BMF vs Fitbit TDEE - why so different?

Options
jaz050465
jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
I have started wearing both at the same time. There is about a 400 calorie difference. I have only done walking activity. BMF is supposed to be more accurate but surely then Fitbit can't be THAT inaccurate?????

I have decided to decrease my deficit as I am not losing weight on a higher deficit ( I don't have much to lose) but this difference is freaking me out. Has anyone else done comparisons.

Replies

• DoxieLove10612
    DoxieLove10612 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    You should be able to compare the steps counted, that's a huge part of calorie estimate for daily activity, steps and weight.
    Pace is calculated from the movement, so different locations of the devices could make it appear those are big stride steps or small, meaning fast or slow pace. And that means different calorie burns even if the steps are the same.

The rest of the day should be about equal. Both use the Harris BMR as basis, with BMF adjusting for night time temps in case BMR is slower or higher.

You should also be able to go through the day's timeline and see for instance, this much burned sleeping. This much sitting at work. This much for the 1 hr walk.

Where the difference is coming from may help pinpoint what is confusing one or the other.
  • marcdl53
    marcdl53 Posts: 1
    Options
    I always wondered that. On a side note I've been using BMF for the past month +. I've found it very helpful in my weight-loss and really put into perspective the necessity of paying attention to your calorie deficit.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Like above poster said, what is step count?
  • kluedesigns
    kluedesigns Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    i did a side by side comparison of 2 Fitbits (hubby & i each had one) set up with all my personal data, a Polar HRM FT40, and a BMF Link.

the most accurate was the BMF Link, then the Polar HRM FT40, and then the 2 Fitbits.

the Polar HRM FT40 was only slightly inaccurate and mainly when doing activities when the heart rate isn't very elevated like walking, yoga, pilates, etc.

the two Fitibits were very inaccurate and they didn't even agree with each other as far as data goes. i wore both hiking for 3 hours and they differed by up to 25% of each other.

I actually had many back & forth conversations with Fitbit and they could never resolve the problem and issued me a refund on both Fitbit and both premium service accounts.

Fitbit stance was - "they do not certify the accuracy of their product to any extent. It is meant to be a motivational tool only"

i love my BFM Link and very rarely wear my Polar HRM any longer (i loved my Polar HRM until i got the BMF).
  • f8thwks
    f8thwks Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Yes... I noticed the differences, also... I ordered the Fitbit device last year and I was totally not satisfied... I packed up back in its original package and sent it back....:smile:
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    The FitBit is a glorified pedometer, of course it's not going to be accurate. I ditched mine for a BMF and never looked back.
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    bump....interesting since i think they both are inaccurate!
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    The FitBit is a glorified pedometer, of course it's not going to be accurate. I ditched mine for a BMF and never looked back.

you say this but it has accelerometer as well as an altimeter. It's going to be pretty darn accurate.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    If you find it accurate, good for you. Neither of those things guarantees it will be accurate, evidenced by the fact there are people in this very thread who found it not to be, me included. Heck, just above you there's someone that says both are inaccurate...

These devices work for some, and not for others. Whatever works for you. In my personal experience it was awfully inaccurate. To you it doesn't seem so. It doesn't mean the device is entirely worthless, it just means it doesn't serve everyone in the capacity they expect.
  • jaz050465
    Options
    You should be able to compare the steps counted, that's a huge part of calorie estimate for daily activity, steps and weight.
    Pace is calculated from the movement, so different locations of the devices could make it appear those are big stride steps or small, meaning fast or slow pace. And that means different calorie burns even if the steps are the same.

The rest of the day should be about equal. Both use the Harris BMR as basis, with BMF adjusting for night time temps in case BMR is slower or higher.

You should also be able to go through the day's timeline and see for instance, this much burned sleeping. This much sitting at work. This much for the 1 hr walk.

Where the difference is coming from may help pinpoint what is confusing one or the other.

Don't think fit but allows me to isolate Calirie burn at different times of day- does it? Or am I missing something.
  • heybales
    Options
    Don't think fit but allows me to isolate Calirie burn at different times of day- does it? Or am I missing something.

Bummer, just checked their website, it appears to be listed under premium now.

I remember ones in the past supplying reports of time and calories, and levels of intensity and time. I guess no more.
  • jaz050465
    Options
    ah ok.

I have after getting no weight loss with a higher deficit, decided to decrease it to 250 as I have so little to use. But I'm now thinking, if BMF is the in acurate one, that will mean I won't have a deficit at all.

I can't believe this weight loss is so difficult. How to I know what to do. I'm SO FRUSTRATED.
  • heybales
    Options
    ah ok.

I have after getting no weight loss with a higher deficit, decided to decrease it to 250 as I have so little to use. But I'm now thinking, if BMF is the in acurate one, that will mean I won't have a deficit at all.

I can't believe this weight loss is so difficult. How to I know what to do. I'm SO FRUSTRATED.

Well, when close to goal weight that is healthy for your body, you do have less margin for error in doing it wrong and still getting results.

You've done high enough for long enough to know your metabolism wasn't getting better? Like you ate more and no loss? And now you ate less and no loss, so now you are going to eat even less and ......
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    the most accurate was the BMF Link, then the Polar HRM FT40, and then the 2 Fitbits.

How do you know which is the most "accurate"? I mean, unless you are also hooked up an indirect calorimetry device to measure oxygen/co2, how can you possibly determine which among these three is most accurate?

Even if you were basing it on projected TDEE / calorie intake to determine which device most accurately predicted weight loss, unless your food was laboratory tested, you cannot be certain of the calorie accuracy there either.

What I'm saying is that all the devices are merely *estimating* calorie burn using different data and calculations, so what makes you think one is more accurate than the others?
  • jaz050465
    Options
    ah ok.

Well, when close to goal weight that is healthy for your body, you do have less margin for error in doing it wrong and still getting results.

You've done high enough for long enough to know your metabolism wasn't getting better? Like you ate more and no loss? And now you ate less and no loss, so now you are going to eat even less and ......

Sorry dont understand. Wha are you suggesting?
  • jaz050465
    Options

How do you know which is the most "accurate"? I mean, unless you are also hooked up an indirect calorimetry device to measure oxygen/co2, how can you possibly determine which among these three is most accurate?

Even if you were basing it on projected TDEE / calorie intake to determine which device most accurately predicted weight loss, unless your food was laboratory tested, you cannot be certain of the calorie accuracy there either.

What I'm saying is that all the devices are merely *estimating* calorie burn using different data and calculations, so what makes you think one is more accurate than the others?

So what do I do?????
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    So what do I do?????

In my opinion? Pick the device you prefer wearing and use it as a motivator. For me, the BMF and Fitbit gave nearly exactly the same TDEE but I LOVE wearing the fitbit and hate wearing an armband (I basically hate every single thing about the BMF). I wear the fitbit to motivate me to move more.

As for how to estimate your TDEE, track your calories like a scientist. Weigh everything you can. Log every bite. Subtract 250 from the preferred device's weekly average and make that your daily goal. If you don't lose your half pound a week after a few weeks, play around more. Clean up your diet, decrease cals by another 100.

It's unfortunately an experiment in trial and error and estimation. Every device is only an estimate, as are the nutrition labels on your food. Then take into account the fact that your body isn't a simple machine, but a complex one that varies based on hormones and factors like water retention, and it's hard to pin it down to exact numbers. The best advice I can give is to track your food as accurately as you can. It's my personal experience that when I did not lose weight, it had nothing to do with the numbers all this technology was giving me and everything to do with what I was putting in my mouth.
  • heybales
    Options

Sorry dont understand. Wha are you suggesting?

You were eating at a lower number it sounds like and didn't lose weight.

You ate at a higher number and neither lost nor gained weight either, not sure for how long you waited to actually see results.

Were you really eating at your TDEE at higher number? Or was metabolism still suppressed like it was at lower number where you also didn't lose weight?

Or was there room to move up actually to even higher value and not gain weight?

How much deficit are you trying to take?
    Less to lose should be smaller deficit.
    10% at this point if body gets stressed too easily.
  • kluedesigns
    kluedesigns Posts: 72 Member
    Options

i routinely have my VO2 Max measured in the lab and is considered extremely accurate and this provides me with an excellent ballpark of my calorie burn which i then compared to the devices i had.

as some others previously stated, use what works for you but for me the most accurate was BMF for the activities i enjoy doing.