I ate 1500 calories over maintenance.... HELP!

Options
I'm not usually one to binge... But I had an off day regarding my diet and it just added up without realizing.

Would it be ok to go into starvation mode territory the day after (being today) just for one day, to off set yesterday and then go back to normal? (which is 300 Cal below maintenance)

Or should I just go back to normal routine today and not try and eat so little?

Also, with a 300 calorie deficit, does it really mean it would take 5 days to make up for my binge? Because 1500 divided by 300 equals 5 :(

Replies

• RedneckMomma77
    RedneckMomma77 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    One day is not going to make or break a diet. Just move on, and eat like you are supposed to today. You didn't get fat by eating a whole bunch in one day, so doing that once is not going to keep you fat. Don't try to punish yourself by not eating at all today. Just eat normally today and watch for doing that again in the future. Don't deny yourself what ever it is that you binged on, just practice moderation. No food is off limits (unless allergies or sensitivities to a particular food or group), just learn to practice portion control.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    One day is not going to make or break a diet. Just move on, and eat like you are supposed to today. You didn't get fat by eating a whole bunch in one day, so doing that once is not going to keep you fat. Don't try to punish yourself by not eating at all today. Just eat normally today and watch for doing that again in the future. Don't deny yourself what ever it is that you binged on, just practice moderation. No food is off limits (unless allergies or sensitivities to a particular food or group), just learn to practice portion control.

This.
    It happens, we all slip. How you recover is what really matters.
  • nwg74
    nwg74 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    1500 calories is not even half a pound. The extra calories won't just suddenly add fat immediately. You can just work it off the next couple of days if you want.
  • DenverGirl93
    DenverGirl93 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I agree, carry on with your normal eatting. I did that during the holidays and made sure to exercise a bit more and actually dropped 2 pounds .
  • olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    Options

^^^THIS^^^
    Also, when I do that I simply try to eat a little less for the next week or so to make sure it eventually averages out. The MFP App has a great tool for this when you click on "weekly". It shows the average daily for the week.

Good luck!
  • gemmaleigh1989
    gemmaleigh1989 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I can't create a bigger deficit than 300 cals per day otherwise my net calories would go below 1200 (my tdee, not including additional workouts is only 1500 because I'm only 5 foot and don't weigh much)

But thanks every one. I guess I'll just carry on as per normal and learn from my mistake by remembering the horrid regret that follows, particularly the day after!

And nwg74 - THANK YOU! that totally put it back into perspective for me!