The TV commercial break workout

Options
So, you think you don’t have time to do a workout? Take the time you spend watching your favourite show and use the commercials to do your exercises.

Commercial One:
*20 lunges on each leg for 3 sets
*Intersperse each set of lunges with 10 pushups

Commercial Two:
*20 squats for 3 sets
*Interspersed with 30 secs of abdominal planks

Commercial Three:
*10-20 tricep dips off your coffee table for 3
sets
*Interspersed with 20 low back extensions

Commercial Four:
*30 seconds of bicycle legs for 3 sets
*Interspersed with 20 seconds of side abdominal
planks

For an extra challenge, try sitting on a stability ball for the length of your television program. Sitting on a ball for one hour will burn on average 200 extra calories.

Replies

• bbblue92
    bbblue92 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I never watch anything that I can't tape onto my tivo and forward through the commercials . . . I guess I had better just start letting the commercials run and get a few little workouts in! That's a great idea!
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    You have so many great ideas!! Thanks.

Oh and the stability ball is a great idea. My favorite music artist (Imogen Heap) has no chairs in her home studio. She sits on a stability ball for hours while writing music and producing. :) Haha. I want one just because of her.
  • run_way
    run_way Posts: 220
    Options
    Awesome idea! Thanks for the breakdown of stuff to do, it's really helpful!
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    I've never done one this intense, but I love commercial break workouts!! Especially during New Years when they have all the annoying weight-loss commercials, I'll make myself do 10 crunches for every commercial!

Sadly, I can't afford TV right now and watch a lot of DVDs, so I try to incorporate some sort of DVD-workout instead.

Sex & the City: sets of different exercises for each swear word or nudity, like 10 crunches for the f-word, 10 push-ups when they show boobs, etc.

Buffy: some sort of cardio during action scenes, like running in place or jumping jacks, and 10 crunches or push-ups or something every time Angel looks dark and dreamy......... :love:
  • mommamills
    mommamills Posts: 437
    Options
    buuuuuump!!! thanks! never waste a second! :happy:
  • stongue
    stongue Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Awesome post and idea! This will really help especially on days when I can't get to the gym. I'm going to also use these for computer breaks too. Thanks for the post!
  • Ms172u
    Ms172u Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    that sounds great, I'm going to do it tonight, on top of my regular workout stuff.

Do you have any suggestions as to how to log it in the exercise section?

Thanks
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Whoa, is it really that hard to sit on a stability ball? 200 calories an hour??

Sorry for the stupid question, but I've never used a stability ball.
  • HealthyEscape
    Options
    Buffy: some sort of cardio during action scenes, like running in place or jumping jacks, and 10 crunches or push-ups or something every time Angel looks dark and dreamy......... :love:
    Thats a lot of crunches or pushups! ALmost the whole show worth! :love:
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion of sitting on a stability ball. I always wanted to use one at work but I think our desks are too high plus if I fall admin had to do a nice big heath and safety incident report, lol.

I should definitely pick one up. They are fun to sit on anyway, just rolling and bouncing a bit and I’ll watch 1 hour of TV for sure, yay 200 cals!

EDIT: after posting here, I did a quick google search and sitting on the ball only burns 4 calories more an hour than a normal chair. You'll burn 200 calories just sitting in general but its not something you should log.

Ah well, I still like the idea!

http://sweatscience.com/?p=728
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    MMM... wonder how that mixes with wine :huh: :glasses: :drinker:
    HUGE GymRat Fan!!!
  • WrenLynn
    WrenLynn Posts: 213
    Options
    Bump! Thanks!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion of sitting on a stability ball. I always wanted to use one at work but I think our desks are too high plus if I fall admin had to do a nice big heath and safety incident report, lol.

I should definitely pick one up. They are fun to sit on anyway, just rolling and bouncing a bit and I’ll watch 1 hour of TV for sure, yay 200 cals!

EDIT: after posting here, I did a quick google search and sitting on the ball only burns 4 calories more an hour than a normal chair. You'll burn 200 calories just sitting in general but its not something you should log.

Ah well, I still like the idea!

http://sweatscience.com/?p=728
    But the stability ball is strengthening your core as you sit on it, so it's a terrific way for core strength if you think of it that way it's absolutely worth it! Sitting in a chair too long is horrid for our spine as it's getting compressed the entire time. :ohwell:

Tightening the abs will definitely be an awesome workout sitting on the ball going about your normal day. Hard work but in time you will have a stronger core and you will be able to do it longer and be able to tell a HUGE different in your workouts, how your body feels etc.:bigsmile:

Hm, I might go buy one today, I use one at the gym so I never think of buying one for home, but sitting here on my computer chair, my back starts to bug me pretty quickly so I think using the ball would be great to be working my core muscles while I sit here. lol

Thanks for all the ideas you come up with imagymrat:flowerforyou:
    Becca
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    too good not to bump:wink:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    Whoa, is it really that hard to sit on a stability ball? 200 calories an hour??

Sorry for the stupid question, but I've never used a stability ball.
    nah, no such thing as a stupid question Hon!:flowerforyou: I shared what I know about them, plus of course they are great for so many other uses as well:flowerforyou:

Becca
  • princessorchid
    princessorchid Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    bump