HRM question!

Options
Okay, so after my workouts, if I immediately get up and go make my protein shake instead of sitting down, my heart rate stays up at a cardiovascular level (in the 150's). I'm wondering if I should leave my heart rate monitor on so it can count calories burned until my heart rate drops down back to normal. Or should I stop it right after I finish my workout even if my heart rate is still high?

Replies

• sagithia
    sagithia Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Take it off, any additional burn is a bonus not something you are working at. Its the same as counting your rest rate before you start working out.
  • natspoiledbrat
    Options
    I agree! Take it off, and it sounds like if your HR is staying that high once you have stopped working out, there might be something wrong with the monitor. When I work out at my highest I get to about 160 and with a 2 minute cool down I usually drop down to about 125 and then by the time I stretch I am down to about 100.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Take it off, any additional burn is a bonus not something you are working at. Its the same as counting your rest rate before you start working out.
    I agree.
  • robinp00
    robinp00 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    You should do a bit more cool down if your heart rate is still that high. Your heart rate should be slightly above your normal once you are done your cool down. I would recommend keeping your heart rate monitor on throughout your entire cool down, turning it off and getting your recovery drink only once your rate is close to the normal.

Here are some quotes from an article I found:

Why cool down?

As you exercise, the heart rate increases, muscles build up tension, and waste products, such as lactic acid and carbon dioxide, are produced.

When you stop a strenuous exercise the heart takes a while to adjust to your new pace: it is still pumping blood fast and hard to the extremities. Moving the arms and legs helps return blood to the heart. This, in turn, keeps the blood circulating to the take excess carbon dioxide and other waste products out of the muscles. Removing waste such as lactic acid is important to reduce muscle soreness.

Also, if you suddenly stop moving, the blood being sent to the heart doesn’t get returned as quickly and tends to collect in the extremities. As a result, the rest of the body is left with less blood to work with. This is referred to as "blood pooling" and can result in light headedness or even fainting.

Am I cool yet?

Your cool down has been effective if:

•Your heart rate and breathing have returned to normal or slightly above normal.
    •Body temperature has come down.
    •Body feels relaxed and refreshed.

Link to article:
    http://fitness.suite101.com/article.cfm/cool_down_to_complete_your_workout
  • EKarma
    EKarma Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I stop my HRM when I am done stretching out.. Are you stretching after your workouts?
  • kcbythec
    kcbythec Posts: 22
    Options
    I definitely turn off my HRM after my cool downs, as they are very active stretches, I even still listen to my music too. As soon as I hit the locker room I turn it off and look for my stats.

kcbythec
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I stop my HRM when I am done stretching out.. Are you stretching after your workouts?
    Exactly.
    Cool down is part of your workout. I count the calories until my heart rate is closer to normal after cooling down.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Lactic acid is not a waste product.
  • wmchick81
    Options
    My resting heart rate is around 80 bpm. I leave my heart rate monitor on until my heart rate is back to 100 or less. Your body is suppose to burn extra calories for every thirty minutes of cardio or physical activity, so I assume my heart rate staying up is those extra calories.