So confused -TDEE, BMR and why I am I not losing!!?

Options

Replies

• lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Right, I've looked at your food diary and you eat a ridiculous amount of fat.
    Sort your macro's out...
    Hit your protein target of 100g/day..
    Don't eat so much fat, 0.35g/lb of LBM. Which probably works out to be less than 50g/day!

That is not great advice. The majority of her fat comes from peanut butter and avocado, both healthy and filling fats.
  • yksdoris
    yksdoris Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    You are at a normal, healthy weight for your height, so it's going to be a lot more difficult for you to lose than someone that is overweight. I'm not sure what your goal weight is, but at your size a 20% deficit is too high. Take 10% off your TDEE and aim for a 0.5lb a week weight loss, and give it some time. Patience is the most important thing.

Also, is it your body or your weight that you want to change? Personally I think you would be better off ditching the scales and try picking up some weights instead. You won't lose lbs, but you will lose inches.

Edited to add: a friend of mine on here uses this method:

Day 1: Eat at your TDEE
    Day 2: Eat at 20% below your TDEE

And alternate. This will give you your 10% deficit.

He said this broke him out of a year long plateau. Something to do with the body being under pressure when it's constantly at a deficit, so the days where you hit your TDEE help. But to be honest, I don't know too much about the science of it, but you could message him and ask. He's Pu_239.

This! you're 174 cm tall and currently weigh 75 kg, that puts you comfortably in the "normal" range of BMI which, yes, is not the be-all end-all measurement but it does give an indication of your general body composition. (fyi, for comparison, when I weighed 74 kg at my 154 cm, I was "officially" obese. my body fat percentage was a whopping 40%)

it just means that losing weight will be slower for you, and will take more effort. it's not impossible by any means but it will try your patience. How long have you been trying to lose weight, may I ask?
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Sort your macro's out...
    Don't eat so much fat, 0.35g/lb of LBM. Which probably works out to be less than 50g/day!

That is not great advice. The majority of her fat comes from peanut butter and avocado, both healthy and filling fats.

Bull****.

She's eating 100g/fat a day. Healthy fats don't give you a license to eat whatever you want.
    The macronutrient split is important.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Sort your macro's out...

Bull****.

She's eating 100g/fat a day. Healthy fats don't give you a license to eat whatever you want.

Eating fat does not make you fat. Eating at a calorie surplus makes you fat.
  • MAYONNAISESANDWICH
    Options
    Here is what you should do. Get some credible source of information as opposed to generalized advice. You can have panels ran, bodyfat measured and find out your specifics with a physician/dietician/nutritionist visit, or keep on tweaking your diet with suggestions on MFP. I highly advise against the latter. You can go round and round...and round and round on these forums, but all you have is people trying to help with what THEY have found to be successful. Science is what a good diet needs, and the science is always varied. Credible source, or keep on tweaking with or without results.
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    Options
    Sort your macro's out...

Bull****.

Agreed.... but
    [/quote]
    [/quote]
  • MAYONNAISESANDWICH
    Options
    See what I mean? See a professional and have YOUR physiology examined.
  • AnneU93
    AnneU93 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    You are at a normal, healthy weight for your height, so it's going to be a lot more difficult for you to lose than someone that is overweight. I'm not sure what your goal weight is, but at your size a 20% deficit is too high. Take 10% off your TDEE and aim for a 0.5lb a week weight loss, and give it some time. Patience is the most important thing.

Also, is it your body or your weight that you want to change? Personally I think you would be better off ditching the scales and try picking up some weights instead. You won't lose lbs, but you will lose inches.

He said this broke him out of a year long plateau. Something to do with the body being under pressure when it's constantly at a deficit, so the days where you hit your TDEE help. But to be honest, I don't know too much about the science of it, but you could message him and ask. He's Pu_239.

This! you're 174 cm tall and currently weigh 75 kg, that puts you comfortably in the "normal" range of BMI which, yes, is not the be-all end-all measurement but it does give an indication of your general body composition. (fyi, for comparison, when I weighed 74 kg at my 154 cm, I was "officially" obese. my body fat percentage was a whopping 40%)

it just means that losing weight will be slower for you, and will take more effort. it's not impossible by any means but it will try your patience. How long have you been trying to lose weight, may I ask?

I have been trying to lose for more than a year.

I went into deep depression when I was 15 years old and then I slowly started gaining -mind you that I was a competitive dancer for 13 years, but then when I started getting anti-depressants, it affects the nor-adrenaline and it just became too exhausting to do and when you aren't happy you just become to tired to work trough the physical exhaustion. They I was getting better and the put me on stronger medications and in a course of half a year I had put on 30 kg ( 66lbs), then August of 2012 at age 19 I was allowed to quit my anti-depressants and then I rather quickly dropped the 8 kg, stalling for small periods of times, but since December there has been no change at all and I mind you again, I have a very expensive scale that measures Body fat%, muscle mass, water balance and bone density and only thing that is moving is water going up and down shifting every day.
  • AnneU93
    Options
    Sort your macro's out...

Bull****.

I am totally with lauren3101 on this one, fat doesn't make you fat.

Actually you need some fat to not shock the body in a bad way. And the fat I am eating is healthy fat and the fat from peanut butter and avocado is actually know to help weight loss and also my body has no problems with dietary fat, but it is commonly known in our family that our genes don't respond well to carbs if we want to lose, but since I am young and the doctor said that there is nothing wrong with my metabolism then I am not eating low carb -I tried once for a week, got really crancky, very tired and massive headeaches, but I try to eat a good amount below what MFP says I should eat of carbs. So I eat a little more good healthy fats that are known to help weight loss since I am young and my body doesn't mind fat meanwhile I try to about 50-100 grams below the daily allowance of carbs as prescribed by MFP since most of the women on both sidess of my family seems to not do so well with carbs.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Ok, let's keep it simple... There are various methods for calculating your daily burn, but don't get complicated, just use the MFP calculator it's more than sufficient...

Go to goals, put in your info, and select "Sedentary". This is what you likely burn just by living and working. Then select how much you want to loose. It will set your net calorie goal.

From there on out, add any explicit exercise you do (if you walk around the mall shopping... I wouldn't count it), and this way you can earn a few more daily calories when you do exercise.

Problem solved, and you will see results. If you don't see much progress, review whether or not you have been hitting your cal goals consistently, and think about lowering your cal goal or exercising more.

It can be frustrating if what you're doing isn't getting you results, but it is 100% possible so just stay the course. Just make adjustments until it works for you.

If you want a great, uncontroversial resource for weightloss, check out About.com. They don't have anything to sell.
  • AnneU93
    Options
    Sort your macro's out...

Bull****.

Agreed.... but
    [/quote]
    [/quote]

If you think about it since you are a male it very likely that you would not react as well to be overeating on fat.

Since the beginning of days it has been important for men to be able to absorb fast energy well for when they we hunting and sprinting, which you get from the use of glycogen and women had to spend a stable amount of energy when carrying a child therefore being better at absorbing energy from fat.

The women on both sides of my family has it very difficult with carbs, their bodies just don't like them, but non of them has any reaction to excessive fat consumption -actually when I think about, all the women in my family has very wide hip bones -> good for having children.

Therefore I don't really think about my fat consumpstions, but I tend to eat 50-100grams below the MFP carb allowance.

Also I am neither trying to cut, bulk or attain muscle, I am one of those that actually like the more skinny-fat look -> no clearly visible muscles, but skinny and is it no less than 2 years ago that I was exactly that and I looked perfectly healthy -well I was physically :)
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    So I have read about every single post that is ever possible to find to figure out why I am not losing -including doing the in place of a road map a million times and also the metabolic reset.

I am 20 years old, female. 75 kg, 174 cm (166lbs 5'9") I am danish so if you look at my diary you will see plenty of danish words, but I ensure you that there are not a lot of processed foods in it (I like to cook myself) and that there are plenty of vegetables.

I have already gone to the doctor and the doctor said that nothing was wrong with my metabolism.

I only ever drink water -I eliminated everything else as being something you could possibly drink back in August of 2012.

I use my scale religiously to track even the littlest food that go into my mouth.

Now the thing is -I have done what I am supposed to do -> calculated my BMR wit fat2fit: as prescribed by in place of a road map 3.0

Entered information: 20 year old female, 68.5 inches tall, weighing 166 pounds, BMI of 24.9 (Normal weight).

From the information that you entered, you'd like to weigh 166 lbs.

Harris-Benedict Formula
    There are a few different methods to calculating yourbasal metabolic rate (BMR). One of the most popular, developed in the early 1900's is called the Harris-Benedict formula. Based on this formula, your current BMR is 1605 calories.

Katch-McArdle Forumla
    The numbers above are fairly accurate, however they don't take into account your lean body mass. A more accurate formula that does take your lean body mass into account is the Katch-McArdle formula. Since many of us have scales that will tell us our current body fat, this formula may yield more accurate results. Based on the information you provided, body fat percentage of 28.8%, you have a lean body mass of 118 lbs., and your BMR is 1529 calories.

Which makes my BMR between 1500-1600 calories.

Now how much should I eat:

Activity Level Daily Calories
    Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 1926
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 2207
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2488
    Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 2769
    Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 3050

I am a student and in Denmark that means sitting down in the same classroom, not moving all day and then when I come home I sit down at the computer /because I am addicted to MFP as others are to Facebook). I do exercise, but I use the Polar ft40 HRM to calculate my exercise calories and I eat those back. Therefore I would make med sedentary.

Now that gives me 1926 calories to maintain on days that I don't exercise. And to lose 1lb a week I need a deficit of 500 calories -> 1926 - 500 = 1426 -but wait this is way less than my BMR and everybody is saying that you can't eat less than your BMR, but then the math just doesn't add up.

Changing my activity level to lightly active won't make a difference cause that just means that my exercise has already been added and I would still have to net my BMR and therefore still only making my deficit 200-300 calories.

All in all the math isn't working. I haven't lost any weight (except water fluctuations) in 3 months.

Would someone just please tell me what is up and down and what to do?

Much Appreciated
    Anne

P.S. has also been posted under general weight loss help, but most of the people who is having success with weight loss don't roam in that forum.

Honesty you look great! You are in a healthy weight range and those last few pounds are killer to lose!! What types of workout are you doing? You probably need to focus more on body composition at this point which means - less cardio and more heavy lifting. Weights that challenge you, if you can do 12 reps it's too light. If you haven't done so already, check out the 'new rules of lifting for women'. Good program, easy to follow.

I know you've done your math over and over again - at this point just step back. It doesn't need to be so overwhelming and complicated. Pick a number - say 1500 calories - stay consistent with, eat back most of your exercise calories, and hit those weights hard.
  • AnneU93
    Options

I find your added element very much doable and logical and I have bookmark this as a thing that I will try after I have tried just one other thing -because this will very likely make me gain at first and the summer is too close so it is better to just be plateauing than gaining until June then I will try this.

I actually posted this topic in general weight los help also and PU_239 has posted there, but he didn't mention trying this, so thank you! :flowerforyou:
  • Textmessage
    Textmessage Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I skimmed through all the posts so far and haven't seen any comment on this yet:

You mention using IPOARM and TDEE-20% and also consuming back exercise cals. Anybody feel free to correct me, but aren't you supposed to NOT eat exercise cals following this method as they're already calculated into your TDEE? Maybe this is the issue you're experiencing.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I skimmed through all the posts so far and haven't seen any comment on this yet:

You mention using IPOARM and TDEE-20% and also consuming back exercise cals. Anybody feel free to correct me, but aren't you supposed to NOT eat exercise cals following this method as they're already calculated into your TDEE? Maybe this is the issue you're experiencing.

Yep...you're correct, you're not supposed to eat back the exercise calories. I just noticed this in her diary too. Some days netting almost 2000 calories. Probably not a big enough calorie deficit.

And in reference to the large amount of fat consumed everyday - true, fat does not make you fat, but there comes a point when a macro is just too much over the daily recommendation it's overall not healthy. Plus that fat consumption along with the excess calories maybe the reason for stalled progress.
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    Options

If you think about it since you are a male it very likely that you would not react as well to be overeating on fat.

Since the beginning of days it has been important for men to be able to absorb fast energy well for when they we hunting and sprinting, which you get from the use of glycogen and women had to spend a stable amount of energy when carrying a child therefore being better at absorbing energy from fat.

You asked the question.... I'm taking your response to be that you don't like my answer. :grumble:
    Sure, i'm not a dietitian... but i think you should have a serious look at your macro's even if you have a desire to weigh less and still be doughy.

Purely eating walnuts, peanut butter and chocolate caramels is not a good diet.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/AnneU93?date=2013-04-03

I'd also recommend reading this article.
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/you-are-not-different.html
  • TakinSexyBack
    TakinSexyBack Posts: 300 Member
    Options

Yep, thats how I understand it!! (Pu verified it for me yesterday as a matter of fact)!
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I am not a fan of the road map stuff, I use Weight Watchers and eat between 1200 and 1400 calories and for those skeptics about me losing muscle, I walk 4 to 5 miles 5 times a week and I sometimes eat back my exercise calories but not always and I lose 1 to2 pounds a week. Since August I have gained 10 pounds of lean muscle. Therefore it doesn't work for everyone. I have confirmed what I am losing and eating if it is right with facts and doctor based diets and nutritionest and for my metabolism and weight and goal I am right there..Roadmap had me at over 2600 calories a day, another site had me at 1750 as 20% below tdee..I think honestly you need to exercise more and throw the scale out the window and go by body comp. I weigh 221, 5"4.75in and 156 pounds of lean body mass according to fat2fitradio.com with 28.5% body fat
  • skinnyeascolady
    skinnyeascolady Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    JUst a thought but have you had your thyroid checked. Your TSH , T4 and T3. Also your sugars. I went months not loosing an once I did everything right and I do mean everything. If I had a nibble and wrote it down. I worked out no less than 30-60 minutes a day and nothing. finally someone suggested this to me. I went to my doctor got the test done and I was found to be Low thyroid.

I then got my medication straightened out and I started to lose but it came off very slowly. Once I cut down on some of my carbs not all or a drastic amount just some. I began to lose the 1-2 pounds a week.

Not saying this is your problem but it could be. Google low thyroid or insulin resistance and see if you can relate.
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I am one of those that actually like the more skinny-fat look

Skinny-fat is much harder to maintain than fit. You must be absolutely dead-on with your eating/calories always and forever, or else "skinny fat" will become "fat". Whereas, with "fit", the metabolism is much more forgiving because muscles consume energy, not store it. And muscles are not always bulging and visible. You can be soft and feminine looking, with significant muscle composition for creating that higher, more forgiving metabolism.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!