Heart Rate Monitor HELP!

Options
Hello All!

I'm really sorry if this has been talked about a million times, BUT I really need some help...

I finally picked up a Heart Rate Monitor for me... made for women... has the strap to go around the chest. I got it set up, including my profile... on the watch.

It knows my height, weight, and gender... and obviously my heart rate.

Up until now I've been using a jogging app, or going based on the estimates on the equipment at the gym for my calorie burns.

Today I did the HRM in addition to my jogging app... and my jogging app says I burned 323 calories... and the HRM said 613!

Um... that's a HUGE difference... and I'm not sure what to do with this? Which is truly closer to accurate... and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

At the gym on the elliptical I have had calorie burns like that according to the machine with a HRM for the same time period... but probably working "harder" and yet... I have to wonder if the 323 is too low because truly, I felt like I was working harder than that.

I am wanting to know mostly so I can not starve myself, make sure I'm fueling properly etc. I'm going to a Zumba class tonight and I am going to use the HRM then and also see what it says.

Thoughts? Anyone? Thank you in advance... I greatly appreciate it!

Replies

• GamerLady
    GamerLady Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I would go by what the HRM says.
  • Sethswife316
    Sethswife316 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm curious to see answers to this too. My HRM always says 400+ for cardio workouts when I see others posting the same duration and 200+ calories burned. I only have 15 pounds or so to lose (maybe even less) so I would think it would be much lower.
  • GamerLady
    GamerLady Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I'm curious to see answers to this too. My HRM always says 400+ for cardio workouts when I see others posting the same duration and 200+ calories burned. I only have 15 pounds or so to lose (maybe even less) so I would think it would be much lower.

It will be different for each person, depending on height/weight.
  • BigBigBertha
    BigBigBertha Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I'd go with the HRM, the number it comes up with is based on more information specific to you.
  • rsellersCST
    rsellersCST Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Thanks ALL!

Mind you... my husband has said the same thing... when he started using his HRM while jogging... it said WAY higher burns than what his app was saying as well... and he goes by that.

I guess I just get skeptical!

Sure... I'd love to think that I'm burning that... but with that in mind I need to make sure I'm eating enough to not starve myself.

I may have to play around with this a bit and see what happens. I know others that really go by their HRM... I guess I just get nervous. Still fairly new to using this stuff, so trying to pace myself with adjustments.
  • Scubasab
    Scubasab Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I have a POLAR FT7 with the chest strap. I love it!! I have had it now for 2 years and I use it for all of my activities including my pool workouts and snorkeling as it is also waterproof. Prior to the HRM I used MFP when I started logging my activities based on the HRM they were a lot higher. I use my HRM for my calories burned but, everyone has a different opinion. Enjoy!!!