Ween off of Diet Soda or Quit Cold Turkey?

Options
I'm a huuuuggggeeee Diet Soda drinker, like I could finish a 6 pack of the bottles in one 12 hour work shift. Should I just quit cold turkey or should I try to lower my intake. I don't drink coffee because I have a heart arrhythmia So I've relied on Diet Soda to keep my pep in my step when everything gets crazy in the ER. I'm usually a pretty happy person but to be honest giving up some of my favorite mood stabilizers (chocolate, Milk shakes, french fries) has given me a bit of a tude at work lol and now my diet soda whyyyyyyyyyy lol anyway any suggestions?

Replies

• kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I don't see why you should stop drinking it if you enjoy it - although finishing a 6 pack of bottles doesn't sound too good! Just cut down and enjoy it in moderation.
  • doomspark
    doomspark Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend cutting down slowly.

I was a diet-soda fiend as well - 3 or 4 cans a day was my usual intake. I started by limiting myself to 1 can in the morning and one in the afternoon.

The thing about diet sodas is that they're loaded with sodium - which (in my case) wrecks my blood pressure.
  • kitcatsheart
    kitcatsheart Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm mostly concerned because I've read that diet soda can lead to sweet cravings and make temptation harder. but that sounds like a good plan cut down to 2 cans a day then see how I feel from there :) Thanks
  • Careyann72
    Careyann72 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Definitely don't quit cold turkey!!! The headaches that can give you are awful! I used to drink regular soda then diet (because my dentist told me to quit regular since I was getting cavities from it!), got the flu for a week and couldn't drink any pop, when I got better I switched to caffeine free diet soda, got all kinds of crap for years about why I didn't just drink water cause' what's the point?! Finally decided they were all right and stopped drinking pop all together. It wasn't hard to quit the caffeine free diet cold turkey because the caffeine really is what gets you, I think I'm going on 3 years of no soda and I don't miss it at all. I can't even drink it now, just too sweet and nasty tasting! It's amazing what you can get used to! I wouldn't stop completely but I would cut back 6 a day is really bad for you. Maybe eliminate 1 a day for a couple weeks then reduce it another one. I would take it slow though, your body will not like it but will be better for it in the long run! Good luck!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend cutting down slowly.

I was a diet-soda fiend as well - 3 or 4 cans a day was my usual intake. I started by limiting myself to 1 can in the morning and one in the afternoon.

The thing about diet sodas is that they're loaded with sodium - which (in my case) wrecks my blood pressure.

which kind are you drinking? My coke zero has 40 mg of sodium. In a day, I'm allowed 2500. 40/2500=0.016 or 1.6% of my day.

SO......I'm not seeing the sodium numbers to match your claim.
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    I'd be more concerned with the chocolate, milk shakes and french fries as "mood stabilizers".

ETA: Why would you give up any of these things? If they fit into your macros then enjoy them in moderation. Moderation being the key word.
  • kmrbriscoe
    kmrbriscoe Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I did it cold turkey 2 1/2 weeks ago, now I keep a water bottle with me constantly. I drink one travel mug of coffee every morning and have not missed the extra caffeine from the soda. I gave up soda to help limit the amount of useless chemicals I was throwing in my body.
  • seanezekiel
    seanezekiel Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I drink a ton of diet soda. hasnt hurt my diet in the least.
  • Hodgie12345
    Hodgie12345 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Just quit. Its done then. Hodgie x
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Quitting caffeine cold turkey gives me a headache that can last for a week, so I've learned other ways to do it (sadly, I've quit many times and started back up, so I have a lot of practice). The least painful method for me works as follows: wait to drink any until the tiniest tiniest bit of a headache comes, and then drink enough to kill the headache. Then wait for the next twinge, and drink again, hopefully a bit less. In between, I drink TONS of water, probably double my normal intake. The water is crucial, as is not waiting past the point of no headache return on the caffeine. Can you drink tea? If so, that can work to increase water intake and you can dilute it more and more to cut the caffeine. With my caffeine intake, the tapering method takes me about 4 days to stop (it might take longer if you are drinking 6+ per day), and then another few days to feel FREE!

Good luck!! Getting rid of my mood stabilizers has been tough (I still eat a bit of chocolate, as dark as I can stand it).
  • kitcatsheart
    kitcatsheart Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'd be more concerned with the chocolate, milk shakes and french fries as "mood stabilizers".

ETA: Why would you give up any of these things? If they fit into your macros then enjoy them in moderation. Moderation being the key word.

I was only kidding lol trying to make light, it's a running joke with people I work with. Working ER can be crazy, especially when everyone you work with is female except one person who is part time lol. So sometimes we'll be like OOO so and so is getting moody we're gonna need reeses cups stat. It's all in fun lol
  • dparent01
    dparent01 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I too was a HUGE drinker of Diet Pepsi. I could drink a 64 oz. bottle a day and have done so for many years. This past Christmas I told myself that I needed to quit. It's not so much the sodium in a soda but all the other artificial ingredients. I just stopped buying it and I started drinking unsweetened ice tea with a packet of Sweet-n-low. This helped with the caffeine. After about a month of not drinking it at all, I started to drink it one night a week while playing cards. Now I don't really miss it and if I really feel like I need the taste of one I will buy 1 small bottle and drink it. Again, I did it mostly because of all the artificial ingredients. Now the challenge is to ween myself off of the Sweet-n-low. LOL! I've always been better with the cold turkey move. Anyway, it's all about what works best for you! Good luck!
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    I was a big diet pepsi drinker. The way I got off them was to start using Mio water flavors. That way, I was still getting some kind of taste rather than just drinking water. Started just drinking diet pepsi with meals, and mio water the rest of the time. Then I replaced, over time, one meal at a time with mio water. When I got off the diet soda, I started only using mio water at meals, and regular water the rest of the time. Then started replacing one meal at a time, again gradually over time, with regular water instead of mio water. Now I drink nothing but water, and the occasional iced tea sweetened with stevia.
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    Now the challenge is to ween myself off of the Sweet-n-low. LOL!

Steveia. All natural, calorie free sweetener.
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options
    I say cold turkey ... I stopped a 6 Mt Dew a day habit cold turkey. It sux at 1st, but then it's over. Now I drink water with every meal .....
  • AmyMgetsfit
    AmyMgetsfit Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I went cold turkey with regular coke. I haven't had any in over 2 months. I don't even crave it anymore.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,798 Member
    Options
    I suggest just cutting back, I attempted quitting coffee and soda at the same time, and had horrible caffeine withdrawls, i dont recommend it
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it's whatever works best for your personality.

If I'm going to do something, I can't do baby steps. All or nothing. Same with quitting smoking, I tried the gum and smoking less but it was always *there* and I couldn't stop. So I went cold turkey and voila!
  • lotushead
    lotushead Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    diet soda has aspartame. definitely cutting it out completely is going to do you way better than limiting your intake.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Cold turkey. Tapering off just gives you time to make reasons to keep drinking it.