Craving Egg Rolls??

Options
DebbieLyn63
DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
I love Chinese food, and have safely had it a few times in the past 7 months. Panda Express has their calorie counts listed and offer mixed veggies instead of rice, so I like going there. But I pass on the egg rolls, because they add too many cals to my lunch.

But I really miss Egg rolls. But they can have 150-200 or more calories a piece!

I recently went to a Korean market in my area and discovered some Soy Wrappers, that were only 15 calories for 2 wrappers. I thought they would be great for making egg rolls, so I gave them a try. I used leftover pork loin, and some packaged cole slaw mix, added some dressings to season, and in less than 10 minutes had some great egg rolls that fit well into my food plan.

57bca5e6-54e6-4826-a188-49b02a77bac6_zps273b6ff4.jpg
19a73796-3043-4ea2-a55d-bba1d0a63631_zps188a3a1a.jpg

The wrappers can tear easily when wet, so work quickly, but very gently. The first one I tried to fold up like an envelope like traditional rolls are, but the wrapper tore a bit, so then I just stuck with just rolling them up and tucking the filling in on the sides.

Here is the full recipe-

2 oz Lean cooked pork. Great for using leftovers. Can also use chicken, beef, or other meat.
Yamamotoyama Sushi Party - Soy Wrappers- 4 wrappers, any flavor. I found these at a Korean market.
2 cups Fresh Express shredded Tri color cole slaw mix (without dressing)
1 TBSP Archer Farms Fat Free Ginger Sesame Dressing
1 TBSP Maple Grove Farms of Vermont - Fat Free Balsamic Vinaigrette Dressing

Finely dice up cooked pork. Great for using leftovers. Can sub Chicken, Beef or any meat.
In a microwave safe bowl, add all ingredients, plus 1 TBSP water. Microwave covered for 3 minutes, stirring after each minute, until cabbage is soft.
You can also stir fry in a skillet. If using oil for stir fry, no need to add water. Add calories for oil.
Split filling into 4, and place each onto one soy wrapper, starting at narrow end, carefully rolling up while compressing filling. Wrappers can tear easily when wet, so handle gently.
Place on metal sheet and broil under oven broiler for one minute or so, until slightly crispy and starting to brown. Turn over and repeat on other side. Watch carefully so that you don't burn them.

Ready to eat! Makes 4 egg rolls, for appetizers to share, or have all four for a great low cal lunch!
You can add additional seasonings if you like your rolls a bit spicier or saltier. I like the mild flavor with the dressings listed, but next batch I might add a little pepper.

Totals for: 1 egg roll for all 4 egg rolls
Calories-......49 ....................196
Carbs-.......... 4 .......................15
Fat-............... 2 ........................ 6
Protein-......... 6 ........................22
Fiber-.............1..........................3
Sugar.............1..........................4

The sugar and 6 carbs, come from the dressings, so you could omit the dressings and just use seasonings and oil or water to eliminate the sugar and those carbs, or use a different dressing that fits your macros.

The wrappers make rolls more like lumpia, so if you want a thicker outside, you can double the sheets. You might also try brushing with egg whites before broiling, for a crispier crust. I might try that next time.

The wrappers are Soy. but gluten free. They come in 5 different flavors and colors. 10 sheets in a package. All are good.
Enjoy! :drinker:

9b8bf7b9-ccea-4352-a0fb-36bd9fd2e714_zpsa9a2b1f1.jpg

Replies

• annepage
    annepage Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    WONDERFUL!!!!! Thanks for sharing! I've tried making 'baked egg rolls' a few times and they never come out crispy (I know I could add more oil to the outside-but I'd prefer none at all). Just kind of dry and chewy. Going to look into these wrappers.
  • Daysednconfused
    Daysednconfused Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I eat spring rolls instead of egg rolls b/c they have much less calories. Chungs, the kind that I buy are 100 calories each. I am actually heating my spring rolls as I type! These are 1/2 that, and no major sodium, so you just sold me on these! I will definitely try these! Thanks, Deb!
  • MSam1205
    MSam1205 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Bump. Almost broke down and got some for lunch yesterday, but stayed true...... Any reason why soy wrappers vs regular egg roll wrappers? or are they all soy? sorry if this is a dumb question......
  • gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    mmm! sound's delicious!
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options
    WONDERFUL!!!!! Thanks for sharing! I've tried making 'baked egg rolls' a few times and they never come out crispy (I know I could add more oil to the outside-but I'd prefer none at all). Just kind of dry and chewy. Going to look into these wrappers.

These are not super crispy, but aren't dry and chewy either. Tender outside. I might try brushing with a little egg white before baking next time, so see if they crisp even more.
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options
    Bump. Almost broke down and got some for lunch yesterday, but stayed true...... Any reason why soy wrappers vs regular egg roll wrappers? or are they all soy? sorry if this is a dumb question......

The soy wrappers are much lower in carbs and calories than regular won ton wrappers, and are also gluten free. So if you are low carbing and gluten free, they are perfect.

2 wrappers have 15 cals, 2g protein, 1g carb, and .5g fat.

You can also use them for making sushi or other wraps. No need to cook them. They are tender, yet fairly sturdy, altho when they get wet, they get more fragile, so work quickly. Broiling them, dried the moisture out of them, making them easier to handle. but definitely not tough like reg egg rolls wrappers.
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    emilybites.com has buffalo chicken eggroll that is yummy and crunchy
  • DenverGirl93
    DenverGirl93 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    awwww thank you!
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options
    I eat spring rolls instead of egg rolls b/c they have much less calories. Chungs, the kind that I buy are 100 calories each. I am actually heating my spring rolls as I type! These are 1/2 that, and no major sodium, so you just sold me on these! I will definitely try these! Thanks, Deb!

Sodium count for all 4 rolls is only 368 grams, which came from the dressings.
  • OneEyeUp
    OneEyeUp Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I can't stop craving egg rolls. So when I get the craving, I make sure to hit the gym later that night.
  • charovnitza
    charovnitza Posts: 689
    Options
    These look great. Now to find the wrappers! :happy:
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I love egg rolls! I just mix up the egg roll filling and eat that - no wrap -
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    BUMPPPP
  • mindygeske
    mindygeske Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I love Chinese food, and have safely had it a few times in the past 7 months.

How does one safely eat Chinese food?

Do you wear a helmet?

Do you perhaps study Chinese culture in order to not offend others at the restaurant?

I'm only wondering because apparently I've been having Chinese food dangerously for 29 years.

PS: Thanks for the recipe. Egg rolls are bomb.
  • branson101
    branson101 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I chose to go with spring rolls. I saw on a cooking show that egg rolls as we know them aren't served in Asian cultures. They serve spring rolls and the egg rolls that we know are the result of American insistance on super sizing. I think it was on Cooking Channel, so if the info is wrong blame them not me. ;)
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    bump, these definitely look worth a try!
  • chrst793
    chrst793 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    mmm mmm mmm those sound good and easy, bump for sure
  • trent1213
    trent1213 Posts: 10
    Options
    bump