Big guy looking to become less big.

Options
Hey my name is Drake, I am a 6'5" while at university I put on a ton of weight and weighed about 315 pounds. In my mid 20's and has lost quite a bit of the weight just by eating decently but still am very overweight at 255 and basically weak as hell. My goal is to be strong and lean. I dont care to be huge and muscular just enough to be fit and look/feel great. With a desk job and travel with long hours its hard to be motivated to get out and exercise. Also to maintain a healthy diet and toning down going out for "work drinks" and dinners that are just not good. I definitely suffer from procrastination and definitely eat for the sake of eating I would say. I guess its mindless when I work in front of a computer or being on the phone, looking for something to keep me focused while I am looking through tons of sometimes mindless work.

I have always been the biggest both in height and in width and really hate that, definitely haven't found a place in which I felt motivated and challenged to do anything. After surfing around this site and trying to figure out whether this will help me I definitely want to join in. I see a lot of people really benefiting and definitely want a piece of that action. Hopefully I can get some people as friends to I can stay motivated and I can help motivate others.

Replies

• Leo_gosh
    Leo_gosh Posts: 40
    Options
    Hey man i feel ya i am 6'2 !! i weighed around 120 kg last year !! but now i am 98 kg which is around 210 !! and my goal is to be 190 by this august !! The key is to not kill your self over some cravings !!! If you want something just have some !!Otherwise you'll quit !! but stay under ur calorie goal !! I took a break after losing 22kg !! And now i am starting again !! You are over 6 so you'll have faster metabolism !! Which is a very good thing when it comes to weight loss !! and other then diet !! cardio and weight training is very important !! Jogging,Boxing and basketball are some of the cardio i do !! Weight training is important if you want to tone ur body !! But in the end its up to you !! It worked for me and it will work for you !!
  • nickgarner6
    nickgarner6 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. Last spring I was approximately 250 lbs at 5 ' 9" , when I started weighing myself and began the process of losing weight I was at 226 lbs. I started working on losing weight and becoming fit at the end of last September . Since then I have lost over 40lbs and I am at 180lbs. I am now at the stage where I am more worried about body fat then weight. All it takes is work and some motivation.
  • Amanda0877
    Options
    I'm not a guy but I have some tips for you that really work. The number one rule, do not eat while in front of any electronic device (TV, computer, Ipad, etc). You loose track of how much you have eaten and just tend to keep eating just for the sake of it. Also, don't dine alone if you can help it. Conversation helps slow down how fast you eat and your body will feel full with less food the slower you eat.
    Second tip, Bikram Yoga. Don't knock it til you try it! Google it, its like the best thing on the planet. Each session burns about 600 calories (that's the equivalent about running for 3 hours). And its not just for skinny flexible yoga fanatics. At least half of every session I go to are people who are overweight or trying to get some other medical condition under control. Not only will you loose weight (and you WILL loose weight) but its good for your overall health.
    Last but certainly not least, if you are looking for a "diet" Paleo is the way to go. You don't have to follow it exactly, just the general guidelines will help you loose weight and be healthier. Basically all fresh food, no preservatives, no carbs. I know no carbs sounds next to impossible and let me tell you, the first 3 days are rough. But after that, I didn't have cravings anymore because you literally withdraw from all the stuff in bread that makes you crave it. And like I said, you don't have to all out quit with the carbs but stopping completely is easier than starting and stopping all the time. I lost 5 pounds the first week and the weight is just falling off. You will have to cook a lot though. But there are some awesome recipes out there. And if you aren't looking to "diet" just stay away from preservatives and nothing in the ingredients you can't pronounce. And just watch those calories! Good luck man!
  • lself0924
    lself0924 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! This is a good place to get and stay motivated! 30 lbs in 90 days for me! Good luck!
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    No fret fellow member! At 6'5, you'll lose a ton of weight fast as long as you eat below your BMR - add a bit of weight lifting and you will become muscular in no time!
  • DrakeMorse
    DrakeMorse Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    BMR?
  • grapegorilla13
    grapegorilla13 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Try this thread to explain some of the terms:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

It helped me get started.

Feel free to add me.
  • DopeyDudleyDursley
    Options
    BMR is Basal Metabolic Rate. Essentially what your body needs to function in a state of very little activity. I would not eat too much below your metabolic rate, rather I would go to a website and find how many calories you need to consume assuming very little exercise. You can then adjust upward a little if you feel you are going to exercise regularly. Feel free to add me as a friend if you would like, as I can hopefully help provide support for you along the way! I have studied a lot of nutrition and have some tips if you would like.
    Here is a good website. I would do little exercise and BMR to compare.
    http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    No fret fellow member! At 6'5, you'll lose a ton of weight fast as long as you eat below your BMR - add a bit of weight lifting and you will become muscular in no time!

Err, no.

Below your TDEE not your BMR.

TDEE - Total daily energy expenditure. Spend the time to understand the two. It will help.