A bit intimidated...

Options
I enjoy going to the gym...I will hop on those machines and get it done. My only thing is I'm trying to switch up my workouts. I'm not familiar with anything that doesn't have the directions on the side of the machine, if you know what I mean...

Suggestions and links for other workouts in the gym?

I would experiment, but I don't want to look like a *kitten*, and my gym is ALWAYS busy.

Replies

• justmeg86
    justmeg86 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Grab an exercise ball and do some sit ups, stretches, etc. I know what you mean about not trying new things when it's busy. I stick to the same ol same ol when it's busy and do my experimenting/learning when it's less busy. I also stay away from free weights because I don't want to be in the way of the big macho guys that are always using them. I know it's a bit ridiculous and I should be able to use them, but I'm kind of shy!
  • jjoyce408
    jjoyce408 Posts: 24
    Options
    Exactly! If I actually knew what I was doing, I wouldn't mind working around the macho men. I feel like such a dumby hanging out on the "experience-necessary" side of the gym.
  • sjeagle30
    sjeagle30 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I am interested to hear the replys on this!! I also just joined the gym and I dont know what to do with half of the machines. I end up doing treadmill and the bike and a few of the ab and leg machines that have directions :)
  • TheShrinkingKween
    TheShrinkingKween Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I just ordered the book "New Rules of Lifting for Women". I've heard a lot about it on here and in a couple of other forums, and it sounds like it should help with exactly what you are talking about. I don't know much about free weights either, but I know that the strength training can only help. A quote from the description on Amazon... "a comprehensive strength training, conditioning, and nutrition plan specifically designed to help women reap the benefits of weightlifting. Along with women’s fitness expert Cassandra Forsythe, they show how stepping off the treadmill and into the weight room can help women get the body they want." Hope this helps. I can't wait to get my copy!
  • jonesin_am
    jonesin_am Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Grab an exercise ball and do some sit ups, stretches, etc. I know what you mean about not trying new things when it's busy. I stick to the same ol same ol when it's busy and do my experimenting/learning when it's less busy. I also stay away from free weights because I don't want to be in the way of the big macho guys that are always using them. I know it's a bit ridiculous and I should be able to use them, but I'm kind of shy!

I too was intimidated by the "big macho guys" when I first started. I am shy and uncomfortable in m own skin but am working on it. But I bought the NROL4W book, read through it, watched a ton of videos and marched into the gym ready to begin. Walked into the weight room...felt the queasy feeling in the pit of my stomach. Turned around and walked out. Felt like a complete idiot for not following through with it. The next day I decided to go in, forget about those around me and do my thing. It took a few sessions to feel somewhat comfortable with the equipment and with that I was doing but now I just do my thing. I have even asked one of those guys to critique my form. I am a firm believer in all the good things happen OUTSIDE of your comfort zone. PUSH it!
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    GOOGLE
  • SECOLE22
    SECOLE22 Posts: 15
    Options
    I found that if I go early on Sundays there are like 4 people in my gym, all of which are so dedicated they are focused only on themselves and their workout, so that gives me the courage to hop around and try different stuff because no one is paying attention. Once a trainer actually came up and gave me a few pointers, since they weren't busy attending to clients so that's a perk. Also I've googled several different workout routines/videos to get an idea of gym routines and jotted the down, taped to the side of my water bottle. I usually don't notice others trying to figure something out/fumbling around, so I figure most people don't notice me, hopefully :).
  • aarikadanielle
    Options
    What I did was actually hired a personal trainer and he has personally shown me everything that I need to. If you go to a gym that has training available and you are willing to pay for it, try it!! I love it I still train with him twice a week!
  • fatfrost
    fatfrost Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    As an attractive woman, you should feel free to ask any dude in a gym for advice on any piece of equipment at any time (unless he's mid set). Assuming he's straight, you will get plenty of guidance and will also make him feel like a champion.
  • jennfranklin
    jennfranklin Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    One thing you have to remember, and it took me a long time to realize this also. Everyone there is usually there to worry about their own fitness, and they don't really pay attention. It is like I use to feel intimidated by going into the big weight room at the Y, something I call or use to call the "meat locker" LOL.. Because that is where all the big, beefy guys lifted weights. Here I am a petite 5'1" female, wanting to learn to lift heavy. They would grunt and groan, and sweat buckets... Now I am in there with them, focusing on me, grunting, growling, groaning, and sweating right along with them!
  • ReneeElizabeth26
    Options
    Trainers can be expensive but if you get one for a session or two just to show you the ropes it might be helpful and worth the money!!! And dont let the big "macho" guys intimadate you..They usually look sillier than anybody grunting and huffing and puffing turning all red and thrwoing the weights down like some sort of gym "bad *kitten*". :)
  • EvilWabbit
    Options
    Youtube's a great place to lookup exorcises. You get to see them in action so you have an idea of how to maintain proper form.
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    What I did was actually hired a personal trainer and he has personally shown me everything that I need to. If you go to a gym that has training available and you are willing to pay for it, try it!! I love it I still train with him twice a week!

yeah, gotta agree. If you're not confident then getting someone to show you how to do it correctly is good.

the harder way is to read books like NROLFW or Starting Strength.... Watch youtube videos, read blogs, and just piece it together as best you can :smile:
  • MJKlimchuk
    Options
    Check out www.bodybuilding.com and click WORKOUTS then click on EXERCISES. There are video's on how to do them.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Have the on duty fitness manager, instructor, or whoever, show you how! That's why they are there. I'm not sure why it would bother you, but if it does, go during a time when fewer people would be there. At my gym, it's around 10 or 11am.. mostly older folks are there then.
    It doesn't bother me at all to see anyone learn how to use a machine. I'd rather see that than having them use it wrong and/or get hurt. Plus, it makes me happy to see people getting healthy and I'm proud of them, that they are there to do it.

ETA, sorry I missed your note that your gym is always busy. I also noted that a lot of people said to hire a personal trainer.. most gyms will at least once, show people how to use the equipment without charging. It's in their best interest to not have people get hurt. When I joined mine, they showed me how to use every single machine that I planned on using. The guy spent at least an hour with me and I know that if I choose to use a different machine, he'd show me how to use it too. If you really need a fitness 'plan' with a workout specifically for you, it may be easier for you to go ahead and hire someone.
    Good luck.
  • jadlpc222
    jadlpc222 Posts: 15
    Options
    Check out www.bodybuilding.com and click WORKOUTS then click on EXERCISES. There are video's on how to do them.

I was about to say the same. Most of the programs on that site have videos that are FREE and show you how to do each exercise. It definitely made things easier for me.
  • Imadarkswan
    Imadarkswan Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Ask an employee to give you an orientation on how to use the equipment.
    You can also ask if any of the employees are there to help individuals who do not have a workout partner.