Anyone out here training for a Tough Mudder in 2013?

Options
I am doing one September 28th and let me tell you, it's really making me push my *kitten*!

If you are and would like to put together a little support/cheering squad group to share idea and challenges, please let me know and I'll get it going.

Cheers!

Replies

• bradbaumgarten
    Options
    My buddy did one of these and I thought it sounded awesome!! I want too, but I don't know if I can be ready in time (have a ways to go to be in that good of shape). My goal is to do at least 1 or 2 5k races this summer. If I can work hard enough I would LOVE to do a tough mudder in the fall.

Anyways, I think it's an awesome goal!! I want to do it, and I think you're totally kick a** for going after it! Good luck! I'm in for a support group for this because something I'd love to do in the future!
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I am doing another one in October. Good luck!!
  • LilMissAmers
    LilMissAmers Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I just signed up for one in November! I really have to ramp up my training now!
  • tigerlion2013
    tigerlion2013 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the Tri-State on October 13--my first.

This Sunday, I'm running a 15-K, also my first. The 15-K is part of the run-up to doing the Tough Mudder later in the year. I'll probably do another 15-K or half in the summer.

As the previous poster said, trying out another obstacle course is a good way to prep. I'm not sure though that Spartan is that much easier than a Tough Mudder. There is also Hero Rush and Warrior Dash.

If you're into home-based fitness training programs, they can provide some structure for training. I have done Beach Body's P90X, P90X+, Insanity, and Asylum. There are others out there besides Beach Body like RushFit. Jillian Michaels has tons of stuff out now too.
  • cjlorigan
    cjlorigan Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    My hubby and I signed up for one in Aug '13. I'm petrified. I've done a few 5k (will be doing one 4/6) and can finish under 40. But Tough Mudder may kill me.
  • seanf23
    seanf23 Posts: 5
    Options
    I'm running one on 4th May.. 4 weeks away (in the UK) ... Seems like a fun day out, up until the electrocution, whoever thought of that is not a nice person :-)

I train 4-5 times a week, which includes Kickboxing (very intense cardio) personal training session (High intensity strength training) and my own gym session, which is a bit of a mixture.

With all that, and hoping the weather warms up a bit, it should be a good one :-)
  • Kitzey
    Kitzey Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    :laugh: This weekend is my first Tough Mudder ... I have butterflies and am so excited about it!! We have been training since November and are as ready as we think we will be. :drinker: WHOORAH!

For our training:
    We started out with the TM bootcamp in November and moved on to the following (still incorporate bootcamp style days once in a while)
    We run and completed a 15k race in January and continue to run but rarely 10k + anymore
    We do a hill run/climb 1-2 days a week minimum (we have a great hill that has 200+ stairs then you run up about 80 more and the top of the hill is another 99; or we take the road up instead of the stairs)
    TRX - 1x/wk
    Weights/body weight exercises - 2-3x/week (we focus on upper body)
    Zumba in the circuit followed by a Zumba class once a week <<< my fun workout that hardly can be called a workout it's so much fun
    Crossfit - I just joined but my friend has been going for a couple months

Sundays we run with obstacles (body weight training mainly - pull ups, push ups, tri dips) - we have recently done a 16 & 8k to prep and feel ready to go!!
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine just asked me about doing one in November here in Florida this year. I told him i dont want to think about it so he said if he thought about it FOR ME...and signed me up, would i join his team? uh, yes, only if he pushes me in the mud first to get me going! haha....

good luck!
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I signed up for Tough Mudder in July in Buffalo. I have been running more than I usually do and focusing on strength training. I can't wait! I love a challenge
  • Angimom
    Angimom Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    I have been thinking about doing one of these, but I might start with a 5k one first. Maybe a warrior dash? But I would be up to have a group, do the training and support one another.
  • Twisted_Wrister
    Twisted_Wrister Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I signed up for Tough Mudder in July in Buffalo. I have been running more than I usually do and focusing on strength training. I can't wait! I love a challenge

I'm doing this one too! upping my cardio and started strength training about 3 weeks ago. I should be ready.....
  • Laura42012
    Laura42012 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I was doing one in June but I'm injured presently. I will be doing one in 2014 though.
  • Laura42012
    Laura42012 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    and TM'ers, feel free to add me :)
  • kels1152
    kels1152 Posts: 74
    Options
    Doing my 2nd TM in June in Michigan :) It was AWESOME last year in Ohio!!!!!!
    Anybody doing it in Michigan as well?
  • Virgo09
    Virgo09 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Doing TM in November in San Diego. I'll start training after my half marathon and ROC race in May.
  • ROCKERFOREVER81
    Options
    I am doing it too November- Charlotte NC
  • helyla
    helyla Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    My hubby and I signed up for one in Aug '13. I'm petrified. I've done a few 5k (will be doing one 4/6) and can finish under 40. But Tough Mudder may kill me.

I'm doing one on August 10th in New Hampshire @ Mount Snow... where is yours?
  • newtro0925
    newtro0925 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Doing my first Tough Mudder in August 2013. Started training this week. Should be fun
  • newtro0925
    newtro0925 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
  • helyla
    helyla Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Doing my first Tough Mudder in August 2013. Started training this week. Should be fun

Same here! The August one is my first as well. Nervous, but pumped for the challenge!