People with no gallbladder

Options
2»

Replies

• DeMarraDontStop
    DeMarraDontStop Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Its been a little over a tear for me, no issues!
  • jesscox2003
    jesscox2003 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    i had my gallbladder removed in 2009, and i have noticed that the fattier the food, the more likely i am to have problems... for awhile it was an everyday experience. it has eased up. for me stress, soda, and greasy foods make my body act crazy... after awhile u will find what works for u, and what doesnt. good luck :)
  • ninakir88
    ninakir88 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses. I had severe issues getting my gallbladder out, it took 3 gallstone procedures and 2 weeks in the hospital to finally get my gallbladder out, so I am also a little bit on an extreme case.

I try to keep my fat intake low, but I notice that even when I do that I still feel very bloated at night.. it's not a good feeling! Are there any capsules I can take or something that aids digestion for people with no gallbladder?

Thanks guys!
  • gazelleintraining
    Options
    Are there any capsules I can take or something that aids digestion for people with no gallbladder?

All-Zyme tablets from Vermont Laboratories are amazing. They make you feel, dare I say, "normal!" :)
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Are there any capsules I can take or something that aids digestion for people with no gallbladder?

All-Zyme tablets from Vermont Laboratories are amazing. They make you feel, dare I say, "normal!" :)

I am a Reg. Dietitian and I work with lots of people dealing with these digestive issues after having a cholecystectomy. I recommend a mixed digestive enzyme (protease, lipase, amylase) and probiotic supplement that you would take with each meal, called- Digest Gold by Enzymedica. I has worked well for many of my patients and i take it as well.
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I can't eat beef anymore at all. If I take a bite bigger than 1/4 of an inch I get horrible heartburn and nausea for hours. Every once in a while I'll have phantom gallbladder pains , but nothing I can't manage. High fat foods do bring on the pain, but is nowhere near the severity of the actual gallbladder attacks. I take Hyoscyamine also which helps too.
  • JennKoz529
    JennKoz529 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I had my gallbladder removed in 2007. Since then, the first meal of the day, no matter what I eat, runs right through me. It wasn't a certain food but it was just food in general. Sometimes it was even water! I went to the doctor's for it and they told me I have IBS, gave me some kind of medication to calm my system down, and told me to use a fiber suppliment. The fiber suppliment made it worse. I was so bloated I could hardly walk! The medication didn't work that well, and I don't want to be on something for the rest of my life unless it is absolutely neccessary! I've found that since I've been watching what I eat, and since I have been drinking a ton of water, it has gotten better.
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    ANything that can be converted to fat can upset your lack of gall. Too much sugar in a meal that is surplus to what you need - will be turned to fat. Same with protein but not as quickly as sugar.
  • MyProgressISYour1Proof
    Options
    My removal back in 2007 was caused, in my opinion, by raw tomatoes. I never eat them and had a salad where they were in them. Was in the Er that night December 11, 2006. Here comes the wednesday before easter and I'm laying on the ground in agonizing pain. Rushed to the ER and didn't have the removal until the Monday after easter. I wasn't allowed to eat or anything until like that tuesday. They said no fatty food but I didn't listen....sent me to liver issues which ultimately led to my weightloss journey and me at my heaviest of 346.4.....
  • cp035
    cp035 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I do have a problem when I skip a meal though. The next meal tends to run right through me. That's why I always have to eat something as soon as I wake up and make sure not to skip dinner.

Oh, yes. Forgot about this. This ALWAYS happens if I skip meals. Found this out on my honeymoon in the south of France during a national holiday when everything was closed, unfortunately (lol). Always carry something to bind the excess bile that builds up between meals, or the next one will run right through you very urgently. I carry a 100-calorie pack of almonds (nuts are great to soak up extra bile) or cookies (not healthy, but have fat to bind the bile when stuck in a bind without food available).

I have to say this is the ONLY thing that I experienced after my gall bladder removal. I got mine out in early 1999. Other than that, no other foods trigger bloating or cramps. I make sure not to skip any meals even if it's a quick snack or I know what's gonna happen! lol
  • researchgirl82
    researchgirl82 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Give yourself some time. It took me close to two years before I could eat cheese, red meat and high fat nuts like cashews! I'm nine years post-op and consider it a blessing in disguise. At 21, I wasn't looking at nutrition labels because I didn't have to nor did I care. But it forced a real lifestyle change! Be patient.
  • wtw0n
    wtw0n Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Mine was removed a little over four months ago. I didn't have problems with certain (kinds of) foods before the surgery - or after.
  • Mimisam45
    Mimisam45 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I had my gall bladder removed approximately 5 years ago and have never noticed any difference in the foods that I can eat. There is no food that I can't eat. I did notice an obvious difference in how I felt overall after cutting all processed foods and wheat. . . . . might be well worth a try!

:happy:
  • SWilcox818
    SWilcox818 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    The ONLY food that has given me any issues since having my gallbladder removed in 2009 is sadly, bacon. Even a small amount in a sandwich is enough to send me to the bathroom in short order. Turkey bacon is OK thankfully, but it's not quite the same. My mom who had her gallbladder out years before me has had a similar problem with bacon, but she has problems with some other foods if they are too greasy or fatty. Very strange.