Desk Job

Options
Ok I seat at a desk for 16 hours 2 days out of the week. anyone has any ideas on what I can do while seating? I really can't leave my area because of the type of work I do. So is their something I can do that will be helpful but not all sweaty???

Replies

• micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    If you can move around your area you can do push-ups, dips, squats, lunges, jumping jacks, etc. Bring some free weights and you have tons of options. You may feel silly and your co-workers may think you are crazy, but you always have options.
  • HomegirlDee
    HomegirlDee Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I did bring some weights to work, i was just hoping for something less sillier...lol
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Less silly I can't help too much with. Sillier, though, I've got that covered: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/health/workout-at-work/ (They're actually rated by difficulty, sweatiness, and humiliation factor.)
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Ok I seat at a desk for 16 hours 2 days out of the week. anyone has any ideas on what I can do while seating? I really can't leave my area because of the type of work I do. So is their something I can do that will be helpful but not all sweaty???

Yes, go to the gym and workout on your off time and don't worry about getting a good burn in while your at the office.
  • jennamt87
    jennamt87 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I also have a desk job and do these minor things that really do add up and help me feel better!
    1. Take the stairs as opposed to elevator whenever possible.
    2. Use a restroom on a different floor, or further down the hall, or whatever.
    3. Stand up and walk around, or at least stand up for 5 minutes every hour. Just to stretch your legs!
    4. Sit on the edge of your seat and keep your back straight, with feet flat on the floor. Helps tone your core!
    5. And here is a link to desk stretches from Web MD.
    http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/features/stretching-exercises-at-your-desk-12-simple-tips

Truly, the possibilities for squeezing in some fitness are endless if you look for them and don't mind being creative!
  • firstloveyourself
    firstloveyourself Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I too work a desk job, and I tend to fidget a lot. Wiggle your legs, bounce in your chair, anything to keep you moving. It's no CrossFit, but it burns calories.
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job but am able to get up and move around through the day. I always print to another printer in another office so I have to get up and go get it. I also try to do squats through out the day. I walk a couple miles before work at 5:30am to walking dvd at home and then try to walk another mile or two on my lunch hour if I can. I do workout after work 3-5 times a week and try to hit the gym at least once on the weekends too. If only for 30 minutes of cardio it is better than nothing.
    Good luck!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    There are things you can do such as wearing ankle weights, which not only add more resistance when walking around the office, but when doing chair leg lifts - straighten your legs and hold while seated, or alternate straightening each leg. After lifting, move the leg out and back in. Alternate lifting legs while still bent and holding (good for the abs too).

Put your hands palm up under your desk and lift. Put your hands palm down on your desk and push. Put your hands on your chair arm rests and lift as much or your body weight as you can. Sit with your lower body as immobile as possible and lean side to side (should feel this in your abs - but it might look silly).

Every time you go to the ladies room, do 10 squats before exiting the stall.
  • dahkneeka
    dahkneeka Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I have the luxury of using the washroom whenever I like. So.. I drink a ton of water, use the washroom once an hour or so and pop out as many squats as I can until my legs burn.

Sitting on the edge of your chair is great for posture.. but, even better would be an exercise ball!

For calves, plant feet flat on the floor and lift heels ... up and down... even better if you can get ankle weights!
  • CMGoodie
    CMGoodie Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Get a stability ball, some resistance bands and there you go, a complete gym at your desk.

The stability ball you can use as a chair. Stability bands, you can place both feet or roll the ball on them and do curl-ups, sitting shoulder presses, tricep pull-ups.

You can buy resistance loops (they are like large wide rubber bands) wrap them around your thighs and do adductions. If you get a moment to stand up or have a filing room, your ankles and do kick backs.

The stability ball without bands is great, especially if you have a killer radio station you listen too. I find myself moving more on my stability ball than I do on my chair. It's great to keep posture awareness, keeps you moving and awesome for stretching. And if you're like me who has a nice high desk, I can squeeze in a few crunches without going anywere.
  • JessicaOnKeto
    JessicaOnKeto Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Bumping...
    Since I'm at my deskjob now, and most of the time (9 hour shifts, 5 days a week)... and I'm here on MFP very often checking up on various things.
    Doing the calf exercise now, and the pushing with my palms up and down on my desk! Thank you very much for these little exercises! :drinker:
  • bonniecarbs
    bonniecarbs Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    when i was working I had some small hand weights, i'd do my arms and waist exercises while sitting with the weights. I'd do leg lifts, one leg at a time. it burned. i'd do those right before I ate my lunch, 15 minutes on my sets and 15 minutes to eat. I didnt give a crap if anybody saw me, anybody would have sense enough to know that sitting at a desk requires you to give yourself some kind of circulation.
  • JTS_go
    JTS_go Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Wow. That is a loooon shift. I built a two-tiered shelf to make my desk into a standing desk, but I wouldn't want to stand at it for 16 hours. I sometimes use a J/Fit balance disk at my desk while I'm standing here to give my core a little extra something to do. I think you're just going to have to master the art of knowing when no one is going to be coming around and go for the squats and desk push-ups and stretches.
  • JTS_go
    JTS_go Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    ***loooon_g_
  • TheDarlingOne
    TheDarlingOne Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I feel ya pain/difficulty with this situation - I work 3 days a week, 14 hours a day - at an answering service. The ONLY thing that I have found that I can agree to, and keep up with....is.....exercising when I'm at home on off days.
    Sitting here 14 hours - I sure don't want to anything before my shift starts (I work 8a-10p, leave house @ 7a to get here on time-and some of my 14 hour days are back to back days).....and when I'm here working, i do get to break up my breaks however i want....but when I do go on my "am break" and my "pm break" (about 15min each time) i sure don't feel like taking a stroll around the building. i feel like standing infront of the tv and going mindlessly into the world of TLC reality tv haha.

So - I found what worked for me - on my off days - is when I have to move.
    But I try to make it random, "i'm moving but i don't realize i'm moving things" - like i'm off work tomorrow, so I'll be counting every tree physically by putting my hand on it - in my yard - and i have about an acre - and i live in "the sticks" - so that'll keep me busy and moving for a bit lol

keep us posted friend! :)
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    I do leg lifts under my desk, I hold them out for a few seconds, tightening my abs, and then start lifting each one. I also cross my arms infront of me and slightly twist side to side a few times a day, again tightening my abs. then I hold my arms out and do small circles until I feel a slight burn in my shoulders....then I do large circles. I stretch every time I go to the bathroom.
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Well if losing calories is the main focus, then chew on a sugar free gum and fidget ... as silly as it sounds, tapping your foot or hands with a certain tempo burns through calories and next thing you know - you can have that portion of food!
  • lizziebeth1028
    Options
    Well if losing calories is the main focus, then chew on a sugar free gum and fidget ... as silly as it sounds, tapping your foot or hands with a certain tempo burns through calories and next thing you know - you can have that portion of food!

:noway:
  • lizziebeth1028
    Options

What's the estimated calorie burn on that?
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I fidget all day, but I haven't lost any weight.