Gym Shoe Recommendations

Options
Hi does anyone have any recommendations on gym shoes. I mainly walk/ jog on the treadmill and do the elliptical plus strength training three times a week. So I am in need of some good shoes. The KSwiss I own now are not doing me any justice. I am leaning towards the Nike Flex, Nike Dual Fusion ST 2 or the Nike Flex Supreme Cross Trainer. I like many brands of shoes but Nike seems to have the narrowest shoes which I need. Do any of you have any recommendation?. I will take all into consideration, thanks is advance.

Thanks,
Chrystal

Replies

• ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Converse Chuck Taylors are a good all around lifting shoe. With the possible exception of squat routines (I prefer them for that, but many people prefer a shoe with an elevated heel).

I don't think they are ideal for running, plyometrics, or most other cardio exercises.
  • Labrum3
    Labrum3 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am not sure Converse Chuck Taylors have the support I am looking for though. I know right now in the shoes I have the bottom of my feet hurt due to lack of support. I thought about getting them though for looks but not for the gym. :-)
  • moto67e
    moto67e Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Reebok Nano's are really nice, but they are kinda wide. Innov8 are more narrow and are a really good shoe. You can find them on 6pm.com for really cheap.
  • fitnessfreddie
    fitnessfreddie Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Besides jogging, Chuck Taylors are the best I think.
  • Labrum3
    Options
    I do like Reebok so I will look into those and see what I can find. I know they don't have decent Reeboks in store so online I will have to look for those. Thanks guys
  • Tigger228
    Tigger228 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Try going to a specialized running store (Pacers, etc). They will put you on a treadmill and watch how you walk/jog to see if your body has any parts that it "guards" that may be weak. Then they will recommend the best shoe for you and any health/physical restrictions that you may have. The shoes will be between $100.00-$150.00 but most good running shoes are. They're definitely worth the money and much cheaper than a visit to the doctor.

Good luck!
  • sarahjayne823
    sarahjayne823 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You need to visit a running store to be properly sized/fitted. They will be able to offer the best shoes for your foot, according to the way you walk/run. I get all of my running shoes from the Texas Running Company here in Houston -- and I am usually always fitted with an Asics. Fabulous fit every time!!
  • gpizzy
    gpizzy Posts: 171
    Options
    I'd go to The Running Room or another shoe place that will be able to help you identify what type of foot you have/how your foot strikes the ground. If you over pronate as an example. Then, they can tell you what type of shoe that you will work best for you. This is particularly important for the running and walking part of things. You can probably self-identify which type of shoe by doing some research online (including on the RR website), and then research what type of shoes will accomplish what you need. It's SO worth investing in a great pair of runnings and replacing them when the treads on the bottom start to get worn.
  • Jlbland123
    Jlbland123 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Try going to a specialized running store (Pacers, etc). They will put you on a treadmill and watch how you walk/jog to see if your body has any parts that it "guards" that may be weak. Then they will recommend the best shoe for you and any health/physical restrictions that you may have. The shoes will be between $100.00-$150.00 but most good running shoes are. They're definitely worth the money and much cheaper than a visit to the doctor.

Good luck!

This! I only wore Nikes for many years because I never realized there were so many other specialized brands. (I had never heard of Saucony, Mizuno, Brooks, etc.) Once I had a "gait analysis" at a running store, I found out my ankle rolled outward without me even noticing and got a stability shoe called the Asics GT-2170. It has made a world of difference and I find myself able to log many more miles than I ever could with regular shoes. I also use them for walking and circuit training because they help so much. :) If you want to go a cheaper route, runningwarehouse.com lets you submit an online gait analysis and they always have shoes on liquidation if you don't mind using an older (but usually very similar) model.
  • aarikadanielle
    Options
    I bought nike free2 for my training shoe! they are amazing light weight great for lifting and cardio. They are breathable too.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I own some Saucony's that are truly awesome. I never had a true pair of running shoes, and in doing my research, the best reviews were for two: Brooks and Saucony. Brooks were a bit pricey for me but the Saucony's were reasonable.
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the type of foot you have and how you walk/run on it. What works for someone else won't work for you.
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I have owned everything BUT Nike (never ever ever ever will purchase that garbage!) and my fav so far have been my Adidas and my Reeboks. I have the ZigTech pair and I LOVE them for jogging/running. They're so light and they don't hurt my feet. I always get blisters on the balls of my feet from running and with these it doesn't happen.
  • MasterKat
    MasterKat Posts: 149
    Options
    My all time fav has become the Nike Pegasus. I walk/jog and they are the first shoe to actually feel good. I use to get cramps in the side of my foot but, not with these.

I do have to agree though. Go to a running store and have them properly fit...some places even guarantee their shoe for 30 days...which I did. In the end I went from a $180 shoe to a $100 shoe!
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I wear NB running shoes on the elliptical. :shrug: I got them from Joe's New Balance Outlet for $30. :smile:
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Try a bunch on and see what feels good. For running, I put sorbothane inserts in my shoes. They add extra support plus shock absorption and have cleared up some issues I was having (soreness in my legs, shin splints, etc)
  • Luvmesumkenny
    Luvmesumkenny Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I have a Pair of the Reebok Nano ( Awesome running shoes, very light)
    I just bought a pair of NIke Free TR Fit 3 SO COMFORTABLE & LIGHT. I do alot of High inpact cardio classes so these shoes are PERFECT.
    My next splurge will be the Nike Flyknit Lunar $160 but I hear worth every penny. Voted #1 Crosstrainer :smile:
  • lesliev523
    lesliev523 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I have Puma's for the gym.... where I lift and use the elliptical. And then I have the Puma running shoe (not sure what it is called) for running outside.
  • Labrum3
    Options
    You guys are awesome and I think what I am gonna do is find a shoe store here in my town that can help me with what I should be wearing. I am extremely fond of the Nikes since they are on the narrow side and my feet are very narrow but you are right. I need to talk to someone who knows shoes because if I am gonna spend some money I need to make sure to get the right ones the first time. My current shoes are 2 years old and if you put your hand in them you can feel the padding of the bottom wore down pretty good. This might explain why the balls of my feet hurt after the treadmill or elliptical.

Thank you again everyone for the help and advice