Exercises for defining belly and back!

Options
I've lost 13 pounds and now I'm close to my goal weight . I'm satisfied with my body. Well with everything except my belly and muffin tops.

I'm apple shape.

I don't want to lose more weight because I will be too small in other areas of my body and I don't want that. I've lost my weight through calorie counting and walking. Can I define this belly with muscle exercises and if yes what should I do. I don't have any money so I can do only free exercises at home.

Thank you!

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    You need to lift. I'd start with full body stuff, but do whatever you want as long as it's heavy. This will help you retain muscle while you lose the remaining body fat.
  • ReaGaladriel
    ReaGaladriel Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    You need to lift. I'd start with full body stuff, but do whatever you want as long as it's heavy. This will help you retain muscle while you lose the remaining body fat.

I don't know how I can lift If I can't go to the gym and I don't have the money to buy weights.:( Any suggestions?

I have 2 kg weights but I suppose that is too light.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

I don't know how I can lift If I can't go to the gym and I don't have the money to buy weights.:( Any suggestions?

I have 2 kg weights but I suppose that is too light.

Body weight exercises... google it, there's some good stuff out there.
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    You can do planks, working up your time as you get stronger, grab a broomstick and you can do twists, you can lay on floor and put your legs over a coffee table and do crunches, you could stit on the floor and lift your legs up so your in like a V postion and grab a basketball and do twists from side to side having the ball hit the side of each time on the floor..All sorts of fun stuff, if you don't already go get an Oxygen & Muscle Fiteness Hers magazine they can give you other ideas..goodluck
  • Griffin220x
    Griffin220x Posts: 399
    Options
    If you want a definied back and belly you'll have to lose body fat. There is no magical exercise for this, its all about creating a deficit to lose fat or recomping if you're at a desired weight and wanna put on some new muscle.

Although in the meantime I would use Bent over barbell rows, Pulldowns, and t bar rows for back. As for abs weight crunches/planks/side planks/leg lifts are my favorite. Also Deadlifts and Squats have a huge affect at least for me on my abs and overall core strength.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    You're not going to get a huge amount of definition without losing a bit more fat. Building muscle will help but you've probably got reasonable muscle under there, especially your abs. It needs to be revealed by losing the fat. Having said, lifting is definitely still a good way to go and will help you maintain muscle if you decide to lose a bit more, or you might have some success wilt recompostition.

I do understand your dilemma because I'm apple shaped too and want to lose a bit more on my trunk without the rest of me shrinking any more. Lifting should help a bit, but sometimes you've just got to compromise too. That's why celebs go on about having to choose between their face and their hips, or their face and their bum. Unless you're very lucky, you might have to accept that some bits will be too thin to get the other bits where you want them.
  • ReaGaladriel
    ReaGaladriel Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your answers,,I will Google all your suggestions and start to do something ;)

@JesterMFP I think I will lose about 3 more pounds and then I will stop and concentrate on toning up. I would prefer to have a bit of fat on my belly that to be too skinny all around with perfect belly ;)

So if I want to start with crunches, planks, side planks and squats. How many should I try to do in the beginning? I don't want to push too hard because I had back injury last year.