Eating at maintanence during/before menstruation?

Options
okay, a private topic, I know, but i need to know if any other women do this. It's currently the week before, and my normal calorie budget just isn't cutting it. I am irritable, moody, and have hunger pains and headaches. I went up to maintanence yesterday and kept my normal workout routine, and felt incredibly better, and feel better today.
BTW, my normal calorie budget is 1450 to lose 1.5 per week, Maintanence is 2200. I'm trying for 2200 (surprisingly hard to do after eating so low for so long) and find that I feel much better.
Does anyone do this or notice that your calorie needs fluctuate with your cycle? Do you indulge your body and go to maintance or do you buckle down and ride it out on full scale diet mode? I'm starting to think going to maintanence might help you not only to feel better, but to give a small break in dieting (allowing you to return with a vengeance later) and maybe even serve as a tiny metabolism reset. Am I being too optimistic? Will it sabotage my efforts?

Replies

• Adah_m
    Adah_m Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    :smile: yep, bumping my own post
  • onsugarhill
    onsugarhill Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I do tend to eat more the week before as well - I'm just hungry all the time. My understanding is that your body does burn extra calories during ovulation and menstruation, though I have no idea how many. I just make an effort to eat under or at my maintenance level and keep an eye on my macros.

My weight loss is definitely affected. I'm supposed to be losing about .5 lbs./week, but I tend to not lose much (if anything) the week before and during menstruation, then I lose 1.5-2 pounds per week in the next two weeks. I've only been tracking since January, but the pattern has been pretty consistent both when I was sticking to my target and now when I let myself eat at maintenance for that week.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    i don't necessarily eat up to maintenance, but i do allow a few hundred more calories a day for 2-3 days. It saves my sanity.
  • mssierra2u
    mssierra2u Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I experience the same thing. I tend to be irregular, but that's one of the ways I know the month is going to be eventful. I eat like crazy. I try to make sure I stock up on foods that address some of my cravings (like freezing low sugar/fat yogurt, instead of going for what I really want: Haagen Dazs), and drink lots of water. But I know that those days also mean that my body is getting more healthy and that the work I'm doing all month long is the responsible.

Don't get discouraged if you don't loose for those weeks. Like someone else mentioned, you will probably see it come off right after the 'season' is over.
  • Adah_m
    Options
    i don't necessarily eat up to maintenance, but i do allow a few hundred more calories a day for 2-3 days. It saves my sanity.

yeah maybe if only for the sanity it's worth it :) I can't imagine being grouchy and crabby, and munching on rice cakes and carrots. This girl needs something hearty during that time. A hot bowl of french onion soup.... yum....

The week after, btw, I usually lose a good 5 lbs in water weight because no matter how much water I drink during, I bloat. So I'm used to gaining weight and losing it immediately after, it never phases me.
  • cacklingcat
    cacklingcat Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Ya ill probably try this next time. This last week was bad and full of crazy donut consumption :grumble: But min is mainly a problem the week ove no real problem the week before. But i think this is a smart way to handel this problem.
  • Mini_Medic
    Mini_Medic Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    My body naturally does the same thing. I start eating a lot more and genuine hunger pains tell me I truly need to, it's not just a craving. From the medical perspective it is a real biological event. When your body preps to make a baby your hormones tell your overies to release an egg and your uterine lining to thicken it also tells your body to stock up on food so that the extra nutrients are already there to help with fetal development at the cellular level. When no baby is ahem "initiated" then your body gets rid of the extra bloat/water retention and you lose a few lbs.

Even though it happens every month it still catches me by surprise and I wonder why I start getting very hangry and gain a few lbs. Then I realize what's up and enjoy my diet break for 3-5 days and get right back on it!
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    You could always fix the root of the problem. There's no medical need for you to menstruate. They make pills to fix that or you can get novasure.
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    You could always fix the root of the problem. There's no medical need for you to menstruate. They make pills to fix that or you can get novasure.

Why would you want to do something that interferes with a perfectly normal biological function for no particular reason?

The solution to feeling hungry prior to a period is surely to eat a little more during that time and eat a little less afterwards.
  • ladyj_sa
    ladyj_sa Posts: 28
    Options
    I suppose I'm one of the lucky ones who don't experience any cravings but get terribly despondent when I see my weight increase by a good 2 or 3 pounds overnight and stays that way for a week... it drops just as quickly after but it makes me so upset!
  • nytius
    nytius Posts: 173 Member
    Options

^This^ Absolutely worth it for my sanity. I don't overindulge but I definitely allow for some faves during that time. In fact, I've found that a couple 100 extra calories saves me from a "real" binge later on. Like I said, totally worth it.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options

Why would you want to do something that interferes with a perfectly normal biological function for no particular reason?

The solution to feeling hungry prior to a period is surely to eat a little more during that time and eat a little less afterwards.

It's a normal biological function that provides no benefit and is something most women complain about. I'm not forcing anyone to stop menstruating but I certainly wouldn't want to deal with all that. If it makes you bloated/hungry/moody etc. I don't see why anyone would choose to go through that.
  • Adah_m
    Options
    True that we might not HAVE to, actually kudos for having the guts to say "I don't have to suffer through this, so I won't." That's pretty BA actually.

As for me, I'm kind of paranoid with interfering right now because I want to have children soon, just not quite yet. Altering hormones/my natural cycle can interfere with fertility. I'll wait till after children, but a very valid point, and interesting to consider.

Though some women may not feel the same way due to personal or religious preferences, so in those scenerios, I would say maybe if we put a limit at maintenence, it will keep us from going nuts or overboard right?
  • omima07
    omima07 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I definitely do. Now, I am going to say I am very guilty of the pizza, cookies, and tons of chips "monthly hunger" I guess the trick is to add extra calories that would benefit us during our time. I'm sure you already are, I suppose I am just typing it for my sake :) But I definitely believe in listening to your body...if your body says "More food" then you probably need more.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I do eat a little more during PMS, sometimes for the whole week. I generally listen to my body during those times.
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    And here I've been fighting those cravings like a sucker! I never succeed though, I do usually eat more during that time :tongue: