Intermittent Fasting

Options
Hey people, I'm starting IF today. I think I'm going to have a eating window from 2pm to 8pm every day. I look after my 4 month old son full time also and my wife finishes work at 530pm.. This is to lose the final stone I think I need to. my exercise regime is 30DS and jogging.

Anyone had success (pics maybe) on the IF

Replies

• JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good start, modify the plan if you find it's not working. Even one-two days a week of a partial fast gets me way under my calorie goal for the week. I also tend to need a "spike" day here and there to balance it out if I'm working out heavy, but the average still usually works in my favor. Mix it up and I'll bet you see results. May also try a different workout routine, or some interval training sets on your runs.
  • babychris1
    babychris1 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it very much. I will bear all of that in mind.
  • wifeymou1112
    wifeymou1112 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Yup! I do 20/4 and eat from 7pm-11pm. Usually 10pm-11pm is my binge mode food frenzy but it all fits my calories :bigsmile:

This is my before picture in my "ham beast planet fat as fatass mode" lol
    2195f65412269e16185e0d5fa6d99d00_zpsd9ffb6b3.jpg

Here's one once I lost all the weight but was in slight Auschwitz mode
    c5aeee3bcfb41fc1a1e338fd906fa7de_zps9763b49c.jpg

Here's my back after a little more lifting and a bulk. Dat posterior chain.
    0188929a5e68db3d9ea3c1b94ea46631_zps435db12a.jpg

Arm gains
    9d17a8d2fe3ff08bea6a5cd44892e0f2_zpse36321bb.jpg

Leg gains
    739443b3d137ec9dca2686480b985203_zps5cba115a.jpg

And that's the end of my photo dump show and tell :flowerforyou:
  • babychris1
    Options
    So it works and if I am consistent the fat will "drop" off?

I think I'll eat between 530pm to 10pm

Is it difficult waking up in the morning and then not having some breakfast with couple of hours or so or does it get progressively easier not eating until (in some cases) the end of the day, i.e 530pm
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    So it works and if I am consistent the fat will "drop" off?

I think I'll eat between 530pm to 10pm

Is it difficult waking up in the morning and then not having some breakfast with couple of hours or so or does it get progressively easier not eating until (in some cases) the end of the day, i.e 530pm
    After the first week or two it gets much easier. The reason you get hungry in the morning now is because your body is used to eating in the morning so your ghrelin spikes. After a while of not eating in the morning, your ghrelin stops spiking during the morning.
  • babychris1
    Options
    OK cool thanks, makes sense. I will just drink water then during the day. I going to carry on my exercises in the morning and finish before 12 noon.

How many lbs a week is "expected" usually?

I don't have too much fat percent.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I just started a version of this two days ago: 600/2000 calorie every-other-day split so bump to hopefully see some more stories and tips in this thread.

Doing this solely because low carb isn't killing my Spring allergy cravings and I freaking hate craving and feeling hungry all the time so I figure this way maybe I can crave and be hungry only half the time and still lose or maintain.

Anyone done something like this long-term or is this really meant as a short-term thing? Also has anyone ever tried a low carb version of this or is that a bad idea?
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    OK cool thanks, makes sense. I will just drink water then during the day. I going to carry on my exercises in the morning and finish before 12 noon.

How many lbs a week is "expected" usually?

I don't have too much fat percent.

It really depends on your calorie deficit. This is what I did that helped me to start having results: calorie deficit and IIFYM, lift fasted (Wendler's 5/3/1 program), drop all cardio, and eat right after my workout when possible.
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    There are a few IF groups here on MFP that are really helpful.

I just started this week with a 5:2 approach. Normal cals 5 days a week, less than 500 (600 for men) on fast days. I fast on Mondays and Thursdays. I'm going to do this for 30 days and see how it goes. If good, I plan to do a fast day or two a week forever to hopefully gain some longevity benefit.

First fast day went great. The biggest challenge was getting used to cooking my dinner without fats. I actually kind of enjoyed paying attention to how my hunger changed through the days. Little waves, but nothing too hard.

Yesterday, though, I ate normally but had a bottomless pit hunger all day. Even after a steak dinner I felt hungry an hour later. It was weird and not at all what I'm used to.

I eat mostly Paleo so my days are generally lower carb than most people. I don't see how eating lower carb makes much difference to your fast if it's what you prefer and are used to. I wouldn't start out doing both low carb and IF at the same time. That's a lot to adjust to. IMO.

I'm actually looking forward to fast day again tomorrow. Not because it's fun to fast, but for the challenge and my little n=1 experiment. I'm curious where my cals for the week will land.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode!
  • Cese27
    Cese27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Poor bait Acg
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    bump
  • eats1
    eats1 Posts: 16
    Options
    hi there, good to see someone else is doing what I do! I am on the 5:2 Dr Michael Mosley fast diet. My 500 calorie days are also Mon and Thurs. I've been doing it for 4 weeks and have lost 9lbs. BMI has reduced from 26.4% to 24.1%, one and a quarter inches off my waist. An inportant part of this way of losing weight is that on the other 5 normal days you MUST eat both fat and carbs. Good luck. C
  • Coco_UK
    Coco_UK Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I just read the book 'the fast diet' and giving this 5:2 plan a go. Did my first day of 500 cals yesterday and was bloody weird but ok.... today I was 2 lb lighter which I am aware would be down to water loss etc, but hey ho, not gonna complain am I?

Still, this concept is the first thing to get me excited about doing something healthy in a while so will try again tomorrow. One day at a time :-)

xx
  • jvhammy
    jvhammy Posts: 3
    Options
    HI,

I did the 1200 cal day on MFP and lost 10 lbs. I just started the Fast Diet or the 5 2 diet. What I LOVE about this is anycan can do it for a day! or 2... You are allowed 500 calories. Thats 3 cups of salad with chichen and other veggies and even a spoon of olive oil! Hardley feels like fasting! And knowing I can eat mormal on the weekend will let me do this as long as I need to. This is the best "fast" diet I have seen or tried.