Is Dairy milk the worst choice for milk?

Options
13»

Replies

• bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I alternate between non-dairy milks and lately have been favoring soymilk because of the protein content. The only problem I have with cow's milk is it sometimes gives me digestion trouble. I do love cultured dairy products, though, and eat an inordinate amount of yogurt, farmer's cheese, etc.

In coffee, nuttin' beats half-and-half. But even that I drink black now because it's just simpler and I've developed a taste for good black coffee.
  • Lisa_Rhodes
    Lisa_Rhodes Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, I'm lactose intolerant, which sucks bc I LOVE dairy (I still eat cheese and yogurt w/o much issues... milk and ice cream, forget it). I love dairy too much to not be able to drink it, so Thank God for Lactaid. The whole milk is too creamy tasting... reminds me of Half n half. 1% and 2% work just perfectly for me :)
  • psych0kitty
    psych0kitty Posts: 313
    Options
    Whole milk for me.

They do all sorts of weird stuff to non-whole milk. I read about it in one of Michael Pollan's books, though I can't remember exactly which one. I think it was "In Defense of Food."

I wish Costco sold Fage total full-fat, but they don't, so for a savings of $2-3 that's the only skim milk product I buy on a regular basis.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I drink raw milk.
    Whole milk that has been lightly pasteurized if I can't get raw.

I avoid soy milk because soy gives me massive muscle cramps. I avoid the nutmilks because they taste like chalky fake stuff. I might give them a shot if I can make my own, either with a vitamix or try it in my juicer.

I drink so little dairy, that I'm going to enjoy that stuff. In fact, right now the last half gallon of raw I purchased is warming on the stove and about to get inoculated with some bacteria so I can preserve it as cheese.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    soy milk will give you man boobs, I'm living proof

So, these things on my chest are man boobs?? They don't look much different than the boobs I had when I drank cow's milk. I mean, they don't have little penises hanging on them or anything.
  • Nefetete
    Nefetete Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Can't stand the taste of dairy milk so thank god for Almond & Coconut milk.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I hate dairy milk with a passion. It makes me gag just trying to swallow it, and it always has. When I was little I was forced to drink it anyway and I'd have to plug my nose and chug while trying not to heave. Awful. My least favourite food.

I like Greek yogurt, and I eat the 0% kind for the calcium, but if I need some in my coffee or in my baking, I stick to unsweetened almond milk, as it's really the only kind I find remotely palatable.
  • 2horsestoride
    2horsestoride Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Can you tell me what brand of non-fat dairy milk has 50% calcium? Everything I look at has 30%, which is why I began using Almond milk, which has 45% Calcium. I need the additional calcium. Thanks.
  • tinydancer4
    tinydancer4 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Haha...another Brit here. Dairy milk means chocolate for us - definitely my favourite source of milk!! :D

To answer the question, I've never really considered this before but may look into switching now. Thanks for the info.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Can you tell me what brand of non-fat dairy milk has 50% calcium? Everything I look at has 30%, which is why I began using Almond milk, which has 45% Calcium. I need the additional calcium. Thanks.

See that's why its always good to check. Few other sites and yes the calcium is more like 32%. This is why it's always good to use calorie counts and the like as an estimate. I bet the milk I found was enriched, and I just didnt notice it.

So I'll go back and correct. Oops cant correct anymore.