What do I need to know about juicing?

Options
garnet116
garnet116 Posts: 144 Member
What changes have you seen in your body from it and how often do you do it?

If I plan on juicing daily (but not making large quanities) can I get away with a cheaper juicer like Hamilton Beach... or do I need to get a Breville or similar?

Lastly, what are your favorite recipes that you mainly use?

Replies

• bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    put ginger and spinach in everything
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I just started juicing not to long ago. I do it every couple of days to go with my breakfast. my favorite is the juice by 2's (2 celery, 2 apples, 2 oranges, 2 grapefruit, and 2 handfulls spinach). i normally split wth my bf.
  • PagiePuju
    PagiePuju Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have a Nutribullet and it works great! I normally will do a fruit smoothie in the mornings and a veggie smoothie in the afternoon. I recommend the Nutribullet because you can just put the entire fruit in and blend it up. Easy to clean too.
    Oh, and find a farmers market because produce can get expensive!
    My Recipes:
    1 serving strawberries
    1 serving blue berries
    1/2 banana
    Blue Diamond Unsweetened Almond Milk
    Vitol Egg White Protein
    You can substitute the fruit. Some days I use a mango, kiwi, apple or grapes. If I want more fruit I just do a half a serving of each fruit instead of the full serving.

Veggie Smoothie:
    Kale, Baby Spinach, cucumber
    Vitol Egg White Protein
    Blue Diamond Almond Milk
    Same thing you can change out the veggies!

I feel fabulous darling! Cheers to juicing.
  • KReduced
    KReduced Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    bump
  • garnet116
    Options
    . I recommend the Nutribullet because you can just put the entire fruit in and blend it up. Easy to clean too.

Thanks, I will look up this one, too. But aren't you able to put the entire fruit in any of the juicers? I'm new to this so a little unsure..
  • amberbabb26
    amberbabb26 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I've been juicing since nov I have a nice juicer. I had really bad heartburn all the time had to take med every day I started juicing recipe for tht and its gone now and no meds! Juicing also ha cleared my face up a lot no break outs. I juice normally for breakfast sometimes when I get home from work, when juicing fruit I do just half the fruit saves money too and plenty of juice with less sugar. I use beets, kale, ginger root, spinach, grapefruit, oranges, pears, apple, kiwis, carrots, celery, cucumber. To name a few not all together But you will learn whats the best recipe.
  • amberbabb26
    amberbabb26 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    With a blender you would still get pulp of fruit juicer keeps all that out. And just pure juice. You can add the pulp to eat if you like too.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    You should know that juice compliments cocktails nicely and are a great addition to a nice breakfast but when it comes to weight loss nothing beats a moderate calorie deficit coupled with a solid exercise program.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I've been juicing for nearly a year... My best advice is JUICE vegetables and BLEND fruits. Fruits are higher in the Glycemic index, so it's good to retain all of the fiber with them, so BLEND them if you can. VEGETABLES tend to have a lot more cellulose which aren't always yummy to drink blended, so I JUICE my vegetables. Juicing vegetables gets rid of the insoluble fiber, but you still get all the soluble fiber retained in the juice. If I want to do a juice with soft fruits, I'll juice my fiberous vegetables and then pour the juice into the blender with whatever fruits I want to include.

Your juicer matters... Cheap juicers sometimes aren't really efficient. They can also be hard to clean and loud. I paid 250 for my juicer and I've used it almost every day. For me it was the best choice because it is very efficient and quiet. also it takes less than three minutes to clean I have the omega 8004/8006 horizontal juicer. It's AWESOME... If you don't mind a juicer that perhaps leaves a bit of a wetter pulp, then l'equip makes a really decent cheap juicer.. The hamilton also is pretty good. If you get really into juicing, then you can always buy a more efficient juicer down the road. I chose my juicer because I juice a LOT of kale and leafy greens and the omega is one of the most efficient at juicing greens. The omega juicer sucks at juicing soft fruits which is fine with me since I don't believe in juicing fruits anyway.... the only fruits that go in my juicer are apples and citrus.... and very rarely pineapple... everything else gets blended.
  • lilybloom54943
    Options
    I have a Champion that I bought used over 10 years ago for $75. It's big and bulky though. I am looking into Ninja at Target for $199. They are compared to Vitamix. I will just strain pulp out. I love juicing.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    I thought this was going to be about steroids. Nevermind.

My idea of juicing:

4.jpg
  • fromnebraska
    fromnebraska Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I have a Breville; I like it. My only suggestion is to buy one that shoots the pulp out of the juicer instead of collecting the pulp inside. With an external pulp collector you can juice larger volumes of veggies.

Make sure you juice leafy greens and vegetables more than fruit. Usually 1 apple will add enough sweetness to a juice that you won't need any other fruits. Plus carrots and cucumbers are fairly sweet too.
  • garnet116
    Options
    I've been juicing since nov I have a nice juicer. I had really bad heartburn all the time had to take med every day I started juicing recipe for tht and its gone now and no meds! Juicing also ha cleared my face up a lot no break outs.

Wow, that is amazing, thanks for sharing
  • bubbanene
    bubbanene Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    ditch the juicer eat the fruits and veggies
  • garnet116
    Options
    I've been juicing for nearly a year... My best advice is JUICE vegetables and BLEND fruits. Fruits are higher in the Glycemic index, so it's good to retain all of the fiber with them, so BLEND them if you can. VEGETABLES tend to have a lot more cellulose which aren't always yummy to drink blended, so I JUICE my vegetables. Juicing vegetables gets rid of the insoluble fiber, but you still get all the soluble fiber retained in the juice. If I want to do a juice with soft fruits, I'll juice my fiberous vegetables and then pour the juice into the blender with whatever fruits I want to include.

Your juicer matters... Cheap juicers sometimes aren't really efficient. They can also be hard to clean and loud. I paid 250 for my juicer and I've used it almost every day. For me it was the best choice because it is very efficient and quiet. also it takes less than three minutes to clean I have the omega 8004/8006 horizontal juicer. It's AWESOME... If you don't mind a juicer that perhaps leaves a bit of a wetter pulp, then l'equip makes a really decent cheap juicer.. The hamilton also is pretty good. If you get really into juicing, then you can always buy a more efficient juicer down the road. I chose my juicer because I juice a LOT of kale and leafy greens and the omega is one of the most efficient at juicing greens. The omega juicer sucks at juicing soft fruits which is fine with me since I don't believe in juicing fruits anyway.... the only fruits that go in my juicer are apples and citrus.... and very rarely pineapple... everything else gets blended.

Thanks for this! So I will look for a juicer that does both blending and pulping. I know the more expensive ones are probably much nicer... I just don't have the budget for a $300 blender right now :(
  • ruthyluv
    ruthyluv Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    1 1/2-2 cups filtered water
    6 cups spinach
    5 cups organic romaine lettuce
    2 stalks of organic celery
    1 organic apple, cored and chopped
    1 organic pear, cored and chopped
    1 organic banana
    1-2 tbs fresh organic lemon juice

you can add ice cubes, organic cilantro, and parsley if you'd like.

Add the water, spinach, and chopped lettuce to the blender first. Start blender on low speed and gradually move to higher speed..then you add the herbs, celery, pear, and apple. You add the banana and lemon juice last.

If you only want to make 1 serving, you can cut out one of the fruits and the celery.

Enjoy! :)
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    You should know that juice compliments cocktails nicely and are a great addition to a nice breakfast but when it comes to weight loss nothing beats a moderate calorie deficit coupled with a solid exercise program.
    ^^

Also, you're removing the healthy fiber from fruits/vegetables when you juice them. Just eat food and stop being silly.
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    remember it doesnt work for every body, we did juicing in my house, husband lost 30 lbs, DSDaughter lost 22 lbs, i lost 30 days... so meh... like everything else , YMMV
  • garnet116
    Options
    1 1/2-2 cups filtered water
    6 cups spinach
    5 cups organic romaine lettuce
    2 stalks of organic celery
    1 organic apple, cored and chopped
    1 organic pear, cored and chopped
    1 organic banana
    1-2 tbs fresh organic lemon juice

you can add ice cubes, organic cilantro, and parsley if you'd like.

Add the water, spinach, and chopped lettuce to the blender first. Start blender on low speed and gradually move to higher speed..then you add the herbs, celery, pear, and apple. You add the banana and lemon juice last.

If you only want to make 1 serving, you can cut out one of the fruits and the celery.

Enjoy! :)

Thank you!

And for those telling me just to eat fruit and veggies, I already do that, so thanks anyway.
  • lhourin
    lhourin Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Why take out one of the healthiest parts of fruits and veggies (the fiber)?? Juicing is just drinking straight carbohydrates, raising your insulin, promoting fat storage. If you're going to do it, at least balance it with some fat or protein to avoid the insulin spike and resulting dip.