Hey guys! Success but questions too!

Options
I have been on my final journey since January 1, 2013. This is the first 'resolution' I've stuck to for over a month. I started with doing daily Yoga, because my doctor told me to avoid anything high-impact until my knees and back are stronger (chrondomalacia patella and 5 herniated discs) and able to support the 'bounce'. I fell in love with the Yoga, and continued that until the middle of March when I signed up for and became a BeachBody Coach. I got Power 90, and started on Shakeology (which I love... WOW!!) and have been going strong for 21 days now. (Starting 22 today). I am continuing the daily Yoga too, and I have 1-2 daily muscle toning challenges going on in my Facebook community (/lovingtolose) on any given day..

Unfortunately I have not seen any differences in my scale, it IS going down slightly, but very very slightly. I am seemingly stuck at about 226, so I do have weight to lose. My inches are going down slowly as well, but I wonder if my weight should have changed more by now? I know muscle will make up the difference alot of times, but after 3 months, shouldn't there be some weight movement?

My question is this... do I change my 'lifestyle' to calculate my needed daily calories, due to my exercising, or do I keep it as 'sedentary' since I still do sit to work, and I am sitting the majority of the time I study and am not working out. A general day is wake, 5-10 minute wakeup yoga, breakfast for me and son, sit to study, snack, study, lunch for me and son, study, Power 90 and toning challenge, shower, snack, study, make dinner, study, Yoga and tea, bedtime.

Anyway, great to see all of you doing so well!! I hope I can switch it up a bit to make this more effective very soon! <3

Replies

• mariettakdavis
    mariettakdavis Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I checked out your food diary and I don't know why you are not seeing a loss. I have never done P90, but I heard it's very difficult. Isn't it mostly muscle training though? Have you tried incorporating some high intensity cardio in your workouts? Strength training is most important, but Cardio burns fat fast. Try going for a power walk before or after your Yoga in the morning and then again at night a little while after dinner. It sounds like you are studying A LOT. I am working on my Master's so I get that! Although I am not the best student right now because I have put my exercise/health as a higher priority (not really smart cause this is my last semester) but I NEED this right now.

Other than more Cardio I am not sure. Your calorie deficit looks good so you should be seeing a loss. Sorry I couldn't be more help.
  • salenya
    salenya Posts: 8
    Options
    I checked out your food diary and I don't know why you are not seeing a loss. I have never done P90, but I heard it's very difficult. Isn't it mostly muscle training though? Have you tried incorporating some high intensity cardio in your workouts? Strength training is most important, but Cardio burns fat fast. Try going for a power walk before or after your Yoga in the morning and then again at night a little while after dinner. It sounds like you are studying A LOT. I am working on my Master's so I get that! Although I am not the best student right now because I have put my exercise/health as a higher priority (not really smart cause this is my last semester) but I NEED this right now.

Other than more Cardio I am not sure. Your calorie deficit looks good so you should be seeing a loss. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

The area I live in isn't really easy to go walking, and I would have to take my son with me if we went somewhere so it's a little difficult. I could try riding my stationary bike more. Power 90 is the program before P90x, and it alternates high-heat cardio with strength training. I know exactly what you mean about being a good student! I seem to spend more time posting motivational posts than I do focusing on my studies, but I am trying to balance it out, because we cannot move until I get my first job into my new career, lol.
    You did help, thank you!! I just wonder if I am not eating enough for my activity, since I do work out more than I ever did in the past. I'll have to play with it a bit I guess :)
  • masdec7
    masdec7 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I've recently been doing 30 Day Shred. I've been putting it in as circuit training. I was beginning to wonder if I was truly burning the calories that MFP said I was. I have to modify quite a bit of the workout. I have decided to eat only half of those calories back as a test of my theory. Maybe you are having a similar issue? My walking calories are more straight forward. You could consider giving something like this a try too. Do it for a week and see if it makes a difference. Good luck.
  • nhradeuce
    nhradeuce Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    If you are mostly sedentary during the day, list it as such. Then make sure you log your exercise and eat those calories back. If you don't eat your calories back your deficit will be too large.

How often are you weighing yourself? Don't do it more than once a week. More importantly, take pictures and measure yourself. Those are better indicators of your progress, the scale lies.
  • mariettakdavis
    mariettakdavis Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I agree with overcome35. There is also a possibility that you are not burning as many calories as MFP say's you are. I try to leave an extra cushion most every day because of that. Once my Bodybugg gets here it will take all the guess work out of it. Have you looked into getting one? Right now they are only $119! Mine was shipped yesterday and I can't wait!
  • salenya
    salenya Posts: 8
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Sometimes I wonder if MFP underestimates how much I burn, due to how worn out I feel afterward, but I generally try not to eat over my base caloric goal. I'll definitely try eating some more, since I am doing alot of activity. I can't afford much else in the way of fitness stuff right now, but I have a really good scale that measures weight, fat %, water %, bone %, muscle % :) Due to my past my bone % is extremely low, so I am going to be doing my best to bump up my calcium too. Thanks for the suggestions guys!! :D<3
  • momma252012
    Options
    I thought I was doing great on watching the calories, until I talked with a friend that had done the belly fat diet. I learned from her that it's not enough to just keep your calories at the right level, but watch the sugar intake. The sugar is what puts the weight around the mid section or prevents it from coming off. I was already watching the sodium level but the sugar, my weakness. And be sure to drink lots of water in place of the other drinks that add to weight. So maybe this helps. Good luck.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!