need some help or advice....something! please :)

Options
Ok, so I am recovering from an eating disorder. Im 5'9 and unfortunately 89 pounds. I have just recently started eating 1800 cals a day. My issue is this.... I dont get that hungry during the day (when im the most active) but then by night time im so behind on calories and I absolutely hate tryin to cram in tons of calories after dinner. I am trying to gain weight in a slower pace to where the weight that i gain will be gained in muscle... I am an avid exerciser....always have been.... I used to want to compete until i became trapped in an eating disorder. so.... long story short... i just need some advice, help, whatever anyone can offer me! please :)

Replies

• stephanie1133
    Options
    Aside from suggesting you seek professional help, like perhaps a dietitian?? Dr??

The only other advice I can think of is eating on a schedule so you don't have this mound of food to consume at the end of the day. If you don't like to eat a lot at once, try to eat more calorie dense food (nuts, nut butters, add some oil to the pan before you cook).

Best of luck to you!
  • Seminolegirl97
    Seminolegirl97 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Other than seeking help from a professional, maybe set a timer during the day to remind yourself to eat. Full meals and snacks. Find something you love to eat.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    You could try eating things with more calories in them like nuts and such.
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Other than seeking help from a professional, maybe set a timer during the day to remind yourself to eat. Full meals and snacks. Find something you love to eat.

This^ And being that you are recovering for an Eating Disorder, is it wise to join a calorie counting site? If your joining for support, etc that is fantastic. Just try not to get freaked out by the numbers to the point where it might derail your success in recovering.

Good luck and all the best!
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't stress too much about what time of day you are eating. I do not have an eating disorder, but was very sick
    with a parasitic infection several years ago and just never felt like eating. If I had felt like eating at midnight, I would've
    just eaten. I'd say just try to eat things you know are healthier for you, like nuts, yogurt, string cheese, etc... instead of
    just junk food.
  • henriettevanittersum
    henriettevanittersum Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't stress too much about what time of day you are eating. I do not have an eating disorder, but was very sick
    with a parasitic infection several years ago and just never felt like eating. If I had felt like eating at midnight, I would've
    just eaten. I'd say just try to eat things you know are healthier for you, like nuts, yogurt, string cheese, etc... instead of
    just junk food.

String cheese IS junk food....

On topic: find yourself a good nutritionist or dietician to help you out in a healthy way.
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    You could try eating things with more calories in them like nuts and such.

This and seeds, full fat yogurts and milk, coconut milk, fattier cuts of meats (though don't go overboard), starchy veggies such as sweet potatoes and turnips, use olive oil in salads and coconut oil for cooking.
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to gain weight 1800 is still a little low but I am recovered anorexic so understand it's hard to suddenly up the intake, just bear in mind that in the future it might be best to up the intake a little.

Use full fat milk, butter not margarine, eat nuts as a snack, plenty of eggs, oily fish like mackerel and salmon, full fat greek yogurt with topping of your choice, thick sliced bread, soups and smoothies if you dont feel much like eating, eat cheese!

If it's all a bit overwhelming try adding one item at a time, like full fat milk this week and if in a week or so you're ok with that add another higher calorie food in like the butter etc.

Add me if you like, I'm 3 years recovered now x
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    just junk food.

On topic: find yourself a good nutritionist or dietician to help you out in a healthy way.

Whatever, string cheese is a good source of protein and calcium and low fat.
  • bluebear_74
    bluebear_74 Posts: 179
    Options
    Try using full fat versions of food (i.e milk, cheese, yoghurt). There's also shakes for weight gain, one of my coworkers gives them to her daughter because she's underweight.
  • tasson
    tasson Posts: 37
    Options
    Eat 5-6 times a day. Make three meals around 400 cals each and the three snacks around 200 cals each. You are no different than me who consumes too many calories and needs to lose weight. I eat too much, so I put myself on a schedule. I eat breakfast at 6:00 am, a snack around 10:00, lunch at 1:00, and a snack at 4:00 and dinner with my family: three meals around 300 cals and two snacks around 100.
  • Ronnigurl2
    Ronnigurl2 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    SHIVLES, I think you are probably the best one to advise since you are had and recovered from anorexia. Congrats on your success and your paying it forward. :smile:
  • Ronnigurl2
    Ronnigurl2 Posts: 10 Member
    Options

[/quote]

Whatever, string cheese is a good source of protein and calcium and low fat.
    [/quote]

String cheese was part of an eating plan (a snack) presented to me by a nutritionist. It is a good source... (Yeah, what she said.)
  • tasson
    tasson Posts: 37
    Options
    SHIVLES, I think you are probably the best one to advise since you are had and recovered from anorexia. Congrats on your success and your paying it forward. :smile:

Very true. It seems like the same issue, but perhaps psychology behind the two differ greatly. :smile:
  • SlimSumday
    SlimSumday Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Setting a timer is a good idea.
  • KickingButt
    KickingButt Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    thank you everyone! so much!
    keep an eye out for more updates from me :P
    im always askin questions or curious about something!