How do I stop giving in?!

Options
GAH I'm so annoyed at myself. Went to london Mon-Weds, lots of walking around and sight seeing and could have ate in a million and one places that sell healthy food. BUT NOOOOO. I go to TGIs - TWICE! Steak one day, burger the next. WTF is wrong with me!!! I feel like crap, put 5lbs on and now there's this block of cheese in the fridge SCREAMING at me to eat it. Just made myself soup with nice filling lentils. NOPE stomach wants cheese. Still.

I HATE IT!!!

How do you stop yourself from doing this?!

Replies

• mixedlollies
    mixedlollies Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Take a deep breath, have a cup of tea, remind yourself of your goals and of that unbeatable feeling of seeing results, talk to a supportive friend, do something that will distract you, snack on fruit and veg to fill you up.

It's hard, but you'll feel so much better if you stay on track.
  • JTS_go
    JTS_go Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    There could be something about your current eating that is not triggering your body's satiety signal (the thing that says "I'm full"). That could be sugar (including all the foods that have sugar added even when you don't suspect), artificial sweeteners, not enough fat, not enough fiber, thirst -- not enough water.
  • BrotherBill913
    BrotherBill913 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    First off you could remove the items in your home that you know are'nt good for you. Then it sounds like you might want to think about getting on a structured eating plan rather than free flowing it. Good Luck.
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    First off you could remove the items in your home that you know are'nt good for you. Then it sounds like you might want to think about getting on a structured eating plan rather than free flowing it. Good Luck.

^^This. And I find that having a stern talk with myself reminding me to act like a grown up tends to help.
  • shell4short76
    shell4short76 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Just say "no".
    I was holding a pint of Ben and Jerry's the other day and told myself "no" because I knew if I bought it, I'd eat the whole pint in one sitting.
    Or just treat yourself once in a while. If it's a whole plate, just serve yourself a little bit. If you're eating out, order a takeout box, pack up some of the food and leave the rest on your plate to eat. That way you won't be tempted to eat it all. We were told as kids that we had to clean our plate. We don't have to. Especially if the serving are twice what they should be.
  • HolyPeas
    HolyPeas Posts: 71
    Options
    I don't think there is any special magical words anyone can say to you to make you stop with the destructive eating. When you are truly finished living the way you live, you will stop. Muscle though it, in other words.
  • jdhoward_101
    jdhoward_101 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I am in EXACTLY the same boat; i did really well for a couple of weeks, then i had two blow-outs which weren't really that big i thought, but i put 3 of the four pounds i lost back on and feel like giving up. So this morning i wrote a list of all the reasons i wanted to lose weight; some of them were serious, such as being healthier, some of them were petty and a little childish such as wanting to look better than my boyfriends ex, but whatever you need to give you that motivation. Plus, i'm trying to change things up a bit, eat different things instead of sticking to the same old 'safe calorie' options, and instead of just going to the gym today i went swimming which i haven't done in years! That's all i've got so far, and for today at least i've been very sensible. But if i find that magic formula i'll let you know!
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with burgers, steak, or cheese in my book (OK, I'm lying a bit because I hate beef)... IMO you're being too restrictive. It's normal to gain water weight after eating out .... It's not fat gain, just water weight.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    First, you're not up 5 pounds because you ate a steak and a burger - there's nothing wrong with either of those choices. You're likely up 5 pounds because those foods were LOADED with sodium because they were served in a restaurant. Drink loads of water and have some nice light meals the next few days and you'll likely be back down on the scale by next week.

Second, if you really want to avoid these things, you have to start having some really deep conversations with yourself. Why do you want to make these changes? Why are they important? How can you change your behavior and make it stick?

Next time you go out to eat, either make a firm decision to pick a "healthy" place or make a firm decision to make a healthier choice wherever you go.

I did this a couple years ago when I went on vacation. My companions were family members that are far less than healthy by anyone's terms but I was determined to stay on my diet and get plenty of exercise. I had to make some compromises of course but I still made really good eating choices and got plenty of activity in and lost 2 pounds that week! It is possible, you just can't let temptations or excuses get in the way.
  • shaleyn
    shaleyn Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I eat steak. And burgers. And consistently lose weight.
  • MadisonLeo
    Options
    What works for me is being focused on my goal. Ask yourself, "why do I want to get healthy and fit?" Whatever the answer is, THAT is now your mantra. For me, I started this almost 3 months ago as I knew I had a trip to the beach coming up. So everytime I craved something I knew was bad for me, I started to think about how gross I would look on the beach if I didn't stick to my plan. Worked like a charm. You have to constantly remind yourself that eating unhealthy or large amounts of food is hurting your goals and make the decision to not hurt yourself.

It is also a work in progress but its all about focus and cutting yourself off. I agree with the others as well, get rid of the food in your house that is not good for you and use MFP as a guide. If you DO want to eat a little more, know that you need to workout a bit more on that day to remain under your calorie goal.

MORE FOOD = MORE TIME WORKING OUT

Pick your poison and I am rooting for you!
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with burgers, steak, or cheese in my book (OK, I'm lying a bit because I hate beef)... IMO you're being too restrictive. It's normal to gain water weight after eating out .... It's not fat gain, just water weight.

^^^This

Cheese is food, we are supposed to eat food. Try not to over think things, you will think yourself into one of those handy eating disorders.

As Forrest Gump says : When I got tired, I slept. When I got hungry, I ate. When I had to go...you know...I went.

Its pretty simple really.
  • xXxHBICxXx
    xXxHBICxXx Posts: 370 Member
    Options

^^^ I agree with them and will be doing just that when I go grocery shopping next week. I have zero willpower when it comes to some foods so I am done buying them! I also just bought a really cute pair of jeans I want to wear on my birthday and they* are a size to small, I will NOT waste money, I will wear those jeans! So that is making this easier for me lol
  • AboutT1ME
    AboutT1ME Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    stomach wants cheese. Still.

I HATE IT!!!

Moderation, i still give in to some stuff, feeding a craving every once in a while is not a bad thing. That food from TGI will pass through your system in a couple of days and you'll be ok. Do what i do, set up a cheat or reward day with something in moderation eat some cheese, have a home made hamburger, and if it makes you feel better you could have had much worse things from that place, MUCH worse.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    You are not ready to make changes in your behavior yet. When you are, you will not be having this conversation with yourself.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    GAH I'm so annoyed at myself. Went to london Mon-Weds, lots of walking around and sight seeing and could have ate in a million and one places that sell healthy food. BUT NOOOOO. I go to TGIs - TWICE! Steak one day, burger the next. WTF is wrong with me!!! I feel like crap, put 5lbs on and now there's this block of cheese in the fridge SCREAMING at me to eat it. Just made myself soup with nice filling lentils. NOPE stomach wants cheese. Still.

I HATE IT!!!

You're facing the toughest thing about weight loss IMO, coming to terms with you own weak points/nature.

It could be a number of ways to handle this, but keep in mind the solution for you isn't the solution for all and vice versa.

Personally, I give myself cheat days. They satisfy me and I move on. Others can't do that because they slip into cheat weekends to cheat weeks to cheat months.

Some people do IIFYM, this works for them since they don't mind eating 1/97th of an cookie or 1/16th of a slice of pizza. I couldn't be bothered.

You're going to have to come up with your own strategy which may be altogether different, but if it works then it works.
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Neither of those alone will ruin a day or make the day "bad"
    There's not much to go by in your dairy, so it's hard to say much.
    Something that might help is 1. Why do you think you shouldn't have it?
    2. What makes you want it?
    3. Why do you feel guilty?

It helps to log everything, good or bad so that you can look over it and try to see what may be triggering. Or if it was a "holiday" then it helps to just enjoy what you had and try to keep the rest of the day reasonable and (again) enjoy it.

last note- restaurants= sodium= water weight don't freak out, get back to the plan. :)
  • mittens71671
    Options
    Yesterday we had a massive pot luck at work and it was my 3rd day on my new eating plan. I had to pray really hard ahead of time for God to help me through the day. He did and actually it wasn't that hard. I took the long way to the restroom so I didn't go by the food. When I had to go to that side of the office, I looked at the floor until I passed it. It seems silly to those on the outside, but your mind can be such a weapon against you. I'm letting God do the mind work for me this time around.
  • xampx
    xampx Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    You can still log TGI Fridays. It might even tell you how much salt they put in everything.

You haven't logged since Sunday? Without validation, you can pretty much eat what you want, but you probably won't lose much weight...