How to lose fat

Options

Replies

• BrittanyAnnL
    Options
    y'all are giving me a friggen headache!

I just wanna lower my BF% & I am having a HELL of a time doing it.

I lift weights 3 times a week (30-45 min) I eat clean (protein..check, healthy fats only.. check, complex carbs..check)

I cant walk... I end up running which includes hilly terrain and sprint intervals 3 times a week for about 45 minutes

I drink like a gallon of water a day.

WHATS MY PROBLEM? I am 135 @ 5'6 and 26% BF :(

how many calories are you eating?

I am eating 1300. But I eat my exercise calories back. I sit at a desk all day with a little walking... So I am pretty much Sedentary. I JUST read a forum that said I should try a 30% Carb intake, 50% Protein, and 20% Fat... is this about right? I am going to change my settings if so...

I'd be surprised, very surprised, if 1300cal is enough, considering your activity level outside of work. I worked with a 39yr old 5'2" tall woman awhile back. She couldn't burn fat unless I made her eat well over 1500cal, with 2000cal turning out to be the magic number (it took awhile to get her to go that high). Granted she was a nurse...but even still. With your age (younger), etc...I don't believe 1300 is realistic.

What is your average over a week? Since you say you eat back your exercise calories?

I am averaging about 1,500 calories. My Net average is 1,070. SOOOO maybe Im not eating my calories back? lol. I thought I was...
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    I didn't see anything in your post about coffee enemas or water fasts so I'm going to assume you don't know science.

:tongue:
  • biddy81
    biddy81 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Holy crap - hold up... other than protein shakes/supplements, how the hell am I supposed to eat 1 gram of protein per lb of body weight? I weight 210 right now, and 210 grams, or even 158 grams of protein is 2-3 times as much protein as I eat in a regular day, and I thought that was a LOT of protein!

I'm 180lbs or so. I eat between 100-150g of protein a day without any issue, and one of my meals almost always consists of taco bell. I don't do protein shakes either. I would like to eat a bit more, but I know I'm carrying at LEAST 30lbs of bodyfat, so I don't worry about it too much.

Women have a little harder time getting the protein in within their calorie limit. Being female, and 31yrs old, at 210lbs (no clue how tall you are), I'd say 125g of protein would be a reasonable start for you. Your protein intake is important, but right now...getting your weight down is of far more importance. Believe me, if you're getting 100g+ of protein in, and lifting heavy with a program like I listed...you'll retain plenty of lean mass while you cut bodyfat.

Ok, I'll shoot for that. I'm 5'8" with a pretty heavy build, so my current goal is 180. We'll see how I feel *IF* I ever get there, but this can't hurt. My current regular workout is Insanity, and I've already noticed a pretty major increase in my stamina and strength. I'll start pushing it harder for the squat/pushup parts - those are currently the hardest for me. Now I have a goal! Well... another goal, anyway.
  • biddy81
    Options
    I didn't see anything in your post about coffee enemas or water fasts so I'm going to assume you don't know science.

Yeah, you can't trust these quacks that try to combine logic with weight loss. I have to say, though, that I much prefer taking my coffee in the OTHER end of my body, rather than an enema. That sounds... uncomfortable...
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    y'all are giving me a friggen headache!

I just wanna lower my BF% & I am having a HELL of a time doing it.

I lift weights 3 times a week (30-45 min) I eat clean (protein..check, healthy fats only.. check, complex carbs..check)

I cant walk... I end up running which includes hilly terrain and sprint intervals 3 times a week for about 45 minutes

I drink like a gallon of water a day.

WHATS MY PROBLEM? I am 135 @ 5'6 and 26% BF :(

how many calories are you eating?

I am eating 1300. But I eat my exercise calories back. I sit at a desk all day with a little walking... So I am pretty much Sedentary. I JUST read a forum that said I should try a 30% Carb intake, 50% Protein, and 20% Fat... is this about right? I am going to change my settings if so...

I'd be surprised, very surprised, if 1300cal is enough, considering your activity level outside of work. I worked with a 39yr old 5'2" tall woman awhile back. She couldn't burn fat unless I made her eat well over 1500cal, with 2000cal turning out to be the magic number (it took awhile to get her to go that high). Granted she was a nurse...but even still. With your age (younger), etc...I don't believe 1300 is realistic.

What is your average over a week? Since you say you eat back your exercise calories?

I am averaging about 1,500 calories. My Net average is 1,070. SOOOO maybe Im not eating my calories back? lol. I thought I was...

And there you have it :).
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    Holy crap - hold up... other than protein shakes/supplements, how the hell am I supposed to eat 1 gram of protein per lb of body weight? I weight 210 right now, and 210 grams, or even 158 grams of protein is 2-3 times as much protein as I eat in a regular day, and I thought that was a LOT of protein!

I'm 180lbs or so. I eat between 100-150g of protein a day without any issue, and one of my meals almost always consists of taco bell. I don't do protein shakes either. I would like to eat a bit more, but I know I'm carrying at LEAST 30lbs of bodyfat, so I don't worry about it too much.

Women have a little harder time getting the protein in within their calorie limit. Being female, and 31yrs old, at 210lbs (no clue how tall you are), I'd say 125g of protein would be a reasonable start for you. Your protein intake is important, but right now...getting your weight down is of far more importance. Believe me, if you're getting 100g+ of protein in, and lifting heavy with a program like I listed...you'll retain plenty of lean mass while you cut bodyfat.

Ok, I'll shoot for that. I'm 5'8" with a pretty heavy build, so my current goal is 180. We'll see how I feel *IF* I ever get there, but this can't hurt. My current regular workout is Insanity, and I've already noticed a pretty major increase in my stamina and strength. I'll start pushing it harder for the squat/pushup parts - those are currently the hardest for me. Now I have a goal! Well... another goal, anyway.

Insanity isn't weight training. Insanity is, honestly...high intensity cardio.

I suggest easing up on the cardio...a LOT. I didn't do ANY cardio when I lost that 40lbs. Cardio is for heart and lung health...and while it's important, losing a substantial amount of bodyfat is probably going to be better for you in the short term.

I highly suggest doing the program as it's written. You will see a HUGE difference in your body, and in your strength.
  • srk369
    srk369 Posts: 256 Member
    Options

Yeah, you can't trust these quacks that try to combine logic with weight loss. I have to say, though, that I much prefer taking my coffee in the OTHER end of my body, rather than an enema. That sounds... uncomfortable...

Crackin' me up!
  • biddy81
    Options

I suggest easing up on the cardio...a LOT. I didn't do ANY cardio when I lost that 40lbs. Cardio is for heart and lung health...and while it's important, losing a substantial amount of bodyfat is probably going to be better for you in the short term.

I highly suggest doing the program as it's written. You will see a HUGE difference in your body, and in your strength.

My ONLY beef with what you're saying here is that I'm developing excellent cardiovascular stamina from doing the high intensity workouts, and I really need that to do well at the road racing I do in the summer. I will definitely work much more of the exercises you listed into my daily routine, but I must keep some cardio so I don't wear out so quickly on the track. Being stronger will help me immensely, too.
    And I know Insanity is mostly cardio, though there are several of those exercises you listed included in it. I'm just kind of addicted to it, but I don't want it to be the only thing I do for fitness.
    You have been exceedingly helpful, and I can't wait to get going on those exercises! Maybe I'll take a quick break from work... :happy:
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Where do the raspberry ketones fit in?
  • BrittanyAnnL
    Options
    Im SOOOOOO confused! & I don't want to lose weight to the lady above me! I want to lose BF and gain more muscle mass. ARGH.

Sorry my anger has given me typos. Im frustrated :( This isnt very simple.. thought it was simple? lol
  • karryann5
    Options
    I started 3 weeks ago at 119 (eliminated Gluten)for a week thinking I had an intolerance to it-a week later took out breads- I have a (spinach-kale-brussel sprout-protein-spoon of greek yogurt & water) juice for breakfast- carrots & peanut butter with apple & string cheese for lunch and either chicken breast plain or plain hamburger no bread for dinner- Drink only water & coffee for in the a.m- snack on handful of raw almonds-
    I started doing 30 min of cardio and 15 min of weights 3 times a week and im at 116- Am I on right track- I would like to be at 108. I stay under or at my caolories recommended- (I guess im wishing the lbs were coming off a lil quicker:) Any Suggestions or is that about right it seems that for 5 days ive been at 116-
  • margieyoumans
    margieyoumans Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Sound advice. I need to up my protein but other than that, I've followed this logic with much success.
  • tatd_820
    tatd_820 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Why is everyone arguing with Griffin220X? He seems like he's in pretty good shape so perhaps people can learn a thing or two from him. Everyone has a different way of losing weight and that was his way. Enough already. Move on.

I like his abs =)
  • crisanderson27
    Options

My ONLY beef with what you're saying here is that I'm developing excellent cardiovascular stamina from doing the high intensity workouts, and I really need that to do well at the road racing I do in the summer. I will definitely work much more of the exercises you listed into my daily routine, but I must keep some cardio so I don't wear out so quickly on the track. Being stronger will help me immensely, too.
    And I know Insanity is mostly cardio, though there are several of those exercises you listed included in it. I'm just kind of addicted to it, but I don't want it to be the only thing I do for fitness.
    You have been exceedingly helpful, and I can't wait to get going on those exercises! Maybe I'll take a quick break from work... :happy:

Lol...I seriously hate to keep grinding on this point! But if you lose 30lbs of bodyfat, your stamina (both muscular and cardiovascular) is going to seem to have increased by an incredible amount. Some cardio is ok...but what you're not understanding is it's not the exercise itself that is cardio or strength training, it's HOW you perform it.

I can squat my bodyweight all day long. That makes it a cardiovascular exercise. Add 300lbs on a bar across my shoulders, and suddenly that squat is flat out heavy strength training.

The other thing is that the program I quoted is a SYSTEM. This is important...because as a system, it's designed to work off of itself for optimal results. If you just randomly throw some squats and pushups into your other exercise routine, great! But is it going to do what the system I wrote out will do?

No.

The program above is designed to help people who can't get to the gym to do heavy compound lifts (barbell squats, bench press, bent over rows, etc). It's designed to hit your major muscle groups systematically, promote hormonal response directing your body to burn fat for fuel, and increase your strength dramatically. If you perform it as written, it'll do all of those things. If you just toss this or that or even most of the exercises in here or there...it's not going to do you any more good than Insanity.

Again...I don't want to seem like I'm pushing this in an unreasonable way...but I need you to understand that if you don't do it the way it's supposed to be done, it will do you absolutely no good. Well, no more good than any other random exercise would. I just don't want you to get your expectations up thinking you're doing something you're not.

Hopefully that makes sense :).
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    Im SOOOOOO confused! & I don't want to lose weight to the lady above me! I want to lose BF and gain more muscle mass. ARGH.

Sorry my anger has given me typos. Im frustrated :( This isnt very simple.. thought it was simple? lol

You have to eat at a surplus to increase muscle mass. You have to eat at a deficit to lose bodyfat. You could try something like www.leangains.com...which plays those rules off each other....but either way the rules are the rules.

(Disclaimer - She's not a newbie, not incredibly overweight, and not a returning athlete or lifter. So don't give me any crap about newbie gains)
    Got to jump in to this, if you're doing road racing... as a sport, well do road racing as exercise...

for example if you're a runner, you're not going to train for a marathon by swimming. Do your sport..

PU...track time isn't cheap my friend. And riding on the street like you do at the track will land you dead, or in jail.

Biddy...I ride a Daytona 675. And trust me...the single biggest boost to my riding was losing bodyfat, the rest will improve as a factor of that single item.
  • frogfan
    frogfan Posts: 1 Member
    Options
  • biddy81
    Options

Lol...I seriously hate to keep grinding on this point! But if you lose 30lbs of bodyfat, your stamina (both muscular and cardiovascular) is going to seem to have increased by an incredible amount. Some cardio is ok...but what you're not understanding is it's not the exercise itself that is cardio or strength training, it's HOW you perform it.

I can squat my bodyweight all day long. That makes it a cardiovascular exercise. Add 300lbs on a bar across my shoulders, and suddenly that squat is flat out heavy strength training.

The other thing is that the program I quoted is a SYSTEM. This is important...because as a system, it's designed to work off of itself for optimal results. If you just randomly throw some squats and pushups into your other exercise routine, great! But is it going to do what the system I wrote out will do?

No.

The program above is designed to help people who can't get to the gym to do heavy compound lifts (barbell squats, bench press, bent over rows, etc). It's designed to hit your major muscle groups systematically, promote hormonal response directing your body to burn fat for fuel, and increase your strength dramatically. If you perform it as written, it'll do all of those things. If you just toss this or that or even most of the exercises in here or there...it's not going to do you any more good than Insanity.

Again...I don't want to seem like I'm pushing this in an unreasonable way...but I need you to understand that if you don't do it the way it's supposed to be done, it will do you absolutely no good. Well, no more good than any other random exercise would. I just don't want you to get your expectations up thinking you're doing something you're not.

Hopefully that makes sense :).

It does make sense, and I want to do it as you wrote it (I did just take a break and did a few sets in the work bathroom and holy CRAP). I just want to INCLUDE it in what I'm doing. Like, still do the cardio, because I enjoy it and am seeing positive results, but ALSO do this routine, exactly as you lined it out. Does that seem like it would work, or are you saying that the cardio will somehow compromise the effectiveness? If that's the case, then no I'm not understanding it.
    And Pu_239 - I live in Alaska and there is still ice on the ground. Not lots of racing to be done for another month and a half. Thus I must keep in shape other ways to be ready for it. I do it as a sport, but not for a living, so it's a hobby. I also bellydance and horseback ride and hike, etc. I'm just looking for an overall fitness routine and liked the results I've seen from what I'm doing.
  • 17ChargerGirl17
    Options
    thank you, sounds like a great plan and oohhh by the way....makes perfect since to me lol
  • SlvrBluGoddess
    SlvrBluGoddess Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    1. Lift Weights at least 3 times a week
    2. Eat 1g of protein per lbs of LBM
    3. Adjust calories to lose 1lb to 2lbs per week

Edit: typos yet again...ughh

(honest question) How do you figure out how much LBM you have? I've never figured it out...
  • Tricep_A_Tops
    Options
    1. Lift Weights at least 3 times a week
    2. Eat 1g of protein per lbs of LBM
    3. Adjust calories to lose 1lb to 2lbs per week

Edit: typos yet again...ughh
    Thats exactly how I lost 83 lbs but I lifted 4 x per week.