My weight is staying the exact same!

Options
I'm not really sure where I'm going wrong, if I need to eat more or exercise less. I'm 23, I'm 5'7" and 146 lbs. I just started exercising/changing my diet a month ago, so I know I haven't been doing it long enough to see huge results, but I feel like my weight should have dropped a little by now and I've only lost 2-3 lbs. I usually manage to top 1200 calories a day, but sometimes I don't eat quite that much. I do some form of exercise six days a week, alternating between a workout video and cardio at the gym every other day, always for 20-25 minutes. So I'm not burning a huge amount of calories, usually around 175 or so. But my weight has stayed 146.6 exactly for a straight week now, with no variation at all. Is it just that I'm not eating enough? I'd appreciate any advice I can get!

Replies

• kavanaghev
    kavanaghev Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert and don't have enough stats to make a better guess, but I think you probably need to eat more. I plateaued around your weight and had to up my calories in order to see additional fat loss. However, I don't recommend eating just whatever to hit that number. Eat good nutritious foods. Being healthy is hard sometimes, but you should make it a priority to properly fuel your body. Eating less than 1200 calories is pretty much never enough.
  • bluesodapop
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! I'm guessing part of it is because I don't have much weight to lose - only 10 or 15 lbs - so it's going to come off more slowly. I've been trying to stay as nutritious as possible, but I'm still learning how to shop healthy and put together well balanced meals and such. I guess what I need to do is stay off the scale for a week and not worry about the number. How much did you have to increase your calorie intake when you plateaued?
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Are you measuring yourself? You may not be losing weight, but you could still be losing inches.
  • Haeschen
    Haeschen Posts: 2
    Options
    Don't forget that your cycle often impacts weight loss - one week a month, my weight fluctuates dramatically!
  • bluesodapop
    Options
    Are you measuring yourself? You may not be losing weight, but you could still be losing inches.

Unfortunately I don't have anything to measure myself right now. :/ I've been meaning to get a measuring tape, but I haven't had time to go out and get one. So I have no idea if I've lost inches - probably not a good thing! But my clothes haven't really started fitting much differently yet.
    Don't forget that your cycle often impacts weight loss - one week a month, my weight fluctuates dramatically!

I'm not sure where I am in my cycle because I skipped last month. Probably because that's when I started exercising; it tends to fluctuate when I change my activity levels. So I guess that could be part of it!
  • akshayam29
    Options
    Its seems like you have a poor metabolism in your body probably because you are eating too less calories. As long as your body gets healthy calories from healthy foods there is a very little chances of getting fat. Up your calories. Add some foods like sweet potatoes, avocado (eat them together for more benefits). Add egg and fish. After every meal, start sipping green tea. it ups your metabolism. If possible, try to get vegan protein shakes (once or twice a day). Eat in small portions at regular intervals. Make sure you are getting at least 2000 or little higher than it and carry out your exercise routine. I am pretty sure you will start loosing your fat weight and start feeling much active and healthy