Replies

• krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    1. Lift Weights at least 3 times a week
    2. Eat 1g of protein per lbs of LBM
    3. Adjust calories to lose 1lb to 2lbs per week

Edit: typos yet again...ughh

Meet all except 2!!! I'm about 30-40g short daily!!! So hard to meet that target unless i suck on protein shakes the whole day ! :laugh:
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Holy crap - hold up... other than protein shakes/supplements, how the hell am I supposed to eat 1 gram of protein per lb of body weight? I weight 210 right now, and 210 grams, or even 158 grams of protein is 2-3 times as much protein as I eat in a regular day, and I thought that was a LOT of protein!

I'm 180lbs or so. I eat between 100-150g of protein a day without any issue, and one of my meals almost always consists of taco bell. I don't do protein shakes either. I would like to eat a bit more, but I know I'm carrying at LEAST 30lbs of bodyfat, so I don't worry about it too much.

Women have a little harder time getting the protein in within their calorie limit. Being female, and 31yrs old, at 210lbs (no clue how tall you are), I'd say 125g of protein would be a reasonable start for you. Your protein intake is important, but right now...getting your weight down is of far more importance. Believe me, if you're getting 100g+ of protein in, and lifting heavy with a program like I listed...you'll retain plenty of lean mass while you cut bodyfat.

Ok, I'll shoot for that. I'm 5'8" with a pretty heavy build, so my current goal is 180. We'll see how I feel *IF* I ever get there, but this can't hurt. My current regular workout is Insanity, and I've already noticed a pretty major increase in my stamina and strength. I'll start pushing it harder for the squat/pushup parts - those are currently the hardest for me. Now I have a goal! Well... another goal, anyway.

Insanity isn't weight training. Insanity is, honestly...high intensity cardio.

I suggest easing up on the cardio...a LOT. I didn't do ANY cardio when I lost that 40lbs. Cardio is for heart and lung health...and while it's important, losing a substantial amount of bodyfat is probably going to be better for you in the short term.

I highly suggest doing the program as it's written. You will see a HUGE difference in your body, and in your strength.

My ONLY beef with what you're saying here is that I'm developing excellent cardiovascular stamina from doing the high intensity workouts, and I really need that to do well at the road racing I do in the summer. I will definitely work much more of the exercises you listed into my daily routine, but I must keep some cardio so I don't wear out so quickly on the track. Being stronger will help me immensely, too.
    And I know Insanity is mostly cardio, though there are several of those exercises you listed included in it. I'm just kind of addicted to it, but I don't want it to be the only thing I do for fitness.
    You have been exceedingly helpful, and I can't wait to get going on those exercises! Maybe I'll take a quick break from work... :happy:

Lol...I seriously hate to keep grinding on this point! But if you lose 30lbs of bodyfat, your stamina (both muscular and cardiovascular) is going to seem to have increased by an incredible amount. Some cardio is ok...but what you're not understanding is it's not the exercise itself that is cardio or strength training, it's HOW you perform it.

I can squat my bodyweight all day long. That makes it a cardiovascular exercise. Add 300lbs on a bar across my shoulders, and suddenly that squat is flat out heavy strength training.

The other thing is that the program I quoted is a SYSTEM. This is important...because as a system, it's designed to work off of itself for optimal results. If you just randomly throw some squats and pushups into your other exercise routine, great! But is it going to do what the system I wrote out will do?

No.

The program above is designed to help people who can't get to the gym to do heavy compound lifts (barbell squats, bench press, bent over rows, etc). It's designed to hit your major muscle groups systematically, promote hormonal response directing your body to burn fat for fuel, and increase your strength dramatically. If you perform it as written, it'll do all of those things. If you just toss this or that or even most of the exercises in here or there...it's not going to do you any more good than Insanity.

Again...I don't want to seem like I'm pushing this in an unreasonable way...but I need you to understand that if you don't do it the way it's supposed to be done, it will do you absolutely no good. Well, no more good than any other random exercise would. I just don't want you to get your expectations up thinking you're doing something you're not.

Hopefully that makes sense :).

It does make sense, and I want to do it as you wrote it (I did just take a break and did a few sets in the work bathroom and holy CRAP). I just want to INCLUDE it in what I'm doing. Like, still do the cardio, because I enjoy it and am seeing positive results, but ALSO do this routine, exactly as you lined it out. Does that seem like it would work, or are you saying that the cardio will somehow compromise the effectiveness? If that's the case, then no I'm not understanding it.
    And Pu_239 - I live in Alaska and there is still ice on the ground. Not lots of racing to be done for another month and a half. Thus I must keep in shape other ways to be ready for it. I do it as a sport, but not for a living, so it's a hobby. I also bellydance and horseback ride and hike, etc. I'm just looking for an overall fitness routine and liked the results I've seen from what I'm doing.

Do some google searches on the results of over exercising. You seem VERY active...if you just throw this in on top of it...no, I don't believe it will be very effective. Rest is JUST as critical as exercise when it comes to a healthy workout plan.

Here is how I would do it if I were you.

Monday - LIFT only...10 minutes pre workout cardio, stretch after.
    Tuesday - Moderate cardio..30min to 1hr.
    Wednesday - LIFT only...10 minutes pre workout cardio, stretch after.
    Thursday - Moderate cardio..30min to 1hr.
    Friday - LIFT only...10 minutes pre workout cardio, stretch after.
    Saturday - Moderate cardio (I prefer rest here...but if you HAVE to...)
    Sunday - REST.

ETA - Your horseback riding, belly dancing, and hiking are all normal activities. Don't count them as cardio. Still...try to keep one day a week free for just lounging around and relaxing. Your body will appreciate it more than you realize!
  • MsMarlaJean
    MsMarlaJean Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    1. Lift Weights at least 3 times a week
    2. Eat 1g of protein per lbs of LBM
    3. Adjust calories to lose 1lb to 2lbs per week

Edit: typos yet again...ughh

Wait?! What?! No cleansing or detoxing? Or green coffee beans, raspberry ketones? I don't have to give up pasta for the rest of my life? And what if I have a desk job?! Do I need to become a gluten free vegan low carb intermittent faster? Should I not eat after 7pm?!?!?

Sorry I've been on the forums to much lately. Excellent solid straight forward advice!!! Thanks for the post!!! :flowerforyou:

HA! That's funny!
  • biddy81
    biddy81 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Holy crap - hold up... other than protein shakes/supplements, how the hell am I supposed to eat 1 gram of protein per lb of body weight? I weight 210 right now, and 210 grams, or even 158 grams of protein is 2-3 times as much protein as I eat in a regular day, and I thought that was a LOT of protein!

I'm 180lbs or so. I eat between 100-150g of protein a day without any issue, and one of my meals almost always consists of taco bell. I don't do protein shakes either. I would like to eat a bit more, but I know I'm carrying at LEAST 30lbs of bodyfat, so I don't worry about it too much.

Women have a little harder time getting the protein in within their calorie limit. Being female, and 31yrs old, at 210lbs (no clue how tall you are), I'd say 125g of protein would be a reasonable start for you. Your protein intake is important, but right now...getting your weight down is of far more importance. Believe me, if you're getting 100g+ of protein in, and lifting heavy with a program like I listed...you'll retain plenty of lean mass while you cut bodyfat.

Ok, I'll shoot for that. I'm 5'8" with a pretty heavy build, so my current goal is 180. We'll see how I feel *IF* I ever get there, but this can't hurt. My current regular workout is Insanity, and I've already noticed a pretty major increase in my stamina and strength. I'll start pushing it harder for the squat/pushup parts - those are currently the hardest for me. Now I have a goal! Well... another goal, anyway.

Insanity isn't weight training. Insanity is, honestly...high intensity cardio.

I suggest easing up on the cardio...a LOT. I didn't do ANY cardio when I lost that 40lbs. Cardio is for heart and lung health...and while it's important, losing a substantial amount of bodyfat is probably going to be better for you in the short term.

I highly suggest doing the program as it's written. You will see a HUGE difference in your body, and in your strength.

My ONLY beef with what you're saying here is that I'm developing excellent cardiovascular stamina from doing the high intensity workouts, and I really need that to do well at the road racing I do in the summer. I will definitely work much more of the exercises you listed into my daily routine, but I must keep some cardio so I don't wear out so quickly on the track. Being stronger will help me immensely, too.
    And I know Insanity is mostly cardio, though there are several of those exercises you listed included in it. I'm just kind of addicted to it, but I don't want it to be the only thing I do for fitness.
    You have been exceedingly helpful, and I can't wait to get going on those exercises! Maybe I'll take a quick break from work... :happy:

Lol...I seriously hate to keep grinding on this point! But if you lose 30lbs of bodyfat, your stamina (both muscular and cardiovascular) is going to seem to have increased by an incredible amount. Some cardio is ok...but what you're not understanding is it's not the exercise itself that is cardio or strength training, it's HOW you perform it.

I can squat my bodyweight all day long. That makes it a cardiovascular exercise. Add 300lbs on a bar across my shoulders, and suddenly that squat is flat out heavy strength training.

The other thing is that the program I quoted is a SYSTEM. This is important...because as a system, it's designed to work off of itself for optimal results. If you just randomly throw some squats and pushups into your other exercise routine, great! But is it going to do what the system I wrote out will do?

No.

The program above is designed to help people who can't get to the gym to do heavy compound lifts (barbell squats, bench press, bent over rows, etc). It's designed to hit your major muscle groups systematically, promote hormonal response directing your body to burn fat for fuel, and increase your strength dramatically. If you perform it as written, it'll do all of those things. If you just toss this or that or even most of the exercises in here or there...it's not going to do you any more good than Insanity.

Again...I don't want to seem like I'm pushing this in an unreasonable way...but I need you to understand that if you don't do it the way it's supposed to be done, it will do you absolutely no good. Well, no more good than any other random exercise would. I just don't want you to get your expectations up thinking you're doing something you're not.

Hopefully that makes sense :).

It does make sense, and I want to do it as you wrote it (I did just take a break and did a few sets in the work bathroom and holy CRAP). I just want to INCLUDE it in what I'm doing. Like, still do the cardio, because I enjoy it and am seeing positive results, but ALSO do this routine, exactly as you lined it out. Does that seem like it would work, or are you saying that the cardio will somehow compromise the effectiveness? If that's the case, then no I'm not understanding it.
    And Pu_239 - I live in Alaska and there is still ice on the ground. Not lots of racing to be done for another month and a half. Thus I must keep in shape other ways to be ready for it. I do it as a sport, but not for a living, so it's a hobby. I also bellydance and horseback ride and hike, etc. I'm just looking for an overall fitness routine and liked the results I've seen from what I'm doing.

Do some google searches on the results of over exercising. You seem VERY active...if you just throw this in on top of it...no, I don't believe it will be very effective. Rest is JUST as critical as exercise when it comes to a healthy workout plan.

Here is how I would do it if I were you.

Monday - LIFT only...10 minutes pre workout cardio, stretch after.
    Tuesday - Moderate cardio..30min to 1hr.
    Wednesday - LIFT only...10 minutes pre workout cardio, stretch after.
    Thursday - Moderate cardio..30min to 1hr.
    Friday - LIFT only...10 minutes pre workout cardio, stretch after.
    Saturday - Moderate cardio (I prefer rest here...but if you HAVE to...)
    Sunday - REST.

Yeah, I look a lot more active than I am. In the summer, hardly a spare moment. In the winter (7 months of the year), not so much. I dance all winter, but much less horse riding, NO motorcycles... and I sit at a desk all day. I try to walk a bit, but it's just back and forth through a small office. It's maddening trying to find a balance so I'm not OVER doing it, but getting enough, you know? I'll try the layout you have above - I've not done the 6 days/week Insanity anyway. I think they most I've done so far is 5 times one week, but mostly 3-4. And there is moderate cardio on Saturday, yes, because I have a Bhangra class that has a lot of jumping. :happy:
    One clarification: on the "lift only" days, does "10 minutes pre workout cardio" refer to a warm-up, basically? I know I'm asking a lot of potentially obvious questions, but I just want to get it right. Losing some body fat would be so wonderful.
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    Im SOOOOOO confused! & I don't want to lose weight to the lady above me! I want to lose BF and gain more muscle mass. ARGH.

Sorry my anger has given me typos. Im frustrated :( This isnt very simple.. thought it was simple? lol

You have to eat at a surplus to increase muscle mass. You have to eat at a deficit to lose bodyfat. You could try something like www.leangains.com...which plays those rules off each other....but either way the rules are the rules.

(Disclaimer - She's not a newbie, not incredibly overweight, and not a returning athlete or lifter. So don't give me any crap about newbie gains)
    Got to jump in to this, if you're doing road racing... as a sport, well do road racing as exercise...

for example if you're a runner, you're not going to train for a marathon by swimming. Do your sport..

PU...track time isn't cheap my friend. And riding on the street like you do at the track will land you dead, or in jail.

Biddy...I ride a Daytona 675. And trust me...the single biggest boost to my riding was losing bodyfat, the rest will improve as a factor of that single item.
    Ya I can imagine it's not cheap. You already know that fat loss is about a calorie deficit. Assuming if you could afford track time, it would be better to do it. The time yo spend doing other stuff can be spent on the track. It's a skill, it takes practice.

Like a piano player, they're better off playing the piano then playing the trumpet.

As you also probably already know muscles are sport specific. The way you drive uses specific muscles you must train them.
    If you want to get better at something, practice what you want to get better at.

Ehh...all correct, other than one thing. Take...football players for example. They lift weights/exercise to gain the strength/fitness to effectively practice to improve their skill. They don't just play football all day to gain the conditioning necessary to play football.

Riding a bike hard at the track is like that. Muscle memory and improving the specific stabilizers will only happen on the bike of course, but your overall conditioning is critical, and you'd have to track ride every day for hours to develop it to a level to get you through one extensive track day.

Much quicker to just exercise/lift to be fit/strong to cover that part.
  • biddy81
    Options
    Im SOOOOOO confused! & I don't want to lose weight to the lady above me! I want to lose BF and gain more muscle mass. ARGH.

Sorry my anger has given me typos. Im frustrated :( This isnt very simple.. thought it was simple? lol

You have to eat at a surplus to increase muscle mass. You have to eat at a deficit to lose bodyfat. You could try something like www.leangains.com...which plays those rules off each other....but either way the rules are the rules.

(Disclaimer - She's not a newbie, not incredibly overweight, and not a returning athlete or lifter. So don't give me any crap about newbie gains)
    Got to jump in to this, if you're doing road racing... as a sport, well do road racing as exercise...

for example if you're a runner, you're not going to train for a marathon by swimming. Do your sport..

PU...track time isn't cheap my friend. And riding on the street like you do at the track will land you dead, or in jail.

Biddy...I ride a Daytona 675. And trust me...the single biggest boost to my riding was losing bodyfat, the rest will improve as a factor of that single item.
    Ya I can imagine it's not cheap. You already know that fat loss is about a calorie deficit. Assuming if you could afford track time, it would be better to do it. The time yo spend doing other stuff can be spent on the track. It's a skill, it takes practice.

Like a piano player, they're better off playing the piano then playing the trumpet.

As you also probably already know muscles are sport specific. The way you drive uses specific muscles you must train them.
    If you want to get better at something, practice what you want to get better at.

Again - Alaska. Tracks are 3000 miles and an expensive plane ticket away. Hence, it's a hobby. Sure WISH I could practice that much... :sad:
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    If the picture is you, I'd have to say the results speak for themselves.
  • Jonesie1984
    Jonesie1984 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    y'all are giving me a friggen headache!

I just wanna lower my BF% & I am having a HELL of a time doing it.

I lift weights 3 times a week (30-45 min) I eat clean (protein..check, healthy fats only.. check, complex carbs..check)

I cant walk... I end up running which includes hilly terrain and sprint intervals 3 times a week for about 45 minutes

I drink like a gallon of water a day.

WHATS MY PROBLEM? I am 135 @ 5'6 and 26% BF :(

What kind of weight lifting are we talking here? 5lb Barbie weights or something on a bar that's taller than you? If the former, drop them and go for the big stuff. If the latter, keep it up and make sure you're pushing yourself. And try dropping some of the cardio.

Might want to try changing your macros, too. MFP, by default, gives you a high carb level and low protein level. It might also be worth trying something like getting most of your carbs from veggies instead of grains if you're not already.

LOL. The only time I do "barbie" weights is when I am not at the gym... because the heaviest I have at home is 12lbs. BUT, yes when at the gym I do lift heavy. It alternates sometimes I do lower weights higher reps.. other times I do the absolute max I can lift until I fail.

I do a lot of HIIT with the weights.

I do eat brown rice but usually no later than lunchtime and no more than a few times a week.. My veggie intake is HUGE. I love them and cant get enough.

Maybe I am not pushing myself hard enough?

"heavy" weight is relative to the persons strength. Fat loss is much more gradual than pound loss and if you didn't get initial BF measurements you can feel like your number now is not very good (I felt the same way) because I didn't get my INITIAL body fat reading.. it was probably much higher to start.. be patient, push yourself and you'll get there. =)
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    Yeah, I look a lot more active than I am. In the summer, hardly a spare moment. In the winter (7 months of the year), not so much. I dance all winter, but much less horse riding, NO motorcycles... and I sit at a desk all day. I try to walk a bit, but it's just back and forth through a small office. It's maddening trying to find a balance so I'm not OVER doing it, but getting enough, you know? I'll try the layout you have above - I've not done the 6 days/week Insanity anyway. I think they most I've done so far is 5 times one week, but mostly 3-4. And there is moderate cardio on Saturday, yes, because I have a Bhangra class that has a lot of jumping. :happy:
    One clarification: on the "lift only" days, does "10 minutes pre workout cardio" refer to a warm-up, basically? I know I'm asking a lot of potentially obvious questions, but I just want to get it right. Losing some body fat would be so wonderful.

Yes, 10 minutes of warmup/active stretching. HIIT jumping jacks even would do the trick :). I used to do racketball, or work my heavy bag for my warmup.
  • biddy81
    Options

Ehh...all correct, other than one thing. Take...football players for example. They lift weights/exercise to gain the strength/fitness to effectively practice to improve their skill. They don't just play football all day to gain the conditioning necessary to play football.

Riding a bike hard at the track is like that. Muscle memory and improving the specific stabilizers will only happen on the bike of course, but your overall conditioning is critical, and you'd have to track ride every day for hours to develop it to a level to get you through one extensive track day.

Much quicker to just exercise/lift to be fit/strong to cover that part.

I like the bike in your ticker.
  • biddy81
    Options

Yes, 10 minutes of warmup/active stretching. HIIT jumping jacks even would do the trick :). I used to do racketball, or work my heavy back for my warmup.

Ok, thanks.
  • crisanderson27
    Options

7434194_6868.jpg

Thanks...that's my baby lol.
  • biddy81
    Options

7434194_6868.jpg

Mmmm what is that? I've never perfected my "recognize motorcycle makes from just a picture" skills. My first thought is R-1 or R-6?
  • crisanderson27
    Options

7434194_6868.jpg

Mmmm what is that? I've never perfected my "recognize motorcycle makes from just a picture" skills. My first thought is R-1 or R-6?

2006 Triumph Daytona 675 :)
  • LBNOakland
    LBNOakland Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    bump - good advice!:drinker:
  • biddy81
    Options

7434194_6868.jpg

2006 Triumph Daytona 675 :)

Ah *sheepish grin* it's gorgeous.
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    foot ball is more applied strength. Just because you can lift heavy doesn't mean you can apply it. A good example is gymnasts vs bodybuilders.

Gymnasts can do what bodybuilders do, but bodybuilders can't do what gymnasts do.

Football is a good bit more than applied strength lol. Even being on the line requires footwork and coordination. These things are learned...as you said, via practicing the sport.

But you sort of prove my point here. Even gymnasts don't just do gymnastics in order to gain or maintain the conditioning necessary to do gymnastics. In order to improve the skill...you absolutely have to do the sport. In order to have the level of strength and conditioning necessary to do the sport properly (in order to increase your skill), it's easiest to just exercise.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    What, no cleanses herbs or fasts? Not legit!
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    Best fat burn workout is WALKING on treadmill at 13-15% incline....keeps your heartrate consistently in your fat burn zone.

My favorite fat burn workout is sitting on my butt all day.

A couple hours walking on a treadmill burns a couple hundred calories. Sitting on my butt all day burns like 2000! Now THERE'S a fat burn workout.

Doing that right now!
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    What about the toxins??

DON'T FORGET THE TOXINZ!!!1!!!11!!!!!1