Deck of Cards workout

Options
HOSED49
HOSED49 Posts: 665 Member
Take an ordinary set of playing cards to include the jokers.
Hearts- Pushups
Diamonds-Pull-ups
Clubs- Squats
Spades- Sit-ups

All face cards (J,Q,K) are ten reps, Aces are eleven reps, every other card is face value except for the joker who is your friendly one mile run.
So start drawing your cards and perform the exercise prescribed for that card 9 of hearts= 9 pushups, next card Jack of Clubs=10 squats etc.....until you are through the deck of cards. This is from a crossfit workout, modify it however you want as far as exercises and what equipment you have available to do. When you draw the joker, run your mile, come back to the cards and continue on. If you are doing this with more than one person, make sure you have enough cardio equipment/pullup bars to accomodate everyone, otherwise adapt and overcome! Have fun with this one and good luck!

Replies

• sweetrevenge
    sweetrevenge Posts: 188
    Options
    Nice!! I like it!! Can't wait to do this. Thanks!
  • HealthyKt78
    HealthyKt78 Posts: 439
    Options
    bump.
  • taalibahdenise
    Options
    Very creative: Any alternatives to pull-ups? I don't have gym access.
  • shellshalla
    shellshalla Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    bump
  • RushinBruisette
    RushinBruisette Posts: 2,109 Member
    Options
    Ohh how fun!! I'd have to modify it a tad, but fun!!! Thanks!
  • TonyaR
    TonyaR Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels showed a way to do pull ups at home on Rachael Ray....put 2 dining chairs about 3 ft apart and then place your boom handle between the chairs. Lie on your back under the broom handle and use it as your pull up bar!
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Try jumping jacks instead, or lunges.
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    That's a great idea.
    I think I might change pull-ups to running minutes on the treadmill or elliptical.
  • mommamills
    mommamills Posts: 437
    Options
    super fun! thanks!!!! love the idea from Jillian about pull ups at home. My door jams aren't all that fantastic so I couldn't even get one of those you do it the door but this......I can do. Thanks again!
  • KristyO
    KristyO Posts: 126
    Options
    thanks for sharing, I will definitely try this with my boyfriend!
  • ChancyW
    ChancyW Posts: 437 Member
    Options

They have pull up bars at Walmart for $10-15 and you install them in a door way! I use mine all of the time and love it!
  • amtrust
    amtrust Posts: 178
    Options
    What a unique way for a workout! Love it!
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    This workout rocks!! I do it when I travel, inthe gym at the hotel if they have soI have access to equipment if not I do it in the room....FYI you can make up your own routine with this one...i've done it for every heart (upper body) bicep curls, diamond (tricep kickbacks or dips..club, squat spade lunge....you can change this everytime you dot it, hitting different body parts, I even throw in the jokers and if they pop up it's burpees..add in a little cardio! very versatile workout! love the post!
  • johnjely
    johnjely Posts: 99
    Options

Try dips, or what some call "reverse push ups." Begin on your bum, with your legs bent at the knee. Place yours arms behind you, hands on the floor with your fingertips pointing towards your legs. Raise up, and then lower yourself. Here's a link with a picture similar to what I'm talking about, except you'd have bent knees. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/health/fitness/exercises/reverse-plank.html

This is a GREAT idea, too! Thanks!
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options

Try dips, or what some call "reverse push ups." Begin on your bum, with your legs bent at the knee. Place yours arms behind you, hands on the floor with your fingertips pointing towards your legs. Raise up, and then lower yourself. Here's a link with a picture similar to what I'm talking about, except you'd have bent knees. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/health/fitness/exercises/reverse-plank.html

This is a GREAT idea, too! Thanks!

that's only hitting your triceps though the point of the pull up is that it's hitting mainly back and bicep. Or specifically the sternal portion of the pectoralis major, latissimus dorsi, teres major, posterior deltoid, the rhomboids, the middle and lower portions of the trapezius, and the elbow flexors. It also depends on if you're doing chin ups, pull ups or lat pull ups as well as the core. the tricep dips are just that your triceps, different muscle group all together....try to rig something up to immitate the pullup, there was a suggestion here about doing the australian pullup, with the two chairs and the broom stick, that was a really fantastic idea, and you'll be getting the same results..and you'll be shocked at how hard those babies are!
  • Mande_G
    Mande_G Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • shazzannon
    shazzannon Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Dreaj79
    Dreaj79 Posts: 212
    Options
    bump :bigsmile:
  • SammyLynn010
    SammyLynn010 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Wish I had the stuff to do this! Maybe I'll find a way to modify it for me! Thanks for sharing! Awesome!
  • WrenLynn
    WrenLynn Posts: 213
    Options
    Bump!