Low carb friends wanted :)

Options
HI I discovered low carb about two months ago and have never felt as well as I do. The reason I started was I was having terrible trouble with tiredness and read a book that recommended cutting down carbs. I then read Atkins. Iv basically cut out bread, pasta, potatoes and crap food (tho I am recovering from a 3 day easter binge :ohwell: )

A little bit about myslef. Im an Irish mother of 4 kids (aged 6, 5 & twin 3yo). Im also a yoga teacher. Im 5ft 3in and weith 9st 1lb (not including binge weight..weigh in day is Fri for me)

Would love some low carb friends if anyone is interested :)

Replies

• rj_cooper
    rj_cooper Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm working on low carb too! I started about a month ago and it was hard for the first week. I was very tired and had a really bad headache for the first four days. I have felt great ever since! I try to keep my carbs under 30 per day for now. I know there are a lot of negative posts about the Atkins shakes but they have worked really well for me as I usually eat on the run for breakfast and lunch. I then eat protein and salad or veggies or even omelettes for dinner. I am finding this pretty easy! (Maybe too easy...lol!)

My goal is to lose another 25 pounds before summer...I really hope I get there! :)
  • VMeserve
    VMeserve Posts: 11
    Options
    I'm a low-carber, too. After counting calories and the scale not budging, I figured something had to change. I feel amazing and interesting sidenote: my keratosis pilaris has cleared up a ton on my arms. Oddly enough, this condition is often linked to gluten and casein intolerance-- both of which I'm not consuming nearly as much of anymore, if at all? I'm definitely not a casein expert, but I'm pretty sure gluten has been eliminated from my diet.
  • Griffin220x
    Griffin220x Posts: 399
    Options
    HI I discovered low carb about two months ago and have never felt as well as I do. The reason I started was I was having terrible trouble with tiredness and read a book that recommended cutting down carbs. I then read Atkins. Iv basically cut out bread, pasta, potatoes and crap food (tho I am recovering from a 3 day easter binge :ohwell: )

A little bit about myslef. Im an Irish mother of 4 kids (aged 6, 5 & twin 3yo). Im also a yoga teacher. Im 5ft 3in and weith 9st 1lb (not including binge weight..weigh in day is Fri for me)

Sorry we can't be friends.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I'm very-low-carb ... I've been ketogenic for 2yrs 4months and currently have around 40-45g of carbohydrate a day on about 2,100 calories, but I'm dieting right now.

On big exercise days during my mass-gaining phase I may have 80 to 100g with around 4,000+ calories. But it's normally under 75g during mass-gaining.

Just FYI I've adopted low-carb as a lifestyle to control my diabetes - and control it well, I do. :smile:
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options

Sorry we can't be friends.

^^^ ditto on that! :laugh:
    Even though i'm trying to lose weight - i'm not cutting no carbs :devil:
  • nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    :smile: Hi and welcome! I've been doing Atkins for a year. I love it! I'm on here everyday. You or anyone else can add me if you'd like! Good luck!
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    low carb here too..
  • smokeyblue81
    smokeyblue81 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just started low carb on Tuesday 4/2/2013. It's going well though I never really feel full. I am going from terrible eating habits so this is a shock on my body. I also have type 1 diabetes so im hoping this will help as I am 24 and my numbers have not been great for a while now. I am excited to see results! Good luck to you!

-Amanda
  • HealthyWarrior
    HealthyWarrior Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I'm trying to cut my carbs a bit. I'm trying to stay under 100 grams a day and maybe eventually start to go lower. Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • wiezinthejuice
    wiezinthejuice Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi I am doing low carb. I would love to be friends! Seeing other diaries would be good for ideas! Anyone who is doing low carb, feel free to add me =)
  • bgh707
    bgh707 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I'm also a low carber! I had great results when I did it in high school, and it's working pretty well now.
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I think many people think of "low carb" as a diet, and think of the word diet as something temporary.

I think we should say our diet is low in simple carbs. When we do that, our diet is not low in carbs at all. It is normal. We were meant to eat complex carbs not man-made items that are called food but are not food at all.

Joanne Moniz
    The Skinny on Obesity Group
  • rhlnda
    rhlnda Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    bump
  • gracjm
    gracjm Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I ran across a good book once upon a time that deals with low carb nutrition plans. It is "The Metabolism Miracle" by Diane Kress, RD, CDE. It is available in paperback and reasonably priced. I think I got mine on Amazon.

It is full of information on how/why low carb nutrition diets work, what to expect and how to change your life toward that end. It is especially useful for folks with diabetes struggling to keep blood glucose under control.

I hope you enjoy and find it beneficial,
    ~Jim
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    South Beach has better options for going restricted on carbs, then Atkins. Carbs are so important, but choosing carbs with a nutritional one two punch, and at the right parts of the day is even more important. They are what you body uses for fuel. Without them you WILL wear down faster! Keep carbs to before 3pm. Have 30 grams of carbs for breakfast, and pre-workout meal.
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    If you do not want to give up the carbs. Try Carb Cycling this works great b/c you still get that comfort food on some level.
  • fluffy925
    fluffy925 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I started low carbing a month ago, all free to add me, looking for supportive low carbers too! :)
  • daneiel
    daneiel Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    l have being work on my low carb diet as well, feel free to add me