Tired After Workout?

Options
Why am I always tired after my workout? I eat right and about 1200-1400 calories. My workout consist of 30 minutes cardio followed by strength training on Mon, Wed, Friday. Then Tues, Thurs, and Sat just 30-45 minutes cardio. I need to know what is causing this and how I can fix it. I like to work out early morning but can't now. I am always tired afterwards and get nothing done. So I have moved my workouts to mid day after getting many things done first. If anyone has any insight on this, please help. I thought I was suppose to feel great and have energy after busting my butt, now tired and just wanna sleep.

Chrystal

Replies

• Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Can you make your diary public? What types of food do you fuel your body with? Are you low on iron?
  • m4ttcheek
    m4ttcheek Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Your cals are too low for that much exercise.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Do you eat back exercise calories as per the MFP method? My guess is you're not fueling that level of activity. Realize that MFP uses your NEAT (Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis) in setting your calorie goal. This means that your calorie goal is based on your daily activities other than exercise. When you log exercise you will note that MFP ups your calorie goal...you should be achieving that goal, not undershooting it. One caveat is that I only eat back about 75% of my exercise calories to account for estimation error and BMR...but you should be eating most of them back to fuel that activity.

Also, make sure you're getting the proper fuel...i.e. wholesome, nutrient dense foods.
  • Labrum3
    Labrum3 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have my calories set at 1200 but when I enter my cardio it gives me more to eat, which I do eat. So by the end of the day I have eaten about 1500 calories due to exercise. I mainly do green smoothie for breakfast, either a salad, subway sandwich, or another green smoothie for lunch, then dinner is 4 oz of meat and two sides one being a veggie and other being carbs. Snacks are either a kind bar, hummus and gluten free crackers, or some sort of snack under 200 calories. I really try to eat healthy and stay away from junk plus the only thing I drink is water at least 8 glasses a day.

Just ate a smoothie consisting of 1 banana, 10 strawberries, 2 cups kale, 1/2 cup pineapple, plus water. About to head to the gym for 30-45 minutes of elliptical or the arc trainer.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    How long has this been going on? You could be coming down with something. Usually exercise energizes me, but I've learned that if I come out of a workout feeling dragged out and knocked down, I'm going to be sick within a week.
  • sherim71
    sherim71 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    My first thought would be to look at protein for one thing. You may not be getting the protein your body needs because you are eating a lot of smoothies, strength training three days a week and eating at low calories.
  • thatsingergirl
    thatsingergirl Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    One thing that sticks out is that you're not eating much protein. If you have a smoothie without protein, you're getting sugars and maybe some fiber, but nothing that will really keep your blood sugar stable. For me, I lose stamina and bottom out quickly during a workout if I don't eat enough protein. Maybe something to consider?
  • Labrum3
    Options
    You guys might be right it could be protein bc the only protein I really get is not till dinner, sometimes lunch, never breakfast. I know I am not coming down with anything because it is week three and I am still run down after my workouts. Maybe I should be adding protein shake or something of that sort with my green smoothies in the morning? Can anyone recommend a good protein powder with low calories but a lot of protein per serving?
  • Labrum3
    Options
    Looking at my logs I am getting about 50-60g of protein a day with most being at dinner.
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    You guys might be right it could be protein bc the only protein I really get is not till dinner, sometimes lunch, never breakfast. I know I am not coming down with anything because it is week three and I am still run down after my workouts. Maybe I should be adding protein shake or something of that sort with my green smoothies in the morning? Can anyone recommend a good protein powder with low calories but a lot of protein per serving?

If that's all your getting protein wise, that's definitely an issue. Protein is particularly important when you're working out the way you are. Your sources of fuel, while most are nutritionally dense choices, lack any staying power or long term energy supply...sugars in all of those fruits and veggies get used up really quick and leave you depleted...more protein and my guess would also be more healthy fats as well from things like avocado, olive oil, nuts and nut butters, etc. No protein and no fat = no energy.
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    Looking at my logs I am getting about 50-60g of protein a day with most being at dinner.

MFP's default macro settings are something like 55% carbs, 15% protein, and 30% fat. Protein is really low on those default settings...I customized mine to 40/30/30 which coincidentally gives me my 1g per Lb of LBM. You should really look to be getting around 1g of protein per Lb of LBM; at minimum, shoot for about 100 grams daily. Also, like I said before...take a look at your fats as well.
  • Labrum3
    Options
    cwolfman13 thank you, I think you are right and I will start to aim for 100g a day of protein with some being in the snack before the workout and I am assuming protein after too, like at lunch. I can do healthy fats but they usually come with high calories. But higher calories in such as protein and healthy fats will keep my fuller and have more energy for longer. Thank you again, that is my new goal shoot for more protein.