Shopping time! What items have helped the most?

Options
This week I bought a food scale, 5lb weights and proper measuring cups (can't believe I didn't have any!)

What has been essential on your weight loss and fitness journey so far?

Replies

• ebr250
    ebr250 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Extra food storage containers for making more meals and snacks. I work long days so I prep a bunch on the weekend and freeze it.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Definitely the food scale. Oh and fitness dvds for when I just can't make it to the gym and my HRM
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    A food scale without a doubt is a must.
  • felicia8604
    felicia8604 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    food scale and measuring cups! Its all about portion control for me!! Just eyeballing it doesnt work.
  • tj1376
    tj1376 Posts: 1,402 Member
    Options
    Small storage bowls and freezer bags!!!! I like to stick the measuring cups into some of my containers so they are always there, so extra measuring cups are essential to me. Now if only they would make a dishwasher that washed the little containers instead of throwing them around like rag dolls, I would be awesome.

I did buy a food scale for Christmas, but I don't use it a ton, maybe once a week or so. That still makes it worth it to me
  • imhungry2012
    imhungry2012 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    A good tuperwares set with a variety of sizes! I bring breakfast, lunch and snacks to work everyday and this makes it so much easier.

Food scale is # 1 ... careful with measureing cups, I still weigh certan things (higher calorie items) in the measureing cups b/c it can vary if don't and many food labels have both. ex. 1/4 cup (1 oz.) on the package.

veggie steamer - just the cheap metal one that goes in the bottom of a pot to steam fresh veggies (though I do a lot of frozen these days)
  • woodsy0912
    woodsy0912 Posts: 323
    Options
    For food: Scale is a MUST!, also love my veggie steamer.

For fitness: Polar FT4 HRM, good running shoes, fitbit (not necessary, but very fun!), iphone armband (gotta ave my tunes!)

Other: digital body weight scale (nothing fancy), body tape measure.
  • amandatiffany90
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • Energizer06
    Energizer06 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Food scale, HRM with chest strap, and making time to exercise.
  • dollylohaze
    Options
    Yup, s'all about the food scale. And peanut butter! Mmmm...
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    My food scale is SO OLD, and I really question its accuracy sometimes, so a digital food scale is on my wishlist. Also, a bodyfat scale (I know they aren't necessarily the best, but hopefully I will at least be able to see a downward trend). Also on my list is a blood pressure device, push up and chin up bars, P90X, and a bicycle. Most of these things are more like rewards, and for motivation, tracking, and encouraging a more active lifestyle. For losing weight alone, the food scale is #1.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Lots of good things already listed that I use.

Also important is a good cooler to take my lunch to work & to pack meals if I am going to be away from home at mealtime. Going too long without eating spells disaster. Also steel bottles for my water & coffee.

I'd have a FitBit One if it was in my budget right now but, because it isn't, I added an activity tracker app to my iPhone. I have MotionX Sleep & it tracks my steps as well as my sleep (the same sleep tracker Jawbone UP uses). I never would have believed the difference this makes. I move more throughout the day because of it. It motivates me to improve my cardio workouts & that means I'm burning more calories. It gives calories burned including BMR & the numbers are not too different from those I get on MFP. I know that none of these numbers are 100% accurate but seeing them increase is motivating me to work harder all the time & that is wonderful. An app like this is also great if you are not quite sure you would consistently use a FitBit or other separate activity tracker. It can help you decide if it would be a good purchase.
  • gemmaleigh1989
    gemmaleigh1989 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    So many!

-food scale
    -measuring cups
    -polar heart rate monitor
    -good trainers
    -weight bench, racks and complete weights set up (barbell included)
    -gym membership
    -work out clothes
    -tupperware
    -MFP app!
    -tape measure for tracking progress
    -good BF % scales

And that's just off the top of my head!
  • pennydreadful270
    pennydreadful270 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    My food scale struggles to weigh anything under 5g, kind of annoying. Usually I' trying to find out what a level teaspoon of something is.

I bought some big resealable packets of nuts and dried fruit from lidl- they actually seal back properly and keep really well! They're the blue-packaged ones near all the crisps and stuff.
  • WVprankster
    WVprankster Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    A food scale (this was a real eye opener)
    blended fabric underwear (%100 cotton %100 sucks)
  • paperhawk
    paperhawk Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Most helpful: The stuff I left at the store....
  • amandatiffany90
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone! :)
  • GeekyGirlLyn
    GeekyGirlLyn Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    bump
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I love my glass Corning casserole with lid! My veggies come out of the microwave perfectly steamed with just a couple of tablespoons of water! Love it! Use it everyday for yummy fresh steamed veggies.
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    My Google Nexus 7" tablet for logging and keeping up with MFP
    Hamilton Beach Personal Blender for my daily smoothies
    Taylor Biggest Loser Electric food scale
    Stainless steel 18 oz Thermos hydration water bottle
    Books: 'The Power of Now' and 'Women, Food and God'
    Thorlo brand running socks
    Asics Gel Strike 3 sneakers
    Body Fortress Cookies & Cream Whey Protein Powder
    Leslie Sansome Walk Away the Pounds DVDs