Training for a Warrior Dash/5K with obstacles

Options
I am about to do something similar to the Warrior Dash. Its called the ReALLIEty challenge.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_wHYhi399U
Ive done plenty of 5Ks but never something like this. Does anyone now how to
1. train
2. Pace myself during the race?
It is in one week! (I am currently running 4 miles in preparation at a 10 minute pace and my usual race pace is 9 min)

Replies

• Hanjamlan
    Hanjamlan Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Has anyone done something like this?
  • Hanjamlan
    Options
    I'm guessing no?
  • lumstead0317
    lumstead0317 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I found these when I was looking up the same thing a few weeks ago.
    http://www.active.com/fitness/Articles/4-Ways-to-Train-for-an-Obstacle-Course-Race
    http://www.obstacleracers.com/2012/01/03/5-perfect-obstacle-race-exercises/
    I haven't run an obstacle 5k yet, but I hope these help!
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I just did the Spartan Race. The 5 Mile version known as the Sprint. It really wasn't too hard. My advice is work on your running and upper body strength. You should be able to do monkey bars, carry 40lbs 100 feet, and at least 2 or 3 pull ups.

5K is only 3.1 miles. So as a daily workout I would recommend the following:

Jog 2 miles

20 Sit Ups
    10 Push Ups
    10 Burpees
    Repeat the situps, pushups, burpees 5 times (throughout the day or in a row what ever works for you)

Otherwise, it should be a lot of fun. Don't let them psych you out, those races are for fun unless you're a true athlete and then they go for time.
  • Hanjamlan
    Options
    So it sounds like running isn't the best preparation? It sounds like I need to be doing lots of strength? Run enough to be confortable running 3.2 miles but really focus on upper body? Is that the muscles you work out most? upper body? Is that the part that gets tired the quickest?
    And yes I am super excited about doing it because it looks VERY FUN! but also I am thinking about the time. Although I'm not a serious athlete, I am very competitive! So I'm thinking about time and endurance.
    Also Mike, would you suggest a good way to pace myself during the race? Fast running and slow on obstacles or reversed?
  • imjusme
    imjusme Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    So maybe I am not the best person to give you advice but I will offer anyway. I did a Tough Mudder last year in April in 36 degree weather...with three of my girlfriends. I had not been working out and was even a smoker.....but I finished! Having did one without any exercise at all I would say cardio is great and like another poster said...upper body. Most of our obstacles involved upper body. Also, for our race it was 90% trail running which none of us ever did. So besides dodging brush and falling rocks our knees (especially the back) were killing us by the end. I am not sure what the terrain will be like for yours. And as for me, i vowed last year to be in shape for this go around! Signed up for June TM again! Good Luck!
  • jaded_rose
    jaded_rose Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking of doing this in either July or September in Michigan. Don't know if July will give me enough time but good luck with this.
  • Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I am about to do something similar to the Warrior Dash. Its called the ReALLIEty challenge.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_wHYhi399U
    Ive done plenty of 5Ks but never something like this. Does anyone now how to
    1. train
    2. Pace myself during the race?
    It is in one week! (I am currently running 4 miles in preparation at a 10 minute pace and my usual race pace is 9 min)

I ran this race last year...and again this year. I think as long as you pace yourself, you'll be fine....the mud will slow you down anyway. You will need some upper body strength (which I do not have, but I did complete all obstacles).

Enjoy!
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I did a WD in February. Since you only have a week, I don't really know what type of training advice will do any good. I did a lot of upper body strength training before and I know that helped me (I had NO upper body strength before that). The running part was the least of my worries for this race!

A couple things I did that helped were to wear surf shorts (getting in and out of water a lot they helped as they didn't cling to my legs) and I bought a cheap pair of lifting gloves to use. Even though the gloves will get wet, I didn't find that to be a problem and I needed it to grip the rope pulling myself up and over the wall.

Unless you are in the first wave of the day, forget about doing this for a fast time and just have fun!
  • MadisonLeo
    Options
    I doing a similar race next weekend called the Hero Rush. 5 miles Firefighter training obstacle course.

I am taking 60 minute Cross Fit training classes. We usually focus on upper, lower and core each class. Also weighted squats. My legs are so much stronger and I can run faster now and handle more intense workouts.

I also am training for a marathon and run 4 days a week for a minimum of 5 miles now. The first five weeks the minimum was 3 miles. My pace has increased from 15 to 12 minute miles. Since it is a 1/2 marathon, I am not trying to go faster and burn out quickly.
  • Jenn728
    Options
    A couple things I did that helped were to wear surf shorts (getting in and out of water a lot they helped as they didn't cling to my legs) and I bought a cheap pair of lifting gloves to use. Even though the gloves will get wet, I didn't find that to be a problem and I needed it to grip the rope pulling myself up and over the wall.

Gloves are definitely recommended!
  • Hanjamlan
    Options
    Gloves. wow. never thought of that. So basically anything with grip? and explain to me what kind of shoes NOT to wear.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Gloves. wow. never thought of that. So basically anything with grip? and explain to me what kind of shoes NOT to wear.

I had saved my last pair of worn out shoes to use for the race. They were good enough for one more day and I didn't have to worry that they would be so muddy that I would never be able to use them again. FYI - you can donate your muddy shoes at the end of a WD. They will clean them and send them off to someplace that can use them.

I did see a lot of people using the rubber/barefoot shoes. I would think they would be helpful and clean up well.
  • coachisom
    Options
    If u do strength, like CrossFit, you'll naturally be a better runner, if u want to work in some running I would do 400m sprints in between your working strength sets
  • Jenn728
    Options

I just went to Walmart and got some cheap Gold's Gym ones.

Old sneakers would be fine. You can leave them there or take them home and run them through the washer for next time.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I did a Tough Mudder last year. Some of the obstacles were really hard and some were actually really easy. You definitely need upper body strength to get over walls, do monkey bars, etc. For this, lift weights. You need lower body power to be able to jump and sprint up steep hills. For this, you can do "plyometric" workouts. You also need endurance to run. Also, you have to realize that it is a lot of trail running which is a lot different from road running. For this, run through trails at your nearest park.
  • Hanjamlan
    Options
    Y'all are giving me such good advice I wish I had 2 months to prepare instead of a couple days! Thank you! I will definitely sign up for something else like this and use all this great advice!
  • Jenn728
    Options
    Y'all are giving me such good advice I wish I had 2 months to prepare instead of a couple days! Thank you! I will definitely sign up for something else like this and use all this great advice!

There is a race in Winnie, TX called Winne Wars. It's less intense than ReALLIEty Challenge but loads of fun. They are actually having one this Saturday too, which I'm bummed that I can't do both lol. I did Winne Wars twice last year with some girl friends.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    So it sounds like running isn't the best preparation? It sounds like I need to be doing lots of strength? Run enough to be confortable running 3.2 miles but really focus on upper body? Is that the muscles you work out most? upper body? Is that the part that gets tired the quickest?
    And yes I am super excited about doing it because it looks VERY FUN! but also I am thinking about the time. Although I'm not a serious athlete, I am very competitive! So I'm thinking about time and endurance.
    Also Mike, would you suggest a good way to pace myself during the race? Fast running and slow on obstacles or reversed?

i'm getting ready to run my second mud run (obstacle course). i'm doing rugged maniac (similar). if you can run 4 miles then you're good (think i read you can run 4). you need to focus on strength! especially upper body. my very first race was a mud run and i instantly became addicted and started running for real. i had zero upper body strength but i did all but 1 obstacle. i had to have help over every single wall (including the startling line wall yes a 4.6' wall to GET TO THE STARTING LINE). i gave up at the second 12 foot wall and walked around it. DAMN WALLS!!!!!!!

pace yourself on running. my race required a lot of upper body. pulling, climbing, crawling, dragging yourself uphill through a plastic tunnel with a rope - lots of upper body.

the rush from being there will help you along the course but don't push yourself to injury. good luck have fun! my race is april 20th and i'm already super excited!!!!!

not sure how muddy your race will be but mine is SUPER MUDDY (hello it's a mud race) so running with caked on MUD on trails is also very different from running trails and WAY different from running pavement/treadmill.
  • SunnyE22
    SunnyE22 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've done 2 Warrior Dashes. Both tons of fun! I'm super competative, too, but honestly, it's more fun just to go and enjoy it. It's all about getting dirty, tackling the obstacles and having fun....not about a good time on the clock.

My first Dash I was not in shape AT ALL. And I was able to finish, no problem. My second Dash I was really in shape and I was able to finish, no problem. I wasn't out to break any land-speed records, remember... But I don't think you need any specific training.

As far as a pace goes, depending on what your course is like, I would take it easy and not start out fast like you would maybe on a typcial 5K road race. Nice and easy... Remember, no land-speed records. :)

As far as equipment, and again, depending on what your course is like (ours was hilly, through damp woods and muddy!), cleats might be beneficial. My brother and sister wore cleats last year and they both said that they helped them significantly. My cleats aren't comfortable enough to run 3 miles in so I just opted for sneakers.

Good luck! You'll have a blast!