Frustrated at the gym and waiting.

Options

Replies

• EmmaReed84
    EmmaReed84 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. Happens to me all the time. I was once waiting for a machine while a girl and a guy had a 20 minute flirting session while she sat on the machine doing nothing. When the flirting session was over she began her reps. Sooo annoying. I too rely on the common curtisy of others bc I am non-confrontational for the most part (except during certain times of the month, haha.) I think it is probably more in my head but I often feel that many men think that we females are invading their territory and we are lucky they let us play in their sand box at all, especially when it comes to the free weight lifting areas. I try to go during non-busy hours on days that I am lifting for that reason. I admire those of you that have the guts to speak up!

Your comment about being non-confrontational except for at THAT time, sounds like me. Don't get me wrong I can speak my mind and be straight to the point when I really need to be, but I try to avoid "confrontation", also the embarrassment of standing there like a fool when the guy says "NO! you can't join in and NO! I am not nearly finished" what do you do? stand there like a tool and and say... "Oh... erm... OKAAAAAAAY then! I'll, er just keep on waiting then!" LOL

I also totally get what you are saying about being in their territory. It is a whole new place for me. I would imagine a guy would feel the same if he started getting facials and was waiting with the other ladies in the salon. I guess it is just about breaking down them gender barriers and for me to grow some balls LOL
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    My problem is, I get a bit shy. Going up to a stranger and asking to join them is like my idea of hell LOL.

That's really your problem not his. He can't read your mind.

Never said it was his problem did I? Still doesn't stop it being frustrating when someone hogs a machine without thinking or taking notice of the several signs dotted about the gym.
    If you're not willing to ask to work in, then you really don't deserve to be mad when they take as much time as they'd like on the equipment. If they don't know you want to use the equipment they're not going to hurry. Plus, a lot of people record their workouts on their phones. I use the "notes" section on my iPhone to track my sets, weights, and reps so they might be scrolling to see how many reps they need to do and a what weight. Especially since so many programs go off of a certain percentage of your 1RM for each set/exercise/day/etc.

QFT!

I log all my workouts, make a note of weights etc.

Also to the OP; some ppl have a specific resting time.
  • selina884
    Options
    I am generally a patient person, when I go to the gym I am in no hurry to get finished, the evening is mine so if I have to wait, then so be it.

However it is getting increasingly frustrating when you are wanting to use a machine and the person on it is fiddling around with their iPod/Phone music for several minutes before even actually getting started. The Leg Press for example, it was my last thing to do, I went to the machine and someone was on it, so I went to the side of it where there is space to do floor-work and started on some crunches. He finished and I got up and this bloke practically jumped on the machine, then sat there for over 4 minutes (I managed to do 3x 1 minute planks) just fiddling with his iPod. He did one set, then sat there again for ages playing about, did another set, sat there again for ages, then got up. In total he must have been at least 10 minutes and in that time only did two sets.

I know people say things like "stop looking at other people workout concentrate on yourself" and all that stuff, but seriously, why do people spend so much time playing about on their gadgets, especially when the gym is busy and people are waiting. And before anyone says "he probably didn't know you were waiting" there are loads of signs saying "Do not hover" so I wasn't going to do that, but also on the flip sides there are signs saying about being considerate of other user and not to "hog" the machines etc.

*pointless thread really, just needed a bit of a moan*

I've noticed that increasingly people are becoming too distracted by technology (ipod, ipads, iphone's, smartphones ect) at the gym and they're pace is slowing down. I agree with you it's frustrating! The other day the woman next to me on the treadmill must have received and replied to 20 texts in the half hour we were there. She never even broke a sweat while people waited for treadmills. Grrrrrrrrr :grumble:

Are you sure she wasnt doing steady state cardio?
    See, ppl are so quick to judge.
  • EmmaReed84
    Options
    Sorry, but what is QFT?
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry I did this to you. Let me explain: I do very heavy, high rep leg presses and it usually takes me 2-3 minutes to recover for my next set. During this rest period, I input my set info into an app on my phone to keep track of progress and to psych myself up for the next set. However, if you ask to work in, I'd be more than happy to help you set the weight to what your needs are and have my rest while you do your set. You might even get in two sets in while I rest my legs! And about being shy, I don't bite. Neither does anyone else in the gym. But again, I apologize.

You don't? That's a shame. lol
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but what is QFT?

I've wondered this too
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    quoted for truth
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    How about you ask to work between their sets? Or is my gym the only effing place people do that? I can ask anyone to work in between their sets and they say yes. Why would they say no? Just ask.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    quoted for truth

he's lying to you.

it's Quit F***ing Talking
  • selina884
    Options
    I'm with you on this one, if people are going to rest for that amount of time between sets it would be nice if they could at least stand next to the machine so others can use it in that time. If there resting for 5 minutes between each set, thats enough time for someone else to complete all their sets assuming they don't rest that much.

Alternatively if you don't feel comfortable going up to them and asking, you can always look into an alternate exercise that works the same muscle group as a 'back up' if the machine is out of use. Machines are good, but in my opinion free weights, and floor work is much more beneficial :-)

Stand next to the machine? lulz, what are you, royalty?
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    And about being shy, I don't bite . Neither does anyone else in the gym.

Well that's disappointing, :wink:
  • Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Guys ask all the time to work in with me.. since I am usually circuit training, it actually works out well....

what I don't get is why they ask when there is another machine of the same type free... ;-)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    How about you ask to work between their sets? Or is my gym the only effing place people do that? I can ask anyone to work in between their sets and they say yes. Why would they say no? Just ask.

when i worked out in Chicago, working in was something that was always done. then I move to LA, and they look at your like a leper if you ask/offer to work in. I'm not sure if it's a regional thing or just that people have gotten so scared about bacteria in the last decade and won't work in anymore.

either way, it's annoying. i'd rather you work in with me than f'ing hover over my bench for 15 minutes while rolling your eyes at how long i rest between sets
  • jackedphilosopher
    Options
    The worst is when you are waiting to squat and some fat meathead is doing curls in the squat rack.... I hate that person more than anyone else in the world :sad:
  • RatherBeInTheShire
    RatherBeInTheShire Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    What is as equally as frustrating is when there are signs all over the gym (planet fitness) that say NO USE OF CELL PHONES and people are chatting away and texting (not even working out) on the equipment, and then the gym doesn't enfore their own rule. I stopped going. I just work out at home/outside without the frustration.
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Same here, I am noticing many people using the machines/equipment to sit and surf/text/ect..... please have respect for other gym goers, if you aren't actively using said machine/eqpt, please move so others may use it.

And YES i do understand some programs/workouts require "X" of rest time between sets, it the rest time is over a min or two and you see someone waiting, maybe offer to "share" the machines so both of you can get your sets done.

And I'm getting braver about asking people if they are using something and I don't mind if people ask me. If i'm not honestly using it or just finished, I'll wipe it down and offer it up.

But I also have had people insist that I get off something because they want to use it - even though it is very CLEAR that I am using the said piece of eqpt .Case in point, a lunk getting in my face and basically demanding the bench then acting hurt when I said no. I guess not everyone has great manners or personal consideration. Yes the gym was busy, yes I probably could have moved even though I had done 3 of 4 sets and was about to lay back down - (upright set only took 2 min to give my weak shoulder a break), but this person later took the bench beside me and spent MORE time texting than lifting (and I was using more weight!).
  • EmmaReed84
    Options
    What is as equally as frustrating is when there are signs all over the gym (planet fitness) that say NO USE OF CELL PHONES and people are chatting away and texting (not even working out) on the equipment, and then the gym doesn't enfore their own rule. I stopped going. I just work out at home/outside without the frustration.

I take my phone in the gym but only to check the time and use the timer on. I don't answer any texts or calls. Unless it is DH, because that means something must be wrong as he knows I am at the gym...

Although the last time he rang me I jumped off the bike in a panic answered the phone to be greeted with "Emma, what am I doing with this beef? Are they going in wraps or pittas?"
  • suv_hater
    suv_hater Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Don't get frustrated. Go pick up dumbbells and do some lunges. You gotta improvise and keep grindin'.

Then you go back to the leg press machine.

THEN you get the results.... because you went extra hard in the gym that day.

Don't worry about the people with their fancy phones and $2.99 apps computing and beep boopin'. Let your mind and body direct you across that damn gym. $##$% CLOCKS, $%#$$ PHONES, $#$#% A #@$#@ CALORIE COUNTER......... LET YOUR INNER BEAST RUN WILD.
  • seanf23
    seanf23 Posts: 5
    Options
    I'm with you on this one, if people are going to rest for that amount of time between sets it would be nice if they could at least stand next to the machine so others can use it in that time. If there resting for 5 minutes between each set, thats enough time for someone else to complete all their sets assuming they don't rest that much.

Alternatively if you don't feel comfortable going up to them and asking, you can always look into an alternate exercise that works the same muscle group as a 'back up' if the machine is out of use. Machines are good, but in my opinion free weights, and floor work is much more beneficial :-)

Stand next to the machine? lulz, what are you, royalty?

lol, no.. One of the gyms I use to go to there wasn't many machines so if people had long rest periods between sets and someone was waiting for the machine, they use to stand off the machine and let other people go in their rest period or alternate with them. I probably didn't word that too well in my first post. But if others are clearly waiting and the person using the machine has 5 mins to kill while they rest, there is no harm in standing up while the other person gets their workout done.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I use an app to track my workout and MFP on my phone. While I rest (usually around 30 secs - 1 minute) I would log the reps into the app. It's a good thing that there aren't many bodybuilder types at this Y, so there's no long line for the weight machines. Somebody did ask if they can work in while I tapped in my numbers, so I said yes. No big deal.