A wild guess...

Options
RingSize8
RingSize8 Posts: 175 Member
Does anyone else get insanely frustrated when you eat something from somewhere that doesn't have nutritional information available, and then you hop on the MFP database and/or the internet, and can NOT find something comparable to log in terms of calories? I've spent the better part of the last hour trying to find calories for cheese flautas (what I had for lunch) and basically got nothin'. Ugh. I quick added 500 calories and walked away. ...and yet, somehow, I'm still extremely frustrated. I just keep thinking that I might be waaaay off, and then I start worrying it's going to negatively affect my next weigh in. UGH. I hate it. ...incidentally, does anyone know the amount of calories in two cheese flautas? No? Figured. *kicks rocks*

Replies

• majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Why not just use something close, like the cream cheese flautas or one of the many chicken/cheese or beef/cheese flautas? I'd think that would give a better picture than "quick add" calories.
  • RingSize8
    Options
    Why not just use something close, like the cream cheese flautas or one of the many chicken/cheese or beef/cheese flautas? I'd think that would give a better picture than "quick add" calories.

...that's kinda how I came up with the amount I choose for the quick add.
  • suv_hater
    suv_hater Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Maybe because it's not real food?

Isn't a flauta a rolled tortilla that has been fried in oil? Where in the nutrition paradigm does a food such as this fit in?

Just add up the tortilla, cheese, and estimate the amount of artery clogging oil that was used. Good luck.
  • RxVirus
    RxVirus Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I normally don't eat out so I can input my own recipes by using the bar code scanner on the MFP app. But when I do go out to eat I ask if they have nutritional information available (because I'm vegan) and if they don't have it I simply don't eat there.
  • leighann881
    leighann881 Posts: 371
    Options
    Does anyone else get insanely frustrated when you eat something from somewhere that doesn't have nutritional information available, and then you hop on the MFP database and/or the internet, and can NOT find something comparable to log in terms of calories? I've spent the better part of the last hour trying to find calories for cheese flautas (what I had for lunch) and basically got nothin'. Ugh. I quick added 500 calories and walked away. ...and yet, somehow, I'm still extremely frustrated. I just keep thinking that I might be waaaay off, and then I start worrying it's going to negatively affect my next weigh in. UGH. I hate it. ...incidentally, does anyone know the amount of calories in two cheese flautas? No? Figured. *kicks rocks*

Even if you are off by 500 calories it isn't going to throw off your weigh in by much. You can't lose weight in a day and you can't gain weight in a day.
  • tanniew78
    tanniew78 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I was going to say, when I cant find something online nutrition wise I just break down the ingredients and rough guess how much is in there and there it is. Its not the best but its better than not accounting for it.
  • leighann881
    leighann881 Posts: 371
    Options

???????
    Cheese? Corn?
  • sPaRkLiNgLYFE
    Options
    i googled it and it has 330 calories
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options

...that's kinda how I came up with the amount I choose for the quick add.
    "Quick add" is worthless. I'm saying enter the closest thing you see so you end up with some sort of representation for your macros. Or do as others have suggested and enter the ingredients separately.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I make sure to order very simple foods when I'm out. If the restaurant version is not listed it really doesn't make that much difference. I mean a steak is a steak. Steamed veggies are what they are. But, no, it doesn't bother me if I can't get the exact info on something. In the big picture it won't matter.
  • RingSize8
    Options

Isn't a flauta a rolled tortilla that has been fried in oil? Where in the nutrition paradigm does a food such as this fit in?

Just add up the tortilla, cheese, and estimate the amount of artery clogging oil that was used. Good luck.

It's not real food? Really? Well then. ...thanks for your completely irrelevant opinion. Apparently you aren't one of the IIFIYM devotees on this site, but either way, it's not for you to say what's 'real food' and what's not. I'm almost positive this post didn't have anything to do with what your opinion on real food is - or anyone elses for that matter. If this were one of those posts raving about Pop Tarts being as nutritionally sound as broccoli, I could almost see why you felt the need to respond. Almost.
  • RingSize8
    Options

???????
    Cheese? Corn?

THANK YOU.
  • RingSize8
    Options
    i googled it and it has 330 calories

...where did you find that?! I scoured the Google earth? Was that for two flautas or one? I appreciate it. ;)
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I just throw in all the raw ingredients if I can or I get lazy and go with the closest thing. Oh look up cheese taquitos!

Otherwise I'd go with chicken flautas and add cheese to it.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

Lol silly billy
  • suv_hater
    Options

It's not real food? Really? Well then. ...thanks for your completely irrelevant opinion. Apparently you aren't one of the IIFIYM devotees on this site, but either way, it's not for you to say what's 'real food' and what's not. I'm almost positive this post didn't have anything to do with what your opinion on real food is - or anyone elses for that matter. If this were one of those posts raving about Pop Tarts being as nutritionally sound as broccoli, I could almost see why you felt the need to respond. Almost.
    I'm just trying to help you to the light.

If you're expending all this energy over 'queso flautas' and becoming frustrated on the lack of data, then I would reconsider your approach toward health and wellness. If you ate 1200 cals of flautas de queso, you might end up at the weight you desire. Your overall health though will be #@$#. It's all just a wash in the end. Either eat it and don't worry about it or don't eat it at all.

Eat real foods. Input said real foods into your diary. Live a life of vitality. Realize your human potential.
  • cleback
    cleback Posts: 261 Member
    Options

Don't feed the troll.
  • suv_hater
    Options

Don't feed the troll.
    As if the troll would eat a cheese flauta.
  • SDkitty
    SDkitty Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I would just ignore the troll, everyone has different viewpoints on what they put in their body. Some people are die-hard-my-body-is-a-temple-that-only-accepts-veggies and some people live a bit more realistically. I eat quite healthy, I cook most of my own meals, I use a lot of fresh produce, but I'll be damned if when I want some greasy flautas if I'm going to deny myself. I am not a food monk. Very few of us are. If you are really worried that you were higher calories than you wanted then push it a little harder at the gym/workout today :flowerforyou:
  • RingSize8
    Options
    I would just ignore the troll, everyone has different viewpoints on what they put in their body. Some people are die-hard-my-body-is-a-temple-that-only-accepts-veggies and some people live a bit more realistically. I eat quite healthy, I cook most of my own meals, I use a lot of fresh produce, but I'll be damned if when I want some greasy flautas if I'm going to deny myself. I am not a food monk. Very few of us are. If you are really worried that you were higher calories than you wanted then push it a little harder at the gym/workout today :flowerforyou:

This! ...unfortunately I'm basically working a 14 hour day today, which is why I splurged on a big lunch in the first place, as I knew it would be my only meal. Tomorrow I will drill and kill with the workout though - good advice. I think part of the reason I was actually stressed was because realistically I knew a workout was gonna happen today. Thanks!