Ankles rolling while running...

Options
My best friend is moving into my complex tomorrow. Starting next saturday she wants to start running with me. My friend is 4'11 and weighs 90 lbs soaking wet I'm 5'6 and 250ish lbs She can run for 2-4 miles with out getting tired. I run for a minute or so straight and I'm dying. I can't stand running on treadmills so I started running in my complex today because it was recommended by my boyfriend, and her boyfriend that I start running first just so when we start running together our obnoxiously judgemental neighbors dont assume that my friend is dragging the "fat girl" along on her run, because they will have seen me running first.

I used Endomondo Sports Tracker and Jogged the .9 mile road that surrounds my complex. I'm new to running technically as I haven't ran since Cheerleading practices in high school. But after football season of my sophomore year they had me going to the fitness center and riding the bike instead of running because I kept rolling my ankles and I couldn't do gymnastics, jumps, stunts, etc properly after the on-sight physical therapist started taping my ankles when they rolled. So my jogging was Walk from complex until the first corner, run to the next corner, walk to the next corner, etc
I ended up rolling my right ankle and in the process did something funky to my knee that I previously injured in a train derailment last February and now my whole right leg from foot to knee feels like I just got hit repeatedly with a baseball bat.

How to I stop my ankles from rolling when I run? Do I need to tape them or brace them or is their some magic runners trick that will fix this?

Replies

• bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Do not push yourself - do what you can manage - what is the point of pushing to keep up with her if you hurt your joints?
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Workout tape. It's magical.
  • Foltz
    Foltz Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Look for a local running store, not just any sporting goods store. hunker down with the right shoe, you could need a more 'stability' style shoe. I'm in Southern California but I know that Roadrunner sports is across the US. thats where I went they give you a full on fitting for your shoes to compensate for ankle roll etc.
  • Amanda0877
    Options
    You probably have fallen arches in your feet. Orthotics will help stabilize them so they don't roll. Custom ones are the best but you have to get them made by a doctor and they can get really expensive, so try some good quality store bought ones. And try sneakers with higher tops. Also the weight loss will help significantly.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Are you using shoes fitted to your gait by a professional?
  • jmyotter
    jmyotter Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Go to a running shoe store....get some good running shoes... I ended up getting some super stability shoes, which help my joints a TON. A good running shoe store will help fit you for proper shoes. There may even be an ankle brace you can wear.

Also, maybe think about doing the elliptical til you lose some of the weight. Extra pressure on joints is exaggerated with more weight. It's weird telling you not to run til you lose some weight, but picking other activities that have less impact on your joints til you have less of you, isn't a bad thing. Try biking with her while she runs...its a win/ win and you can still go for a short run later if you want.

just my two cents.... Way to go and keep at it :)