    I'm going through the loss of appetite right now while trying to up my calories for an actual loss, so I'll be watching this thread a bit.
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    What???? I don't understand why WW is to be blamed for?
    I'm a lifetime member, lost 42 lbs but the best part is that I've been maintaining for almost 5 years!
    While losing those 9 lbs were you using you WP (49) and AP? like you are "encourage" to do?
    Because if you didn't to lose the weight faster and stop paying is the same as using less than 1200 cals on MFP :) so whatever "damage" you think you have? YOU did it to yourself ...
  • FrustratedYoYoer
    FrustratedYoYoer Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Like someone else said, I would increase it bit by bit, by 100 each week or you will probably gain. I have been doing this for the past month or so and I'm up to 1650 net, plus I eat back all my exercise cals pretty much every day. I used to comfortably net below 1200 (800-1000) most days and not feel hungry but since I've been forcing myself to eat more I have started losing weight again and my appetite now is huge. It was hard at first as I simply wasn't hungry to eat the amount of food required but now I'm eating anywhere between 2000-2500 cals most days now after I've done my exercise and feel great. In fact, a few days ago I think I even got up to 2700. Amazing! I should add that I am 5'8. If anything, I'm having to reign in my appeitite now but it does me good. Anyway, you will work it out. I would definitely increase it slowly at first tho x
  • marshallexi
    Options
    What???? I don't understand why WW is to be blamed for?
    I'm a lifetime member, lost 42 lbs but the best part is that I've been maintaining for almost 5 years!
    While losing those 9 lbs were you using you WP (49) and AP? like you are "encourage" to do?
    Because if you didn't to lose the weight faster and stop paying is the same as using less than 1200 cals on MFP :) so whatever "damage" you think you have? YOU did it to yourself ...

I lost 5st on 'old' WW 10 years ago, so I know it's not all to blame (I never put the weight back on either), the onus here is on me; I'M the one not eating enough and that's why I'm asking for advice.

And yes, on 'new' WW (as I call it) I ate all my weeklies and dailies.

Like I said, my problem now is my appetite, not my weight.
  • marshallexi
    Options
    Like someone else said, I would increase it bit by bit, by 100 each week or you will probably gain. I have been doing this for the past month or so and I'm up to 1650 net, plus I eat back all my exercise cals pretty much every day. I used to comfortably net below 1200 (800-1000) most days and not feel hungry but since I've been forcing myself to eat more I have started losing weight again and my appetite now is huge. It was hard at first as I simply wasn't hungry to eat the amount of food required but now I'm eating anywhere between 2000-2500 cals most days now after I've done my exercise and feel great. In fact, a few days ago I think I even got up to 2700. Amazing! I should add that I am 5'8. If anything, I'm having to reign in my appeitite now but it does me good. Anyway, you will work it out. I would definitely increase it slowly at first tho x

100 a week. Will do. Thank you.
  • Bighiker2
    Bighiker2 Posts: 100
    Options

I'm 5ft 6, I walk 4 miles a day, run once a week and weightlift. I'm surprised my body still works right now on 1200 cals.

5ft2 here, go to the gym twice weekly and hike every Sat. (no matter what!), averaging 10 miles each time (I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, so hiking here means LOTS of up and down). I am on 1200 because if I eat back my exercise calories, I either don't loose anything or even manage to gain a little! =(
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but I looked like you stated that you have to under-eat by following WW and that's absolutely not true, you choose what to eat nobody tells you fat-free or frozen is up to you, whatever fits in your daily allowance + WP + move more to eat more If you want to :) Is just that I love WW because it woks!
    Good luck in re-gaining your appetite...