Consistently Waaay Over in the "protein" category

Options
Every day I am under my calorie goal, or even after I have just started eating for the day, and I max out, and subsequently go over on protein consistently. Is this bad to have more protein than MFP suggests?

Details: I weigh 160lbs
Female
Currently doing "Insanity"

Replies

• dsmpunk
    dsmpunk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    No. MFP protein allotment is way low for some reason.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

This. I have manually set my own goals and doubled the protein goal to 30 % from MFP's 15%.
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    It's very low on MFP. You should eat apprx. 0.8g per pound of ideal body weight. If you are doing intense workouts (like insanity) it should be more like 1g per pound.
  • ncl1313
    ncl1313 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I have my macros set at 40% carb, 35% fat, and 25% protein. That gives me about 1g protein per pound of lean muscle. I do heavy lifting, not insanity, but I would assume you need a decent amount of protein for HIIT as well.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    It is such a circus act trying to maintain all the right intakes I feel. Some days I just don't have it in me to try to get it "right". I think if you are doing any kind of resistance workout that protein will help you build muscle which will help you burn more fat. Of course I could be wrong. If I am I am sure someone will let me know it!
  • jessvaughn74
    jessvaughn74 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I wish I had this problem. I have mine set for 30% of my calories which I believe puts it aroud 98g. I usually only get in 70ish grams a day. I need more protein!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    It is such a circus act trying to maintain all the right intakes I feel. Some days I just don't have it in me to try to get it "right". I think if you are doing any kind of resistance workout that protein will help you build muscle which will help you burn more fat. Of course I could be wrong. If I am I am sure someone will let me know it!

It can be. I more just aim to get my protein near my goal and keep carbs under goal. If I look and I'm way under on protein, I just plan my next meal accordingly.
  • fishhawk1400
    fishhawk1400 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I wish I had this problem. I have mine set for 30% of my calories which I believe puts it aroud 98g. I usually only get in 70ish grams a day. I need more protein!

Add a couple of egg whites to your daily meals either hard boiled with the yolks removed or I do it scrambled or some cottage cheese
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    MFP sets protein too low. To set your macros, check out this link: 

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/911011-calculating-calorie-macronutrient-needs?page=1#posts-13821336

Also, it's hard to have too much protein. 

"It has been observed that the human liver cannot safely metabolise much more than 285-365 g of protein per day (for an 80 kg person), and human kidneys are similarly limited in their capability to remove urea (a byproduct of protein catabolism) from the bloodstream. Exceeding that amount results in excess levels of amino acids, ammonia (hyperammonemia), and/or urea in the bloodstream, with potentially fatal consequences,[1] especially if the person switches to a high-protein diet without giving time for the levels of his or her hepatic enzymes to upregulate. Since protein only contains 4 kcal/gram, and a typical adult human requires in excess of 1900 kcal to maintain the energy balance, it is possible to exceed the safe intake of protein if one is subjected to a high-protein diet with little or no fat or carbohydrates. However, given the lack of scientific data on the effects of high-protein diets, and the observed ability of the liver to compensate over a few days for a shift in protein intake, the US Food and Nutrition Board does not set a Tolerable Upper Limit nor upper Acceptable Macronutrient Distribution Range for protein.[2] Furthermore, medical sources such as UpToDate[3] do not include listings on this topic." 

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_starvation
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    .7- 1 g per day of LBM (lean body mass)
    LBM= Weight minus body fat
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    If you don't like the MFP settings use your own custom settings.
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    protein is awesome. and mfp has it set way too low

ideally you should be having 1g of protein for each pound of weight.

increase your protein and see the weight come off.
  • t2kburl
    t2kburl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I would recommend following the nutrition guide that came with your Insanity program while you are doing the workouts, rather than following MFP guidelines. Fueling your body properly will improve your results.
  • barbaratrollman
    barbaratrollman Posts: 317 Member
    Options

This. I have manually set my own goals and doubled the protein goal to 30 % from MFP's 15%.

How do you set your MFP to a custom protein goal? I've looked all through the settings and can't find a specific setting for items like that.
  • sateliteofluv
    sateliteofluv Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    It's under "Goals" instead of "Settings." Click on goals, and then "Custom."
  • Woolified
    Woolified Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thanks gyus, good tips!
  • biddy81
    biddy81 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    What are you eating to be so far over on your protein? I saw a comment about egg whites, but anything else? I need to bump my protein up and welcome any ideas.
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I set my percentage up and can never get enough... working on it.
  • tonyoconnor129
    tonyoconnor129 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to check out the vegetarian vegan sections here. you can get most of your protein from plant sources (I get almost all of mine from plant sources, with an egg or three tossed in for good measure) You can also get awesome results going vegan.
    My macros are set at 60/30/10 and the hardest part for me is eating enough to get my basic calorie requirements in. Check out Forks Over Knives, remembering that the "testimonials" from people with miraculous changes in their lives are anecdotal and not a scientific end all for eating meat. Also find a book in your library called "diet for a small planet"
    Of course, it's not all about what you eat, it's about how much we shovel in to our bodies that help to determine our weight.
    20 years as a vegetarisn does NOT mean 20 years of wise food choices. I've said this before, Itis AMAZING and frightening how much pizza I can shovel in in a sitting. And if there are leftovers, pizza for breakfast!
  • btoeps74
    btoeps74 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    protein is awesome. and mfp has it set way too low

ideally you should be having 1g of protein for each pound of weight.

increase your protein and see the weight come off.

I was thinking this when I read the thread topic. I always like seeing my protien over the set goal.