running

Options
i am going to start off running 2 miles a day or 3 until i reach 6 miles a day when i quit smoking how long will it take to see results

Replies

• Haeschen
    Haeschen Posts: 2
    Options
    Do you currently run at all? If not, I would start with Couch to 5K - it's an 8 week program that helps you build strength and running stamina. It also allows your body to slowly adjust to the impact of running. I also wouldn't recommend running every day if you've never run before... In general, though, running is a great calorie burning tool!
  • haanmom
    haanmom Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    What kind of results are you hoping to see?

Weight loss? Increased mileage? Increased cardio endurance?
  • RxVirus
    RxVirus Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm not a great runner but when I used to run I felt like actual running and not jogging two miles helped increase my mileage. I wasn't a smoker though that might effect your breathing.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    how long will it take to see results

What kind of results?
  • maureen879
    Options
    i used to be a marathon runner, from the time i was 13 to 15 i used to run an hour a day and i was stick skinny then a year ago i picked up smoking cigs, gained 30 pounds and i run a mile every now and then but i am hoping to lose 30 pounds
  • ddfmendoza
    Options
    Couch to 5K is a great App to help and so is a new one I just downloaded called Zombie Run. It tells you when to run and when to walk. It is pretty cool.
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    i used to be a marathon runner, from the time i was 13 to 15 i used to run an hour a day and i was stick skinny then a year ago i picked up smoking cigs, gained 30 pounds and i run a mile every now and then but i am hoping to lose 30 pounds

Just as a warning - if you're still smoking, be prepared to feel like you're dying and can't even manage more than 30 seconds at a time. Puking is also an option if you manage more than three minutes.

Of course, once you give up, and the initial weeks of coughing up all that **** you've inhaled for years ease off, then you'll feel much, much better.

(Can you tell I used to smoke?)

ETA: And Zombies, Run! and Zombies 5k are AWESOME.
  • mgmirador
    Options
    You also need to take into consideration that at 13-15 years old, your metabolism is MUCH different. Good job on quitting smoking and determine first what your goal is.. run a marathon again? lose weight? just get fit? Your goal will determine how you go about it.

Congrats on quitting smoking! That alone deserves a standing ovation!